Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
About a year ago my wife and I were eating plate lunches. (plate lunch = some meat main dish, macaroni salad, white rice) We commented on how we really like them. But...had we not lived here for a while and grown accustomed to them, we admitted we would not like plate lunch style foods at all.
Let's get the new arrivals started right with the classic plate lunch "recipe," which goes something like this, preferably recited with a sing-song lilt...

"You get your two scoops rice, one scoop macaroni salad, and your main dish."

Main dish could be spam teriyaki, kālua pig, huli huli chicken, lau lau (pork & butterfish wrapped in taro leaves), any number of delectable things. Even a burrito, at Zippy's (see below). But "two scoops rice," not "of rice," and one scoop macaroni salad (or potato salad today, or cole slaw) and a hot dish was an affordable meal served up to farm workers and dock hands doing hard physical labor all day, and needing a filling, hi carb "plate lunch" to keep them going.

For those of us who lead less physical and more sedentary life styles today, "plate lunch" has to be a more occasional indulgence, but it surely is classic Hawaiian soul food, and you can find versions of it served in general stores, from food trucks, even in gas stations all over the state, and normally not for a lot of money. WAY more filling and less expensive than stopping at a chain fast food place like McD's.

This site has fun photos of variations on the theme... Zippy's Chili with Everything | The Tasty Island

Quote:
The only thing I can say I liked right away was Kailua Pig and Cabbage. So if I recommended any local foods, it would be Kailua Pig and Cabbage in a plate lunch.
Again, it's kālua pig, not kailua pig. Easy mistake to make, and not a huge deal, but it tags you as a malahini (newbie).

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
Speaking of plate lunch, several good places to get one on Kaua'i are:

- Pono market in "old" town Kapa'a, across from the cemetary. Don't forget the lomi salmon, too.
- Mark's Place, in the Puhi industrial area.
- Suokea's lunch window outside the grocery store in old town Koloa.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 PM

182 posts, read 356,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Speaking of plate lunch, several good places to get one on Kaua'i are:

- Pono market in "old" town Kapa'a, across from the cemetary. Don't forget the lomi salmon, too.
- Mark's Place, in the Puhi industrial area.
- Suokea's lunch window outside the grocery store in old town Koloa.
We will be back on Kaua'i next year - can't wait to try the plate lunch from these places.

When we were there last year, our girls kept saying over and over that they did not want to try plate lunch and so we didn't . . . until the day before we left, from some place in Honolulu. Their reaction was: "You mean we could have been having this every day?" They loved every bite, especially the macaroni salad.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I am hoping that there is a lot of good seafood and that they don't smother everything in pineapple.
For seafood, check out Merriman’s Fish House.
Fish House - Merriman's Hawaii Restaurant

A great restaurant for sunset dinning is the Beach House Restaurant.
Beach House Restaurant :: Kauai Restaurant Fine Dining

For good poke or a yummy lau lau plate try the Fish Express at 3343 Kuhio Hwy, Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Thanks everyone...the responses are so wonderful!!!

OK now for the really silly question. Is good wine available for a reasonable price in Kawai? I love red wine and I love full bodied reds. I am wondering if I should bring my own...say 3 bottles.

Now I am counting down the days till I make it to paradise!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
For seafood, check out Merriman’s Fish House.
Fish House - Merriman's Hawaii Restaurant

A great restaurant for sunset dinning is the Beach House Restaurant.
Beach House Restaurant :: Kauai Restaurant Fine Dining

For good poke or a yummy lau lau plate try the Fish Express at 3343 Kuhio Hwy, Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766.
Thank you for these suggestions!

BTW what is good poke?

Last edited by TVC15; 11-05-2013 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thank you for these suggestions!

BTW What is good poke? Or a lau lau plate?
These are key elements of Hawaiian soul food.

Pokē (pronounced kind of like bouquet... po kay.. Means "cut up") is a cold seafood salad, made from fish like cubed raw ahi tuna, lomi-lomi (smoked salmon with tomatoes), Tako (sliced octopus), etc. mixed with other ingredients like soy sauce and seaweed and sliced onions, and served as an appetizer. Kind of like a sushi salad, without the rice.

Lau lau is kalua pork, best kine with a piece of butterfish added, wrapped in edible taro leaves and tied in a bundle, then steam/smoked. Looks like a big green tamale. Ridiculously delicious.

Another classic is saimin. Kind of a cross between a Japanese ramen noodle, Filipino pancit, and Chinese mein, also reminiscent of Vietnamese Pho, but uniquely Hawaiian, saimin is served in a big bowl with delicious broth and a variety of ingredients, like meats, veggies, hard boiled eggs. It's so popular in Hawai'i that most supermarkets have a cooler case stocked with several varieties of fresh, not dried saimin noodles for preparation at home.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
These are key elements of Hawaiian soul food.

Pokē (pronounced kind of like bouquet... po kay.. Means "cut up") is a cold seafood salad, made from fish like cubed raw ahi tuna, lomi-lomi (smoked salmon with tomatoes), Tako (sliced octopus), etc. mixed with other ingredients like soy sauce and seaweed and sliced onions, and served as an appetizer. Kind of like a sushi salad, without the rice.

Lau lau is kalua pork, best kine with a piece of butterfish added, wrapped in edible taro leaves and tied in a bundle, then steam/smoked. Looks like a big green tamale. Ridiculously delicious.

Another classic is saimin. Kind of a cross between a Japanese ramen noodle, Filipino pancit, and Chinese mein, also reminiscent of Vietnamese Pho, but uniquely Hawaiian, saimin is served in a big bowl with delicious broth and a variety of ingredients, like meats, veggies, hard boiled eggs. It's so popular in Hawai'i that most supermarkets have a cooler case stocked with several varieties of fresh, not dried saimin noodles for preparation at home.
Thanks

Poke sounds very yummy as well as saimin and I can't wait to try them!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
A really good place for saimin on Kauai is Hamura Saimin at 2956 Kress St. Lihue, HI 96766.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 AM

^^^^ Thank you!

You guys are so nice you remind me of Texans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai