Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 11:45 AM

252 posts, read 422,726 times

Advertisements

Belated 'positive ' trip report on Kauai Island. Just from memory.

After ten years of living on Kauai, and recently moving back to south orange county, dana point,
after three years, we decided to return to our beloved island and special friends for three weeks.

Departure and winging across the pond to Kauai.

Early am pick up by execu car and easy kick back drive to LAX. Then American Airlines direct
to LIH. All on time. Carry ons only, none of those many suitcases and waiting for the
bags to get coughed out onto the baggage monster go around. We were about the only people on
the Rental Car Van ( AVIS ), and the first in line at the Avis Counter. Gone in a couple
of minutes, and driving the highway toward Poipu Kai . Stayed there for 12 yrs of visits before
the big move.

As usual, we passed thru the tree tunnel, traffic was really light and easy , and took the
by pass, to Poipu Kai. Easy check in, greeted with aloha, and drove the one minute
to the Kahala Section and our upstairs condo.

Assigned parking space, Large living room, and dining room, full on totally supplied
kitchen, huge bedroom, large walk in closet, and large bathroom, double sinks,
and welcome shower, plus a very, very large lanai, overlooking the tropical garden
and bbq.

We also had a key to our semi private swimming pool, and it was an
easy and short walk to Poipu Beach. Oh, also included was a free membership
to the Poipu Athletic Club, which is also very nice . Oh, and a bottle of wine and two
chilled glasses in the refer to help us relax after arriva.. Cost.....$ 135.00/night.

We laid in provisions, and stopped at Brenneckies to visit with old friends who are still
there from when I worked at the Beach Center Downstairs. Upstairs , we enjoyed a
welcome drink and just kicking back, and enjoying the view of Poipu Beach and the ocean.

We spent our three weeks enjoying island wide adventures and seeing many dear friends, hiking the trails, snorkeling Lawai Beach, kayaking the hanalei river, swimming in the pool, and doing a fine
bit of partying and spoiling ourselves silly.

Oh, an our only paid activity, was a fabulous, napali sunset cruise/dinner on the Southern Star,
Capt. Andy, out of Port Allen. Highly recommend.

BBQing at our secret beach at Kuku'iula small boat harbor was excellent. Wonderful semi private beach ( no one else was there ) , and blessed with sunshine, blue skies, and ocean, harbor, coastal, and mountain views.

Very peaceful. Alas, " Mooch the pooch ' he no longer came over to wag, get pets, and devour
our left over aussie lamb chop bones.' it has been three years since he would bless us with his presence
each time that we would bbq there. He was a bit old, and well loved and spoiled.

After BBQ'ing, we drove a couple of minutes over to Kukui'ula Shopping Village, and Erica made
a direct approach for Lapperts for her ice creame treat. I did a wave off at Lapperts, and walked across
the courtyard to down stairs merimans pub.

We also had island friends come over to the Condo , for our own small luau, rum, bqq'd steaks'
and a most happy and aloha filled talk story good time. We also joined other friends for dinner, and breakfasts, as well as the beach bars to talk story and share good times. Made our hearts feel good.

Up north, the furthest that we could get , at that time was Hanalei Town, where we wandered
about hawaiki ( pacific island treasures shop ) , Erica went to Tropical Tantrums, and since
I do not shop, she joined me later at the Hanalei Gourmet , for an island libation.

We also kayaked the hanalei river, very nice, no signs of flooding or destruction. Normal paddle
up along the banks, and on the return, some paddling and some easy drifting back down in the center of the river with the down stream current.

First time for us, we met friends at LAVA LAVA, and were greeted by an old bartender friend , from Kalapaki Joes, NILO, and then new island friends who recently moved to Kauai met us, and we went out side for the beach and ocean views. Also, a long time friend Shanty Bob and his wife , and other friends came in making the afternoon a very special , and rewarding good time.

From our condo, I actually drove into Lihue, to the Kauai Athletic Club for my workouts, and
re united with my gym friends of 10 years. More feel good and welcoming warmies. Erica
worked out at the near by to our condo, Poipu Athletic Club.

We hiked several trails on all of the shores, and tho we have treked those trails over many years,
they were just as beautiful and captivating now, as they always were.

The Beaches were great, but we found the less crowded, and did not spend much time at Poipu
Beach. The trials were in great shape, except, when we hiked, the Kuailau Ridge
trail. Very muddy in places and the trail blocked by a huge uprooted tree. But the scenery
was lush and green and spectacular.

Dinners out, island wide were excellent, great food, fun and friendly service, and over all
feel good ambiance.

The three weeks went extremely fast, and we realized even more how much we love
the Garden Island, Island friends, and the people of Kauai.

This trip was in June 2018,

2019, we will be returning to sail the British Virgin Islands for a few weeks.

2020, Hmmmm, I have a feeling that we will once again be returning to Kauai .

Me ke aloha pumehana

Denny and Erica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM

306 posts, read 336,433 times
Good to hear your trip went well. It's crazy how when I leave the island even if only to go to the mainland for a week or two, how much I miss the place while still on the plane over. Special, special place.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 AM

198 posts, read 386,889 times
mahalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai