Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
.Ours works for us and this is the Land of the Free Home of the Brave.

land of the free(range) and the brave....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Ok, I had to delete a series of posts that were just written for the purpose to attack another poster. Let's remember our T.O.S.:
Quote:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
Again, this is what we all agreed to when registering for these C-D forums:

Quote:
We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.
Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
for those concerned about nature, please read the article in today's honolulu advertiser, "waging war on invasive species."Fighting invasive species in Hawaii

Old 03-22-2008, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 23,358 times
I am all for hunting chickens and any other animal that threatens the natural ecosystem of Kauai (pigs, chickens, and goats). At least they will end up on the dinner table and not at the humane society who offers free traps and then when the "jungle chicken" is brought in it is euthanized and put into the dump. Now that seems to me to be pretty stupid. These chickens were first brought to the island by Polynesians for FOOD, then after hurricane domestic chickens got out and are now cross breeding with "jungle chickens" Also what happens when the bird flu hits and kills off the chickens cause the are overpopulated is that not inhumane? ...and wasting a bunch of food? As well as threatening to kill other natural species of birds. So I say eat them before the humane society throws them in the dump

Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 154,575 times
Default wild chickens

I think that the wild chickens are a blessing on Kauai. They can eat lots of insects, as bats do, and will decrease the population of roaches, ants, etc. Let the chickens do their thing. kcsride

Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcsride View Post
Let the chickens do their thing.
I wonder if you would say that if their "thing" was to crow under your bedroom window every morning at 4 AM.

Happened to my son in Princeville. He got a pellet gun. Pumps it up to a point where it wont do permanent damage, but they don't come back.

Hank

Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
Awwww, they're OK. You do get used to them. Or you get earplugs. I love 'em - they're part of the charm of Kaua'i - but that's not to say I wouldn't try cooking one if my son nabs one with his bow in the backyard. (It's legal to kill them if they're on your property, I found out.)

I think lambs are really cute and huggable, but I eat them too.

And I'm sure the chickens are useful too, as Kcsride suggests.

If you can't deal with a bit of crowin', I say pick a different island! Or, get a pellet gun. Whatever.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
Every day on my days off they wake me up at 6 or so. I hate them. And then whenever I go for a run around my road, I ALWAYS have chickens jump out of the bushes and dart right in front of me. Scares me every single time. I like to throw my gross leftovers in a compost pile and I am too scared to put chicken in there, in the event that the chickens eat it.... oh the hassles of Kauai!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 15,085 times
Alot of people don't realize that chickens have a quick gestation period i.e., rapid reproduction. They also carry serious diseases and are a nuisance, they aren't pretty or cute when the sound off in my ear like a bull horn at 1 am. Even with ear plugs in my ears they still jolt me out of bed (i have lived here 3 1/2 years now and can't get used to it). Wallmart has been sold out of pellet guns for 2 weeks now, FOR A REASON, people are eating up pellet guns because they are tired of the noise and chickens are disruptive to gardens and get in garbage cans, eat dog food. When they get hit by cars or a dog catches them, geuss what they spread diseases on to humans and other pets. Something should be done to stop this or control it somehow. THEY ARE RATS WITH WINGS. People that are defensive of these rodents with wings don't realize the diseases they carry and damage they are truly causing to our ecosystem. They are NOT IN indigenous to Kauai and should be controlled.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,688 times
but nature makes such good sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai