Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,041 times

Advertisements

Looking to network with locals who can possibly help me to find work. I am a Pastry Chef currently employed by a Worldwide Hotel chain. So no jobs in hotels... looking for a small artisan (possibly all natural, organic) concept. Could also wear the sales hat in the food market! many thx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
You may have to start a bakery, there may not be all that many opportunities like you're looking for. How about a pastry food truck?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM

hotzcatz thank you! a food truck would be an option if i had the funds to invest and wait to see the biz grow!?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 AM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
A mobile expresso/pastry truck would be cool!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM

160 posts, read 287,628 times
Kaua'i is in desperate need of a "Manapua Man (person)." I only know of Hamura in Lihue that makes their manapua on site and it is a straight char shiu...how 'bout some lau lau or sweet potatoe filling?
It would be the return of...The Manapua Man...updated in a truck rather than a cart!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
There are several artisanal bakeries on the east side. Two that I can think of are Passion Bakery Cafe in Wailua, and Buttery in "old town" Kapaa. Generally, I tend to think that pastry chefs open these bakeries, so I don't know how much they need to hire another chef. But I don't know them personally, much less the business, so can't say myself.

It would be best if you were here and did the networking yourself, just by going around to talk with the local chefs. Have you visited here, what made you choose Kauai?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I can't see any advantage to a food truck. You can't make sufficient quantity of pastries in a truck. So you would also have to have a bricks and mortar bakery.

As long as you are paying for the bakery, you might as well sell directly out of the bakery.

I'm afraid that your best bet is one of the resort hotels. Maybe one of the grocery stores with an on-store bakery might hire you, but I have a suspicion, their pastries are all formula and they can hire some minimum wage people to do the cooking.

If you are really talented, there is catering. But that would take awhile to get enough clientele built up. I can see a successful business providing specialty decorated cakes and pastries for parties where impressing the guests counts. But that word of mouth thing takes forever and advertising for a niche product is expensive.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There is one fellow who has a portable wood fired oven and he takes it to the farmer's market and sells bread there. However, he sells a lot more bread than can be baked in that oven so there has to be a bricks and mortar (or the Hawaii equivalent) somewhere.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Thank you...I was there last March interviewing for a pastry chef role in a start up operation that did not happen.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 PM

Thank you all very much for your time and inputs...it seems i have very limited options! I will keep searching for an opportunity and let's see what the future may bring. Once again many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai