Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:40 AM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Speak up people of Kansas and tell the public what YOU love about your state!
If you really love your state, then keep it to yourself, or go along with the bashers, don't deny anything they're saying about Kansas.

I was recently on a Cour d'Alene, Idaho thread, someone there lamenting about all the Californian's and outsiders who have moved there and destroyed the place. Serves the original habitants right, those that took offense to those bashing the city, and someone who might have started a thread: What do you love the most about Cour d'Alene?

I can only think of a hundred reasons why you wouldn't want to move to Las Vegas, not a single reason you'd want to move here.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Jersey City is pretty amazing. It just came out of nowhere.
It was like starting a garden , scrubbed the land , cleaned it up , and planted the infrastructure, and watched it grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Leave it like it is. It keeps out the riff-raff.
Nah , build a gaint Golden Tumbleweed , or open a Great Depression Museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hoboken has some real character. Property taxes are pure insanity from what I hear. It makes New Hampshire's property taxes appear like a walk in the park.
Yes , NJ is expensive , but we do get our bang for our buck. Everyone in the state has acess to a bus line within 2-7 miles of there homes. High Speed Commuter service on the Electric line up 125mph. Education is the best in the Country , low crime rates in the Urban areas (except Camden) Hoboken is very expensive due to the fact that its located in the NJ Gold Coast (mini Manhattan) and is only 2.0SQ with a population of 40,577 @ 30,239.2/sq mi....but up on the Cliffs in Jersey City Height's the taxes are much lower and rent is cheaper. A few town's away is the most densly populated town in North America , Guttenburg which is 0.2SQ and a population 10,601 @ 56,011.9/sq mi , so you guys in Kansas are very lucky to have that much space. 30% of NJ is Urban (mostly Northern) , i live in the Suburbs though, but will work in Newark or Jersey City soon. I met a Kansas Couple @ the Newark Cherry Blossom festival 2 weeks ago , very nice wanted to know where the Best food in Jersey was.

My last 2 photos , becuz i don't want to annoy you guys, i took this one at the Liberty Science Center , its of Downtown Jersey City & Lower Manhattan

& A Street scene form Hoboken aka Yuppie / Double Parking City

Look in here for the rest ....Flickr: Nexis4Jersey09's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/ - broken link)

Anyway getting back to Kansas , you are the only Midwestern State that i haven't seen a Tourism ad whether online or on tv , why is that? Ive seen form most the states even Guam & Pr , 90% the World , but no Kansas?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,208,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Does anyone NOT think this is the same troll?
yes

Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,208,130 times
Ya know, I look at these pictures of New Jersey and think, "that's why I live on the prairie!"
In the city, they don't even have a full view of the SKY!! That can not be good for the soul...

And all of those cars, buildings, and PEOPLE! Even their "country" is crowded! How can one appreciate their neighbors if they can't escape them for a while??
No thanks!!

Give me land, lots of land and the starry skies above...

Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loansomeroadsbeck View Post
Call people a troll when you do not like what they say, you are't a tea bagger by chance are you? Kansas sucks, just let people have their thread and go to the sunshine nd lolly pops kansas thread where you can talk about wheat feilds and sun flowers and flat land OH MY, lol. If you spent less time trying to convicne those of us [the majority] that kansas is great and more time where you are happy I think you may even find it easy to talke to real people. I don't know for sure but its worth a shot right skippy?
Don't you ever get bored with creating new accounts? You don't think anyone's taking you seriously anymore, do you?

itMeFred, that's more or less what I was thinking. I love visiting big cities. They're fun and exciting for a while, but I need a big sky and fresh air to truly relax. I guess it's a great thing that not everyone feels comfortable living in the same place. Otherwise the cities would really be overcrowded or their would be no 'out in the country'.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM

64 posts, read 145,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loansomeroadsbeck View Post
Call people a troll when you do not like what they say, you are't a tea bagger by chance are you? Kansas sucks, just let people have their thread and go to the sunshine nd lolly pops kansas thread where you can talk about wheat feilds and sun flowers and flat land OH MY, lol. If you spent less time trying to convicne those of us [the majority] that kansas is great and more time where you are happy I think you may even find it easy to talke to real people. I don't know for sure but its worth a shot right skippy?
Le sigh...with all do respect, I'm NOT a tea bagger, but one's political affiliation has nothing to do with where they want to live.

If you don't like Kansas, then make yourself a plan to get out. Stop complaining because you're wasting your energy when you could be looking up information on a place that you'd actually like to live in.

I think Kansas is awesome and I am so excited to return to this lovely state and see my wheatfields, sunflowers, gorgeous rolling hills and get hit with all the Wiz references.

Ad astra per aspera!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,605,247 times
Kansas doesn't have much to offer, pure and simple. For some of us it's called home. Doesn't matter where home is, it's always better there. It's familiar, there is no unknown.

Bash it or praise it, doesn't really matter. People are what makes a place home. I'm not for the "happy" crowd, nor am I for the "douche bag" crowd.

As always, post'n w/a smile.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,119,134 times
I've driven across KS several times, first as a kid on my way from Houston to Kansas City. I found it intriguing. Then in adulthood, I found my way driving west on I-70 heading from Chicagoland to Arizona in December. I wanted to stop and take pictures of the vastness of the landscape but my travel companion said it was a crime to stop on the road without an emergency. I still managed a few shots, though. By the time we got to Oakley in far western KS, we decided to get off the interstate and travel on US40 through some small towns, stopping in Sharon Springs for a meal. The waitress asked us if we were there for hunting season. It was a cloudy but warm day and the landscape around us seemed to conceal things in its hollows and dips as our eyes reached the horizon unimpeded. Soon, we entered Colorado and my naivete made me think we'd be seeing mountains very soon. Alas, that did not occur.

I have returned several times in the last 5 years, crossing through Sharon Springs again just for the memories, and visiting Dorothy's house in Liberal. Unfortunately, that was the only part of Liberal worth seeing as I stayed one night and walked around the town looking for a restaurant that never materialized. A bit scary. But maybe it was the harshness of the lighting and the prevalence of the poverty that I saw on my jaunt around town. I also had to stop in Greensburg where I was struck by the scarred trees and missing buildings. I also saw the strange artwork of a farmer in nearby Mullinville that told me I was not in a normal place.

Heading east past wind farms, the land slopes ever so gently downwards and the brown/green of western KS gives way to the larger green of eastern KS. I fell in love with Lawrence and Manhattan (gotta visit college towns) and there was one area near one of these towns that felt like the land itself had reached up and grabbed my heart. It felt like home. I hope it wasn't the weather that day, but if I found a small well-kept farmhouse with a couple of acres around it right then and there, I'd have stopped my wanderlust and planted my feet in terra firma. I could just see my family's faces as I tell them that "I moved to Kansas!" I'd have spent my days enjoying my upstairs bedroom with the sunlight and wind filtering through the open windows, gently cascading the sheer curtains. I'd have run outside at the slightest hint of thunder to watch the storms growing overhead. I'd have winked at the farmer's kids as I picked out the best corn from the roadside stand. I'd have taken that small polebarn in the back yard (still don't know why it's called that) and turned it into a studio to reclaim my status as an artist. There's a famous painting of a Kansas wheatfield under stormclouds called "Gold and Grey", but I forget the artist's name. I spent $30 way back in 1974--alot for a 13-year old--so I could hang a print of it on my wall. It inspired me. The roiling clouds, the lost intersection of gravel roads beneath them. I wonder where that was...

When the wind blows--and we all know it blows in KS--can you tell where it's from? Does it smell like the Arctic in the winter when it blows from the north? Perhaps I'll know one day, should I ever find myself a partner and plant my feet there, in the center of the continent. There's no place like home.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 04-21-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 PM

396 posts, read 991,033 times
Wow. I really enjoyed reading that. As I read each line, a memory of my own filled in the picture. This was one of the best descriptions of why people like Kansas. You've put into words something that is very difficult to describe, because in a lot of ways Kansas isn't "obvious" or "physical" like the mountains but spiritual and in a lot of ways more personal. More than anything it makes me think of my grandparents and what it may have been like for them growing up.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM

396 posts, read 991,033 times
[/quote]When the wind blows--and we all know it blows in KS--can you tell where it's from? Does it smell like the Arctic in the winter when it blows from the north? Perhaps I'll know one day, should I ever find myself a partner and plant my feet there, in the center of the continent. There's no place like home.[/quote]

Things like this is what makes me love being a historian. Now, I know this has to do weather, but taking time to smell, and feel something from far away both in time or in this case distance makes what to some seem meaningless, a great personal connection to whats around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas