U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 PM

21 posts, read 15,455 times

Advertisements

Although Im not yet on Kauai, I am a German car enthusiast. www.bimmershops.com is a good resource to find an independent BMW mechanic near you and they show the only shops in HI are in Honolulu. I'm leaving my German cars in storage on the mainland, but may consider bringing over my pickup truck. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM

12 posts, read 9,172 times
Default Update on move

Even though it's off topic, I thought I'd send an update on our move...

We are just about ready to list the house here and have our one-way tickets to arrive Lihue June 23.

I've shipped my old jeep already and it should be there before us. I'll be selling my daily driver to my brother and also selling my wife's beemer. She has gone back and forth on the Mazda, so now we plan to get her a car after we are on-island. I feel much better about that.

Using Royal Hawaiian and the price per pound is much less than I budgeted so that's good. We'll see how the cost estimate works out.

The only issue I have is my guitar hobby. I've collected a few guitars over the years that I'm keeping so I've been researching whether to ship in the container, use UPS, or carry on. I've found a few posts by people that have shipped wood instruments from the mainland in a container with no problem, but the thought of leaving my guitars in a shipping container in the sun for weeks is giving me bad dreams. I've come up with a plan but still nervous about the humidity swings in the container.

Anyway, we started this move in 2004 and am excited to finally be getting on with it!!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:45 AM

8,381 posts, read 10,293,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy4kauai View Post
I've come up with a plan but still nervous about the humidity swings in the container.
Pack lots of these - or something similar for items susceptible to humidity:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: