U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
 
4,403 posts, read 3,491,581 times
Reputation: 2858
Kansas has a certain "middleness" to it that is kind of comforting. I'm trying to explore why the state seems to appeal to me and I've come up with that term to help identify it. Really, there's no reason for a left-leaning gay guy to tout the virtues of a decidedly red state, but I find the land calling to me. And, as I wrote earlier, there was a certain place near one of its college towns that I found the land grabbing at me. Funny, it was in the lone blue county in the whole state. It must be a past-life thing, a subject I think would scatter most Kansans from the room!

There is something to be found in Kansas' slightly-tilted landscape that tells you you're inbetween two things while simultaneously telling you that you are right where you should be. Kansas is inbetween the forests of the east and the mountains of the west. It's where the air gets bounced back and forth between the tropics and the arctic. It's a crossing point, where, if the atmospheric conditions are right, you might spot covered wagons on the horizon like a mirage out of time. Maybe it's this historical aspect that lures me there, one that hints of a country "becoming". We would not have been America if not for the expansion westward, and that growth started on the plains, a place best typified by Kansas.

It's not the best looking place around, that's for sure. It's often a tabletop who's edges must be imagined since they can't be seen. But it's got hills and valleys to break the monotony and rivers and forests to find solace in. There's nothing like the marching of cumulus clouds across a sea of grassland to make you feel alive. You can watch the waves in the grass and see the wind coming at you before you can even hear it. For those who find it boring, Kansas requires patience. It takes time for it to tell you its stories. You have to allow them to percolate up through the ground.

 
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Derby, KS
3,832 posts, read 7,672,626 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So ic , but still what trees you had are gone, replaced with pavement and homes
LOL... no...what he said was true. There were not many trees here to begin with. With most of the state being prarie-land not much of it has ever had trees. There are probably more trees here now because of residents planting and caring for them than there ever were before. Example: My neighborhood likely used to be an open field with few if-any trees. But now that they have developed it there is probably a tree for every 1/10th acre. Check out google maps if you don't buy into this theory. You'll see a much much greater concentration of trees in residentially developed areas than you will in undeveloped portions of the state.
 
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 2,119,458 times
Reputation: 709
Presumably the über-troll (he of a thousand usernames) lives somewhere in Kansas, but what's the Jersey guy doing in this section? Did he just wander in randomly? Did he used to live in Kansas, or does he have a special interest in the state for some reason? Hmm!!
 
Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,419 posts, read 8,805,262 times
Reputation: 3015
He just showed up after somebody mentioned "jersey". Probably did a search on Jersey, this thread popped up and the rest is history.

I do the same thing once in a while when I search for Kansas City. Some douchbag saying KC is some boring city in Kansas in some other forum, I will jump in and promptly correct them!

Funny website:

http://www.kansascityisinmissouri.com/

http://www.kansascityisinmissouri.com/workspace/images/map.jpg (broken link)
 
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Derby, KS
3,832 posts, read 7,672,626 times
Reputation: 1556
^^^That's hillarious!
 
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: southwest Nebraska and northwest Kansas
2,099 posts, read 2,753,889 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
LOL... no...what he said was true. There were not many trees here to begin with. With most of the state being prarie-land not much of it has ever had trees. There are probably more trees here now because of residents planting and caring for them than there ever were before. Example: My neighborhood likely used to be an open field with few if-any trees. But now that they have developed it there is probably a tree for every 1/10th acre. Check out google maps if you don't buy into this theory. You'll see a much much greater concentration of trees in residentially developed areas than you will in undeveloped portions of the state.
Um, SHE.
But 'tis true that Kansas (as well as Nebraska and the Dakotas) definitely have more trees now than when pioneers were passing through. Even along the rivers and creeks, there were almost no trees.
There's a reason Arbor Day, that first Earth Day, originated on the prairie afterall...
Not to mention, many of us on the prairie have planted many a tree in our lives.

For me personally, I lost count about 20 years ago after my second thousand. Seriously.
 
Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,329 posts, read 12,810,419 times
Reputation: 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
LOL... no...what he said was true. There were not many trees here to begin with. With most of the state being prarie-land not much of it has ever had trees. There are probably more trees here now because of residents planting and caring for them than there ever were before. Example: My neighborhood likely used to be an open field with few if-any trees. But now that they have developed it there is probably a tree for every 1/10th acre. Check out google maps if you don't buy into this theory. You'll see a much much greater concentration of trees in residentially developed areas than you will in undeveloped portions of the state.
Interesting , but still not enough. You need MOAR trees , I want a forest planted by the time i drive through there in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Presumably the über-troll (he of a thousand usernames) lives somewhere in Kansas, but what's the Jersey guy doing in this section? Did he just wander in randomly? Did he used to live in Kansas, or does he have a special interest in the state for some reason? Hmm!!
I Never did , but i find the state interesting , I like Greensburg. They should promote some ECO-Tourism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
He just showed up after somebody mentioned "jersey". Probably did a search on Jersey, this thread popped up and the rest is history.

I do the same thing once in a while when I search for Kansas City. Some douchbag saying KC is some boring city in Kansas in some other forum, I will jump in and promptly correct them!

Funny website:

Kansas City is in Missouri - Home
That's exactly how i found this thread and you guessed it. I like to Inject my Garden State ways into almost every thread i use. " Jersey guy" Next time you Ingest any Medication , Eat Campbell Soup , or Oreos , Use Verizon Wireless think of me and my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Um, SHE.
But 'tis true that Kansas (as well as Nebraska and the Dakotas) definitely have more trees now than when pioneers were passing through. Even along the rivers and creeks, there were almost no trees.
There's a reason Arbor Day, that first Earth Day, originated on the prairie afterall...
Not to mention, many of us on the prairie have planted many a tree in our lives.

For me personally, I lost count about 20 years ago after my second thousand. Seriously.
That's the one thing i never got is how there were 2 Kansas Cities
 
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,419 posts, read 8,805,262 times
Reputation: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That's the one thing i never got is how there were 2 Kansas Cities
Yea, but KCK is to KCMO as Camden is to Philly
 
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
390 posts, read 889,992 times
Reputation: 220
I was raised in IN...I agree with the OP in many respects...and if you travel and relocate, you'd be shocked at how people recognize your work ethic and kindness...

Case in point, I live in West LA...and though I still yell at the drivers and get aggravated as much as the next guy, I hold doors open for people and smile often...and get looked at as if I'm from another planet daily...I am...it's called Fort Wayne!
 
Old 04-23-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Derby, KS
3,832 posts, read 7,672,626 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
For me personally, I lost count about 20 years ago after my second thousand. Seriously.
That's cool!

I just planted 3 maples in my yard last weekend. Grow baby grow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top