Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM

113 posts, read 163,541 times

Advertisements

mayor said. “It’s only tax money, and well worth the investment.”

Something to squawk about - Thegardenisland.com: Local

Some garden island april 1st fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 AM

24 posts, read 54,162 times
Haha When I read that this morning, I almost fell for it! That was a good one.

Actually on a related note, the past two times I have been to Kauai (both in the last 6 months), I noticed what seemed to be way less roosters/feral chickens than when I was there in the past in 2006 & 2009. I used to see them everywhere, in bunches, but last couple times, not so many.

I asked several people about it, no one had a clear answer, although some said with the economic downturn some people began catching them, fattening them up a bit, and eating them. Some theorized that residents and resort properties were "controlling" the population through traps, poison, or whatever. Some also said that mongoose may be on the Island, and they eat the eggs before they hatch, which would be terrible for all native birds, not just chickens.

Anyway, am I the only one who feels that the visible chicken population has decreased in the past couple years?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:15 AM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Well, since this is the last Kauai chicken tread i will use it to ask a serious question.
Is anyone getting worried about the feral chickens numbers going out of control?
There is no way this invasion will not have an impact on the island ecosystem. I could not believe my eyes, they are everywhere. I'm guessing that the landscape gardeners will work longer hours since these thinghs will dig up everything in search for bugs....but is there a more serious risk here?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
I think the moa are a very big concern, but like Hawai'i's other big concerns (mongoose, pig, cats, etc.) they are a very hard concern to actually do anything about!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
I don't think the chickens and roosters are anywhere near as big a concern as mongooses, pigs, or cats. Yes, they're all over, in the towns and in the forests, and generally spreading. But they don't seem to really upset the local ecosystems or other endangered species, unlike those other ones. Plus the moa earns its place as a canoe species (brought by the Polynesians), and is also the most colorful bird in Hawaii.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 PM

What is the moa? You don't mean the roosters, do you? I can only find reference to an extinct specie.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
Yes, moa is the Hawaiian word for the chickens and roosters they brought with them to the islands (but my Hawaiian isn't good enough to know whether it means "chicken," "rooster" or a generic name for the animal). Nowadays, I believe scientists call the species jungle fowl (originating in Asia) to differentiate it from domesticated European breeds. Like the pigs, the Polynesian species interbred with the domesticated European breeds to create the various colored ones you see today on Kauai. But some of the European breeds look almost the same and so in some cases it can be hard to tell. I heard that European breeds are polygamous (one rooster will have several hens) and the Hawaiian moa is monagamous. Whether that means the moa is still a distinct species by only breeding with its own kind, or mixed but still retaining a characteristic behavior, I don't know. It could also be all made up, as I don't have a reliable source for this info.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 AM

69 posts, read 100,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Yes, moa is the Hawaiian word for the chickens and roosters they brought with them to the islands (but my Hawaiian isn't good enough to know whether it means "chicken," "rooster" or a generic name for the animal). Nowadays, I believe scientists call the species jungle fowl (originating in Asia) to differentiate it from domesticated European breeds. Like the pigs, the Polynesian species interbred with the domesticated European breeds to create the various colored ones you see today on Kauai. But some of the European breeds look almost the same and so in some cases it can be hard to tell. I heard that European breeds are polygamous (one rooster will have several hens) and the Hawaiian moa is monagamous. Whether that means the moa is still a distinct species by only breeding with its own kind, or mixed but still retaining a characteristic behavior, I don't know. It could also be all made up, as I don't have a reliable source for this info.
Aloha,

Is it possible to round up some and have a chicken coop? I saw some nesting near Poi'pū and wondered how easy it would be to start using them for eggs.

Mahalo.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM

It could be easy but why do it? You get smaller egs and less meat on bones with the wild ones. You can grow your own and not wait for too long either since they grow fast.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM

69 posts, read 100,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
It could be easy but why do it? You get smaller egs and less meat on bones with the wild ones. You can grow your own and not wait for too long either since they grow fast.
Right on, mahalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai