Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 9,233 times

Advertisements

We are actually planning on moving to Kansas, we not really sure what part yet, how ever I was looking at Salina. We have a large family so we are wanting to move somewhere not to big but not to small. Does any one have any suggestions. We have always lived in the south so I know that moving to kansas will be a change. Any suggestions on a great place to raise a large family of (5)kids. How are the jobs, my husband is looking for a forklift driving, manufacturing,production, or warehouse postion. How are the schools as I have a 7th, 3rd and kindengardener attending school. any replies would be greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM

12,879 posts, read 13,542,551 times
With your husband's skill the only place I would risk making a blind move is Kansas City Kansas. The " KC Bottoms" are a forklift drivers mecca. Lots of factories, warehouses, and the pay is good. Go to associated wholesale grocers Welcome to Associated Wholesale Grocers they are pretty big. Lots of Ag and food industries in KC.

People will try to scare you off KCK because the crime and poor schools, but like any urban area the more money you make the easier it is to avoid bad neighborhoods and bad schools. especially if you don't mind driving in to work. This might sound nuts , but I have know three different people who commuted over 100 miles to work in KCK , they must of had a good paying job.That is a little extreme but there are decent schools in KCK, you might look at Tunner or Bashor schools, there is also work all along Kansas Avenue which wouln't be much of a commute

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-31-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Is their a specific reason why you are looking at Kansas as opposed to other states like Nebraska or Iowa? Omaha and Des Moines both have fairly good economies with lots of blue collar jobs. The cost of living there might be a touch lower than KC. Also, you might research the oil and gas boom areas of western North Dakota (Williston, Dickinson, Minot). Tons of jobs there, but housing is pretty tight. Another area with a lot of industrial jobs (mine related) would be Gillette, WY.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 9,233 times
Theres no specific reason for us to move to kansas. We just want a change of pace, we want to be able to be away from medling family memebers and to get a fresh start. My husband use to be a truck driver and wanted to move to Colorado but since it is very exspesive there we decided on Kansas.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM

34 posts, read 81,251 times
Seriously look into Manhattan. With K-State University, Fort Riley and the National Bio-defense facility that is starting construction, Manhattan is one of the very few places that is experiencing growth at a time when other places are not. Manhattan is a wonderful town with a great mixture of professors, soldiers, students, farmers and soon to be scientists.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarrow5 View Post
We are actually planning on moving to Kansas, we not really sure what part yet, how ever I was looking at Salina. We have a large family so we are wanting to move somewhere not to big but not to small. Does any one have any suggestions. We have always lived in the south so I know that moving to kansas will be a change. Any suggestions on a great place to raise a large family of (5)kids. How are the jobs, my husband is looking for a forklift driving, manufacturing,production, or warehouse postion. How are the schools as I have a 7th, 3rd and kindengardener attending school. any replies would be greatly appreciated..
You won't notice any difference from bama except more snow and less Confederate flags. Other than that, not a lot of differences. Salina is a nice little city. The schools are good. As for jobs, they are probably hard to come by as they are about everywhere these days.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
With your husband's skill the only place I would risk making a blind move is Kansas City Kansas. The " KC Bottoms" are a forklift drivers mecca. Lots of factories, warehouses, and the pay is good. Go to associated wholesale grocers Welcome to Associated Wholesale Grocers they are pretty big. Lots of Ag and food industries in KC.

People will try to scare you off KCK because the crime and poor schools, but like any urban area the more money you make the easier it is to avoid bad neighborhoods and bad schools. especially if you don't mind driving in to work. This might sound nuts , but I have know three different people who commuted over 100 miles to work in KCK , they must of had a good paying job.That is a little extreme but there are decent schools in KCK, you might look at Tunner or Bashor schools, there is also work all along Kansas Avenue which wouln't be much of a commute
Work in the bottoms and live in Johnson or Leavenworth County

Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM

25,550 posts, read 21,738,439 times
We spent 2 years in SE Alabama and returned to Kansas. We found that area around Fort Rucker at the time (4 years ago) to be booming compared to the economy in Kansas. Jobs here are pretty hard to come by right now. If you buy a home, expect to be stuck with it and trying to rent with such a big family will present some problems too. I wish we would have stayed in Alabama and we have considered returning there. Have jobs before you come and a place to live lined up. Salina is nice, my favorite city in Kansas but for the size of the town, there aren't a lot of jobs - my husband has been watching the job market since he is unemployed as are many in our town, the surrounding towns, etc. Beware of housing that seems "cheaper" in Salina as they do have areas that not everyone would want to live in - if you can't afford at least the medium priced homes there - don't move there but choose something in a smaller city maybe close to Salina. I am originally from Michigan and in good economic times I don't think it can be beat. We have made a couple or more moves like this and it is tough if you don't have housing and jobs lined up ahead of time - but, always remember and never forget "There's no place like home."

Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Try a small town like ours, Garnett. Garnett is friendly, good schools, and if you are interested and may different churchs. Jobs are hard to find unless you are willing to drive. Lawrence is an hour away, Olathe and farther north will an hour or longer. Ottawa is and 1/2 hour away. Iola is an 1/2 hour away. I have not lived in Salina but lived 45 minutes away from there in a very small town. This was twenty or so years ago and jobs were always hard to find in that area. Small towns are better for the kids. An there is no place like home

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM

71 posts, read 241,221 times
For job in Manhattan, Kansas, check out www.nationjob.com/manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas