Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 18,041 times

Advertisements

i was just kinda wondering, is kansas big for high school football or is it an after thought. I have a nephew who may be moving to wichita and was just wondering how well attented hs football is here. my initial thoughts would be heck no but maybe im wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM

396 posts, read 992,528 times
I'd say it depends on where you live. It can be really well supported. However, this is not the south, and we don't worship the game. If that's what you mean by well attended than we have nothing to match it. That said, Hutch and Derby have had success the past several years so I would imagine they have strong community support. In a lot of ways Kansas is basketball country but support varies from sport to sport depending on the district and even individual schools' history.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM

321 posts, read 1,210,092 times
Yes, there is very much community support for ALL high school sports programs, not just football. Your nephew won't be playing to empty bleachers.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
Yes, there is very much community support for ALL high school sports programs, not just football. Your nephew won't be playing to empty bleachers.

Exactly.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,311,663 times
Well I wouldn't say all sports are supported in all towns. Where I live they have to beg people to go to none football sports. Soccer is popular I guess. Every year people on the teams ask the white population to go to the games but few go because a lot of parents can't grown up and don't want us there even though their kids are the ones who ask.

Basketball games can usually be empty in a lot of towns too depending on the schools and teams record. When I went to a game in Lakin Kansas vs Thomas More Prep from Hays I swear there were more people from hays there then Lakin and Hays is over 2 hours away. That being said its hard to find seats on the home side during football of course...

Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Well I wouldn't say all sports are supported in all towns. Where I live they have to beg people to go to none football sports. Soccer is popular I guess. Every year people on the teams ask the white population to go to the games but few go because a lot of parents can't grown up and don't want us there even though their kids are the ones who ask.

Basketball games can usually be empty in a lot of towns too depending on the schools and teams record. When I went to a game in Lakin Kansas vs Thomas More Prep from Hays I swear there were more people from hays there then Lakin and Hays is over 2 hours away. That being said its hard to find seats on the home side during football of course...
Not sure what you are trying to say with your "white" comment coupled with your words that seem really jumbled. I for one don't care about which group of future roofers and janitors is going to score more points than the other and suck up pages and pages of print in the local paper about how awesome it is.

We worship athletics then complain about not having good jobs...while some kid in China is busy studying.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Mathguy,

I do agree, we need to emphasize education much more than we do. However I know a lot of former athletes, even college athletes that are engineers etc. My wife is included. (she's a nerd) That said, I know what you meant and agree.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Mathguy,

I do agree, we need to emphasize education much more than we do. However I know a lot of former athletes, even college athletes that are engineers etc. My wife is included. (she's a nerd) That said, I know what you meant and agree.
100% agreement.

I went to a small highschool and got more "press" clippings for being a mildly above average athlete than I did for being a national merit finalist.

Sports is great for youth, there are a lot of studies o
n that. Just once it crosses the line into the kids being worshipped and having grades fixed etc. etc. and not to mention steroids (two of my cousins used them in HS football) and it's crazy. Also, some of the crappier schools you just get beat up for being a good student. <sigh>

Heck, I have a relative on full ride to Div1 right now...quite possibly a future olympian but her folks made sure she got an education too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas