Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Lol. Did you recently hit your head? Involved in a high impact crash? Fell down drunk? Girlfriend slapped you around a bit?

Brilliant. Quit a 6 figure job to get a job on a boat so you can cater to someone else's whims. And considering your elitist attitude on the "if you don't live here you might as well live in Uganda " thread, you will have a great future as a cabin boy taking orders from some prick making a 6 figure income and lives in California I mean Uganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,245,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisambas1 View Post
How can you be making six figures and write such lame posts? Are you not the guy who asked why people loathe resorts? Some people do, some people don't. Who the heck cares? It seems as though for a person to be in that income bracket they would have some common sense. My guess is that you are making minimum wage and have too much time on your hands. There is also an element of attention seeking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, yeah, we all figure YoungTraveller to be our favorite stir-the-pot poster. He at least gets a bit of action going on the forum and he's getting better at being polite about it. Is there a category for a polite troll? Would that be a hobgoblin or a brownie or some such? Maybe a house elf or something? Kinda like Dobby on Harry Potter? Not quite a troll, something smaller and not as annoying.

Maybe he's including more the two figures to the right of the decimal point when he's counting how many figures are in this mythical salary?
I'm actually pissed I haven't broken the 140k mark yet. LOL @ being 30 and not making at least 140k. I'm giving myself 2 more years to get there otherwise I'll consider myself a massive failure. srs.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,245,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol. Did you recently hit your head? Involved in a high impact crash? Fell down drunk? Girlfriend slapped you around a bit?

Brilliant. Quit a 6 figure job to get a job on a boat so you can cater to someone else's whims. And considering your elitist attitude on the "if you don't live here you might as well live in Uganda " thread, you will have a great future as a cabin boy taking orders from some prick making a 6 figure income and lives in California I mean Uganda.
Don't be mad you neither make 100k+, nor work in Hawaii brah.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,232,777 times
Quote:
Don't be mad you neither make 100k+, nor work in Hawaii brah.
YT is King of the Komebacks...liking this young Dude!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:11 AM

252 posts, read 422,327 times
Capt Andy is a highly respected Napali Coast Tour Company. They have 55 to 65 ft. Catamarans for the Napali Cruises. More than likely you will have a job assisting the tourists on and off the vessel, making sure that they are doing fine and staying safe while on board, handle dock lines, and help them with their snorkel gear, and maybe bar tend and help with meals and drinks after snorkeling.

Great crews, with happy personalities, truly are having a good time, as well as helping the passengers to do the same. Also, be aware that the seas, wind and ocean conditions in Kauai, can be quite rough at times.... how much experience do you have on open ocean waters..... and you must feel comfortable...no sea sickness.

At six figures, and you are in california, why not keep your hundred plus thousands of dollars a year job, salt away your money, join a sailing club and learn how to sail and navigate, use their boats, and get the knowledge and sea time to bare boat skipper on your own for two week vacations or more, in Tahiti, Tonga, Australia, much of the Caribbean, Ireland, Greece, and other areas in Europe, etc. Monohulls and Catamarans. You would have the best of both worlds, a steady high income, and your own sailing vacations in paradise, world wide.

Also, with six figure job, you might want to take a nice vacation to Kauai, learn the island, go out on a Capt. Andy Napali Cruise, and actually have an understanding of what you would be doing, and what living on kauai is actually like.

Or would you aspire to be a capt. , you will have to work as crew to get in your 720 days of documented sea time, in order to sit for your U.S.C.G 100 ton license.

That is reality....

Make sure that it is the right move for you. if it is .....super , if not, it could be a very life effecting mistake.

However, I believe that Life is an Adventure, and have made one of my careers as a sailing and motor vessel instructor, and delivery skipper, and charted captain, and leading flotillas in the south pacific and caribbean and sailing in areas through out the world.

I loved it , and we still pleasure sail, and do our annual international sailing vacations . I have a U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Capt. license for vessels up to 500 tons....no longer sailing professionally, just for fun. Erica is also an excellent skipper, and is certified for vessels up to 46 ft., but she does not have a professional license to work for hire. Actually, she is a retired M.D.

I also believe in .....Do not dream your life, LIVE your dream....but I was not making a six figure pay check, and we also, investigate and know what we are getting into and earned our way of life. It took me five years to get my 720 days of sea time to sit for my captains license. There aint no free lunch. But it has been a fantastic and fabulous time for about 37 years....and we are still at it.

I would strongly suggest that you really investigate, and do some real thinking to make what ever decision that you are going to place your future life on.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM

814 posts, read 579,960 times
This thread is a bit old; how did the OP make up his mind?

My tuppence: I have visited HI only twice but met up with some friends of friends, if that makes sense. We chatted about Life on Kauai. Anyway, most people making $18/hour have more than one job to make ends meet. I was told that having two jobs is the norm and some even juggle three. So, if you don't have a good nest egg on which to fall back or plan to earn income from a source in addition to crewing, I'd think twice about giving up that six-figure job.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
This thread is a bit old; how did the OP make up his mind?
In his last post, 9 months ago - he was thinking about moving to Arizona

Old 08-12-2018, 04:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,048,910 times
Quote:
Sounds pretty silly. If I made 100k/year I'd be able to save 70k each and every year and throw that into investments.

At $18/hour (round it to 40k/year) I'd only be able to save 10k each year to invest.

What's your vacation package look like? I'll bet you could spend a couple weeks testing it out first.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 PM

814 posts, read 579,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In his last post, 9 months ago - he was thinking about moving to Arizona

Thanks! Guess he decided not to crew a boat.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
If I made 100k/year I'd be able to save 70k each and every year and throw that into investments.
The math doesn’t work. You’d net less than $70K per year after taxes. Then of course you need basic survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: