Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM

18 posts, read 38,126 times

Advertisements

First of all i would like to say hello to everyone on this board and thank you for all the great articles i have read so far.
What would be the least expensive way of moving medium size truck from mainland (GA) to Kauai?
Few months ago i was quoted $2000 by Horizon IIRC the company's name. Is that a good price?
Also I'm in construction business and have lot of power tools that I'd like to take with me. From what i was told there must not be anything inside of the truck. My truck has a shell, can i put something in the bed? Have all the shipping companies different rules for this? I have roughly 100 cubic feet of tools.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
They are all going to be roughly the same price - you'd save money driving to California though.

You can't have any personal goods in your truck whatsoever.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
The reason they don't want anything in the vehicle is because the chances are, by the time it arrives... those items would be missing.

I agree - drive it to the port yourself - and all of the prices are darn near identical.
Just make sure you use one of the the only 3 companies that actually ship vehicles - Matson, Pasha, Horizon. All of the others are brokers and if you search through these sub-forums, you will find a lot of horror stories from people that tried to save just a couple $$ by using a broker.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post

I agree - drive it to the port yourself -
To drive it from GA to any port in CA would cost me roughly $600 in gas money plus food. To ship a truck from CA to Kauai is about $1000-1100 if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't save much if anything by driving it in all the way.
Any opinions?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuub View Post
To drive it from GA to any port in CA would cost me roughly $600 in gas money plus food. To ship a truck from CA to Kauai is about $1000-1100 if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't save much if anything by driving it in all the way.
Any opinions?
You would also fly out of California - a day or so after dropping off the truck. Plane tickets are much cheaper from California than Georgia. If you are moving to Hawaii from the mainland, you may as well take a last drive across the country. It might be a long time before you get the chance to do it again.

I saved a bundle that way due to buying 4 cheap plane tickets. I flew out of Oakland vs the Midwest.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
You would also fly out of California - a day or so after dropping off the truck. Plane tickets are much cheaper from California than Georgia. If you are moving to Hawaii from the mainland, you may as well take a last drive across the country. It might be a long time before you get the chance to do it again.

I saved a bundle that way due to buying 4 cheap plane tickets. I flew out of Oakland vs the Midwest.
Good point. Thank you

Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I'm not clear that you could even get a pickup truck with a camper shell shipped from Georgia to Kauai today for only $2K. Seems low to me.

The tariff from California to Honolulu today is $1100, whoever you use. Several posters have recently commented about paying between $700 to $1000 more for shipping from the west to midwest regions. From Georgia will be more. To Kauai will be more.

The part within your control is the stretch between Georgia and the California ports, and yeah, the airline tickets are a lot cheaper from the Left Coast. I vote for the money-saving adventure.

Just remember, you can't leave anything in the vehicle.

Good luck !

Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
You can take your tools in your truck to the coast and then find a freight forwarder or freight consolidator who can ship them via ocean freight. That's about the only way to get heavy things to Hawaii at a reasonable rate. Otherwise the one price boxes from the Post Office work pretty well for smaller heavy items. If you don't have a mailing address yet, they can be sent via "General Delivery" to a post office near where you will be.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM

I contacted Hawaiian Moving Inc. and they should contact me soon. I have roughly 150 cubic feet to ship. I'll update as soon as they quote me.
Thanks all!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Have you looked into buying another truck in Kauai? Might be less expensive and less hassle to sell the one on the mainland and buy another on Kauai.

When getting trucks on islands, it's always best to bring or have one that can readily get new parts and have service folks that know how and have the tools to fix them. I'm not sure what dealerships and mechanics Kauai has. On the Big Island we no longer have a VW dealership so parts and mechanics are getting hard to find for those cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: