Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times

Advertisements

That was an entertaining article. I particularly like the parts about:

Quote:
Wander the residential areas keeping a low profile– when you come across a fruit tree loaded with fruit hanging over the sidewalk, you’ve hit a jackpot.
Good luck with taking tutu's mangos!

Quote:
For a memorable experience to take you back in time, use a kukui nut lamp, and don’t forget to wear a loin cloth made out of the softened bark of the Wauke tree.
Nothing else that I can add to that good idea.

Quote:
Opihi - These flattened cone-shaped clams are rare, as they’ve become over hunted, but nevertheless some can still be found in the dangerous, rocky Napali cliffs of Kauai.
Sounds like a delightful introduction to Hawaii's waves.

Quote:
Wild chickens - If you don’t mind a drier and chewier tasting chicken compared to the store bought variety, there are many flocks of wild chickens that roam the island. I’ve seen them in some city parks such as the Diamond Head Beach Park. Don’t worry about taking just one– the wild chicken population appears to be growing, with an occasional death caused by mongoose attacks, cats, or a speeding car.
I couldn't figure out if they are recommending taking chickens from the parks , or if they are recommending scavenging for road kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM

56 posts, read 110,113 times
LOL This is perfect! See? Hawaii is paradise! Wild roadkill chicken for dinner with stolen mangos! PFFT We dont even need a job. We shall wear loincloths and scavenge the neighborhood for avocados and bananas, then Ill put the baby in my baby carrier and climb the Napali cliffs for rare fruit, Ill buy a bow and let my husband hunt wild boar! Well live under a waterfall and Ill weave baskets for extra money. We wont even wear shoes. Just the loincloths I make from the wild boar my husband hunts. Homeschooling?! BAH Who needs to read when we can spend our lives catching wild chickens and eating from neighboring mango trees?

Huh. Guess delusional rightly sums it up huh?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
To go along with your illegal fruit gathering on loincloths - you can join in on the fun with illegal hunting which is a huge problem in Hawaii.

Illegal hunting troubles Big Isle ranches, farms - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM

See we'd fit right in. Dunno why they don't include this information in the Guide books. If people knew you could vacation there and eat whatever you find, shoot wild boar and all, why .. your tourism would go sky HIGH! I have just solved the economy problems there in HI. Who knows what I will tackle once I am actually on the island!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
And, folks don't even even need to hunt the wild boar if they keep a close eye on the roadside, and are lucky enough to find fresh road kill.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 PM

tickets have been bought and we are selling off our stuff week by week. I know you all were just dyin to know

Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
So which island did you choose? There aren't a lot of direct flights to very many places in Hawaii other than Honolulu so most folks go through Oahu. Alaskan Air has possibly the best luggage allowance, although I've heard they may be changing that soon.

Doesn't Alaska have a list for folks to sign up for roadkill? Actually, we have gotten roadkill here before, although it was fresh enough to still be wiggling when we found it. It later turned out our neighbor was the one who's car the pig ran into. Roadkill isn't the best, though, there's lots of trauma damage and bruised meat. But we had some tasty pork chops and sausage and the dogs got the bruised parts and didn't mind a bit. Still, good enough roadkill to be edible and presentable isn't that common that one would want to plan a menu around it.

There is enough wild fruit in some areas that it is possible to snack enough to make maybe a lunch on it, but not really enough to subsist off of it. Your basic wild fruits have a tendency to be small guava and longan, though. In season, there's a lot of them, but when they aren't in season, well then there isn't much. We do gather up a bucket full of guava about once every other year or so and make jam. Then we have enough jam for the next several years. It adds a nice touch to toast, but it's not gonna be enough to subsist off of.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM

We chose Kauai, although we look forward to visiting Kona and Maui. We will be flying Alaskan through HNL. They do have a good luggage allowance if your an Alaskan resident.

We do have a roadkill list! For Moose mostly but I think you have to be Native. I have never heard of a Caucasian being on the list.

Dont worry subsisting off the wild fruit and roadkill is entirely a joke. I plan on going to the farmers market and safeway. Although I am hoping for a few fruit trees around our rental and possibly a garden... you think its impossible to find a rental that will let me keep chickens? lol How do I apply for that " No pets..... want chickens"? I mean obviously they would be outside. Anyhow seeing as I know how you all are desperate to hear how our move is going I will keep you updated.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Update.

So far so good. We leave in just a few weeks. Everything is almost sold and we will ship our Jeep ( I know... the island really needed another Jeep right?!). Job found. Will look for a rental once we are on island (isnt that the first advice NEVER rent sight unseen?). Thanks for all the advice and positive feedback. Its a balmy high of 40 today in Alaska. Im getting by in my summer clothes with leg warmers. Really I am so acclimated I hardly need a jacket! Looking forward to the great warm weather, and stars, regular daylight hours. I forget occasionally that itll be dark there at night.. and light during the day all the time! I hope my thread here has been encouraging to others thinking of moving to Hawaii. It can be done. Were off on an adventure I will continue to update once were on island. Just to confirm that were not broke or dying of island fever... and to tell of how great all the wild fruit and illegal boar is.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM

483 posts, read 624,003 times
Sounds awesome! Happy adventures and keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai