Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdalicex99 View Post
dum de dum.. I have enjoyed reading this thread.. and am thankful for good advice.. I have to say that again to re-iterate what I said before I would not be interested in LIVING in a WOOFing situation along with my daughter, who will be eight at the time of move by the way.. I was just inquiring about if there were such communities on Kua`ai.. I would like to go, volunteer, do a weekend, learn about sustainable living.. I AM NOT one of those hippies who believe in " gems& auras" who is looking to bring her child to live in a tent.. LOL.. But enough defending myself, I realized thats pointless everyone will develop their own opinion no matter what you say or try to make them think.. Anyways. That being said..
I have inched my way towards the dream in a few small ways since last writing here.. My best friend, the one who is from Kau`ai originally and who has been back visiting Hawaii a few times since being older is now living with me and is planning on coming with me out to the islands.. We also have started playing with the idea of picking up some Hawaiian language as well as teaching my child. It cant hurt..
So Yeah, I think everything will work out. Money, jobs, help from friends and lots of determination.. Thank you for all the insight.. though
But what are you going to do for a living? Are you independently wealthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Wink, the OP plans on finding a job when she moves to Kauai. She is also planning on bringing another wage earner to live in her household so there will be two wage earners to support them. She's figuring on there being two full time minimum wage jobs for her and her friend. I'm not familiar with jobs on Kauai, is this likely?

Hmm, what's minimum wage these days? $7.25 per hour? What percentage of that goes towards taxes? 12% - 15%? 7.25 x 40 = $290 per week. Minus 12% for taxes = $255.20 x 2 people = $510.40 per week x 52 weeks per year = 26,540.80 divided by twelve months a year = $2,211.73 per month.

Isdalicex99, is your friend going to be willing to put all of their income towards your communal living experience? Or just "help out" with rent and food occasionally? What all will you need each month? Rent, food, utilities, child care, transportation, credit cards, etc. Crunch some numbers and you'll have an idea of if it will work.

As long as your friend is going along to help, will you be able to survive for awhile? Without the help, then there will only be half that amount to survive on each month. Can you live on $1,105 per month?

Just FYI, Isdalicex99, Wink is living on Maui and is going through some really rough times trying to make a go of it and he's a single guy with a government job and still not able to make ends meet. So, even though he's on an island different than Kauai, Maui is probably very similar to Kauai in expenses. He's got a much better than minimum wage job, too and no child care expenses. So he is a valid voice of experience although an experience which will be different than yours since you have a child, but also hopefully a friend to help.

We can only give you the data as we see it, it's up to you to figure out if it's helpful to you or not.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 12,908 times
First, I admire your independent spirit. My husband and I have traveled substantially and homeschooled our sons from the road. We aren't gypsies or hippies but we LOVE to give our boys the experiences of other cultures and people. They have spent several stints in public schools and are consistantly in the "gifted" programs. What sets them apart from other children is not their "straight A's"-its their adaptability. They have ability to interact & make friends with ALL ages and types of people. What better plan of success can a parent give their child?
... I don't see anything wrong with the way you are choosing to raise your daughter. Years from now who will get the jobs? In an ever changing world, being "smart" is hardly about stability.
As for the islands, my husband and I have also considered moving to Hawaii. Being that I'm a nurse I dont usually have a problem finding a job so I cannot give personal thoughts on that.
I will say this, some of our family moved to Oahu 2 years back... both had previously worked as prominant personnel in their jobs. After 4 months looking for work they could not even find employment as hotel staff. Yes, unemployment is that bad in some places.
On a good note, my husband was offered 2 jobs in under a week this past August on Kauai. We have not lived there (yet!) but I did finally get my Hawaii nursing license. We have found that with a humble spirit and sincere interest in others the people are easy to get to know. I think you could "make" it on 10k- but having a job lined up first is important.
We have moved internationally before and I have found Kauai to be much like other places that are remote: if you show love to others you will get it in return. Relationships with people are key to survival.
My advice is this: DO spend the $ and visit first. I'm sure you will "know" its the right place the minute you get off the plane- everyone does- BUT what you can't get from online is the face to face interaction with possible employers and landlords etc... If you've read anything about island time it is absolutely true. Many people "email" about jobs and the like- going there to apply in person shows some commitment that you intend to move. Adventurous spirit is great- but from one to another- MANY people have that bug about moving to Hawaii so it means very little to a perspective employer.
Your visit doesnt have to be expensive. Beaches have camping available and there is a great website airbnb.com where locals rent out their 'extra' living space for a few days. Prices start as low as 30$ per night! Its one way that people are able to make house payments each month...so it helps them too Its also a great way for you and your daughter to meet people and get to know the island. The hosts are friendly and used to the typical questions of "where should I go for .....?" Some of them are newer to the island & know how hard it is to get started. I would recommend spending a night or two on each side of the island. Each part Kauai is very different in climate and somewhat even in culture. It will give you a chance to check out the atmosphere and establish a few new friends for when you finally do move.
PS- the LOCAL FOOD trucks are an awesome way to save $ and sample some of the BEST food on the islands.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,823 times
Wow, sounds like Barack Obama's mom. She was pretty new age (for her time) and moved to Oahu and Indonesia. Give the lady a break. We moved to Florida on little more than a whim with only 5K in savings. Granted we are RN's, but our son is homeschooled and whether we live in a trailer/camper or six bedroom house (we've had both) both we and he are usually happy. Let me make my case for Oahu. It's got a bus system that covers the whole island (so even if you don't have a car you have transportation for relatively little cost). There are many food banks which have food for low (no) costs. There is a relatively low unemployment rate. As a formerly single guy who now has a significant other let me say that when I was single and making 80K I would probably have taken care of a woman with a kid who was reasonably nice to me at least let them have a place to stay (okay, I'm something of a balding loser with poor social skills, but there's many guys like myself and admittedly more than a few creeps to boot). Bottom line follow your heart, take risks, and tell those who say you can't do it to bugger off.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM

101 posts, read 193,780 times
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
pin

1 posts, read 2,493 times
Default Go For It - DID YOU?

Haha, this thread makes me laugh. I hope you did move to Hawaii and I hope you are so happy and I'm sure wherever you are, your daughter is happy too. Don't let people bring you down just because they are full of fear. It is good for children to travel and do new things and FOR SURE good to raise your children to believe in the world and all its beauty rather than cling so tightly to normal conventions and a fear based culture. Good for you for even looking into it whether you went or not!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM

75 posts, read 225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdalicex99 View Post
TO WHTVIPER1

I LOATHE people like you and your small mindedness. You judge and down talk people and believe that the way you see life is the correct way for all, when it may indeed be right for you, but not for everyone.
I would understand someone who is moving here to live on the beach and eat out of the trash, someone who just wants to party all day and not have a care in the world.. bring a small child with them, draggin the poor thing by the hand along all kinds of selfish crazy ventures..
I am curious to know what happened here - are you living happily somewhere nearby?

But I also have to point out the temerity of your statement. On one hand you "LOATHE" people who, " . . . judge and down talk people and believe that the way you see life is the correct way for all . . . ", and then go right on to down talk those who are " . . . moving here to live on the beach and eat out of the trash." Maybe that's the right life for them?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM

13 posts, read 20,637 times
What ever happened to the OP? I see the same adventure attitude every year here in Alaska. Some make it, most don't. Our problem is the -50 F. I hear it gets down to 65 F at night in Kauai. I haven't seen 65 F in a long time.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM

75 posts, read 225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alder576 View Post
. I hear it gets down to 65 F at night in Kauai. I haven't seen 65 F in a long time.
It was 58 F a couple of nights ago. That's downright COLD!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaupani View Post
It was 58 F a couple of nights ago. That's downright COLD!
Record low in Princeville is 46 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai