Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I think you can use a Costco Cash Card if you're not a member but you have to get a member to buy one for you.
Even when using a cash card, you still have to present your Costco membership card to the cashier prior to them ringing up the sale. And for gas, you have to insert the membership card first, then the cash card. The only time the membership card is not eyeballed is when buying gas, because it uses the machine. Nevertheless, someone's membership card does need to be inserted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 AM

438 posts, read 660,631 times
I really dislike costco. I live alone so I don't need to buy in bulk. Plus I don't buy processed foods. Or canned food other than tomatoes. One thing I really dislike is all the pot lucks changed after costco came to the island.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
I really dislike costco. I live alone so I don't need to buy in bulk. Plus I don't buy processed foods. Or canned food other than tomatoes. One thing I really dislike is all the pot lucks changed after costco came to the island.
I make good use of Costco, especially with all the teens that end up at my house visiting and eating. But I do have to agree that Costco has changed the type of kaukau at pot lucks and at parties in a negative direction. Not that their food is "bad" tasting, just it gets tiring having the same roasted chicken show up. (But I also feel the same way about KFC chicken and bagged potato chips showing up at a pot luck.)

Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 AM

56 posts, read 110,123 times
Costco is really convenient for larger families.... I'm definitely happy about there being one on the island I buy all of our consumable paper products in bulk. I plan on hitting the farmers market for fruit and veggies. How many big box stores are there? Here they have kinda taken over. But I would prefer to buy things locally and support the local economy. I would also love to shop in a whole foods kinda store. We only have one here ... and its across town.. and everything there costs twice as much as Safeway.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:46 PM

317 posts, read 747,818 times
I use to have a Costco card but no longer, I just went to Costco Friday and where I live we can walk right in without a card.

You just tell them you're going to the pharmacy which I was because they have some really cheap generic drugs. I looked around while they filled my script but I don't really need the large packages of food they sell. I had a membership in 2000 and bought a large plastic shed that looks like the day I put it together. That was worth the membership right there $550- -today that same shed sells for close to $800

Old 09-15-2013, 02:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
If there wasn't a Costco on Maui, I would seriously be scouting alternate retirement locations. For example, if the only location was on Oahu, I would probably move there instead. Love those stores!
Just got back from one of ours a few minutes ago. "Free" lunch only cost me $121.00 today.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If there wasn't a Costco on Maui, I would seriously be scouting alternate retirement locations.
If getting rid of costya decreases the number of mainlanders moving over here on the 'I'm staying forever, I just LUV it!!!!' plan, followed by the 90% inevitable, 'Get me the heck off of this damned rock!!! what is WRONG with you people!!!!!' reverse plan, then it has got to go

Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If getting rid of costya decreases the number of mainlanders moving over here on the 'I'm staying forever, I just LUV it!!!!' plan, followed by the 90% inevitable, 'Get me the heck off of this damned rock!!! what is WRONG with you people!!!!!' reverse plan, then it has got to go
LOL! If Costco closes before summer 2014, I may rethink my plan. I pretty much doubt it though. What do the rest of you think?.
If the "damned rock" feels too confining, a second place in Cali will become my part-time home. I'm pretty much of a wanderer and will continue to travel, either way. This Christmas in Costa Rica, and Spring Break in Africa. Then, hello Maui, and see ya at Costco!
(JJ, was that you I saw slinking out of there with an 80-pack of TP, and a box of Duraflames in July?)
Carry on.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
(JJ, was that you I saw slinking out of there with an 80-pack of TP, and a box of Duraflames in July?)
Carry on.
Yes, may as well fess up. I was in costya, they had a great sale on windshield scrapers, couldn't let that deal go buy without purchasing a few. Then, I noticed the duraflame logs on special as well. Having only been a resident here for a few months, and having paid strict attention to all the invaluable info here on SD,, (hell, I take notes!!!!), I already knew that some 80% of the homes in Hawaii have heat, naturally I realized that I must have heat as well, so, seeing as my place above Kamaole 1 in Kihei had no heater, duraflame logs it is!!!! And, how to light those logs???? ROLLED UP WADS OF TOILET PAPER!!!!!!!!! (some smaht, yea???)

Now, all is need is some sort of chimney.........

BACK TO COSTYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Costco is rude. Period. If they would change their hours of operation, the place probably wouldn't be quite so 'intense' an experience. I just don't go there. But, then again, I normally don't paddle close to shore either.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

Costco is rude. Period. If they would change their hours of operation, the place probably wouldn't be quite so 'intense' an experience. I just don't go there. But, then again, I normally don't paddle close to shore either.
You must be going there at the wrong time, or day.
Personally, I like to go on Sunday afternoons, about 1:00pm. It's like being part of a pirate flash mob. You rampage through the aisles, pillage the sample carts, and flirt with the serving wenches, while waving your American Express Card around like a sword! After a couple of hours, I load the day's bootie and grog into my Lexus pirate ship and sail down to the shore to (mentally) defile some local virgins. Arrrgh! (Don't forget the Tommy Bahama umbrella; cooler; beach chair; sunblock; and Duraflames, all conveniently available at a Costco near you.)
Who needs Sunday football anyway???

Oh, and Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai