Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 26,946 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

Just wondering how well two girls ages 16 & 17 would fit in, we are planning on moving in may or june, to Kauai, have read alot about kids having a hard time fitting in from the mainland. We are from a very small town in Wyoming.
We are relocating due to jobs and health issues. Very excited to move, but worried about daughters fitting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
fitting in is difficult here, but not impossible.

what part of the island/what school will you be relocating to?

Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
If you might be able to afford private school (tuition assistance is available), check out Island School (Island School, K-12). If you want more info PM me; we're likely moving (from upstate NY) in July/Aug. with our 12-year-old son, who will be attending Island. My sister relocated to Kauai in August '07 with her 14-year-old daughter, who attends Island. My sis is also teaching HS biology there.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 AM

Looking at Kapaa, haven't checked on schools. I should be visiting in Jan-Feb for housing and schools. I want to get a po box and get to know the surrondings a little before moving! thanks for all the help!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 19,893 times
it aint that bad for your kids to fit i there. there are so many people form the states going to kauai t live there. that is a good choice to put them in island school but if you don't have the money for it put your kids in regular school. whereever you go kids have to get adjusted and they will make friends eventually once they get use to it. i am sure they will make alot of friends and love the island lifeof going to the beach and hanging around therre friends, it will just take some time

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 30,702 times
What you read is true.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Any Advise on certain neighborhoods, which ones are better, worse, noise, dogs, frogs, ect... I check the Kauai Garden Island Newspaper daily, for rentals and employment.
I enjoy living in small quaint little towns, not much of a city girl. Is it best to rent a home that is furnished or have personal items shipped when moving? Also we have a new Dodge Cummings truck, is buying diesel for it going to be a problem?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 AM

9 posts, read 57,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeavler View Post
Any Advise on certain neighborhoods, which ones are better, worse, noise, dogs, frogs, ect... I check the Kauai Garden Island Newspaper daily, for rentals and employment.
I enjoy living in small quaint little towns, not much of a city girl. Is it best to rent a home that is furnished or have personal items shipped when moving? Also we have a new Dodge Cummings truck, is buying diesel for it going to be a problem?
Kind of depends where you will be working?
Wailua Homesteads is really nice but a bit pricey. Great views and hiking. Very close to Kapaa.

There is a definite "rush hour" on the East side so if you can minimize your driving or work off hours you will be happier.
Good Luck,
Bob

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 29,225 times
i am 19 years old and go to college on kauai. I moved here this summer.

im going to be 100% honest.

Its a culture shock at first.

your children will be the only or one of the small handful of white people at school. everyone else has dark skin. your children will have mainland accents, therefore, speaking and being social here is entirely differant.(hopefully they dont have southern accents...or else your kids will be mocked!) because your children are haloe other peers will be standoffish at wont want to talk to them. they wont smile back. and they will avoid their eyes. they will sit as far away as they can. the locals dont like people that move here motto: "locals grew here haloes flew here"

if your children are good socially they should adapt fine. but it will take awhile. ive been here only 7 months and i have learned to speak with an island accent. there is allot of slang many of the kids speak pidgin...if you dont understand pidgin or the accents your children wont survive school. people steal. people break into cars. honestly its kinda ghetto here.

their is allot of meth here (1/3 of the island uses). its a big problem.

but i have done well. i have an accent now. i still stand out because i have white skin...but i have friends. its a differant culture here.

visiting is entirely differant than living here.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 AM

3 posts, read 25,102 times
Default paradise?

I agree with alohagirl99. lots of crime and drugs here.Teenage pregnancy is also high. I have been here for 15 years and now I am leaving. I am tired of giving respect but getting none in return. Your kids may have a hard time here, maybe not. My car was stolen right from my driveway, and I am not the only one. We also had a drive by shooting in Kapaa. Most folks do not here about this stuff because they do not want to scare the tourists. Poipu has had multiple home invasions with the owners at home. Ice is a major problem and getting worse (Ice is meth). According to police Kapaa is the worst area for crime. Schools are not good. maybe island school is okay if you can afford it. I say check out Kauai before you make a decision. visiting here and living here are two different things. Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai