U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am moving to Kauai in a few weeks and would love tips from locals or mainlanders that live on the island.
I'm 25 years old and am interested in meeting people my age. I will be looking for a job in the tourism industry (restaurant/bar/resort), but I want to note I have an online business that generates monthly income. I work remotely, but would like the additional restaurant job because I am "realistic" about finances and would like to play it safe in an unknown situation.

I have a place to stay upon arrival in Kapaa and a roommate. This is temporary and I will be looking for my own place once I arrive. I've been told the Kapaa area is where I should look to live based off of my lifestyle. I like the idea of a close knit community/being surrounded by likeminded people.

Any tips on the different communities, buying a used car, job outlook, finding people to meet etc would be appreciated!! I have connections on island and have done my research, but any amount of input before arrival helps. I understand a lot of people are going to tell me to "Stay Home". I appreciate what you feel is a helpful dose of reality, but am looking for practical suggestions on living there, not advice on whether to do so.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM

8,375 posts, read 10,290,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem0nice View Post

I'm 25 years old and am interested in meeting people my age.

Mahalo!
Try Tinder, Match, POF.

Although you are on an island with only 65,000 people

Old 10-05-2017, 10:50 AM

92 posts, read 91,397 times
Great way to get into the community is by helping out the community .

Find a volunteering gig that you enjoy.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 PM

290 posts, read 142,028 times
Kapaa is nice, there is definitely rentals available around here. Kauai itself doesn't have the most youthful vibe (to me, I'm 24 years old), but you can find communities where young adults hang out (Volleyball league in Poipu or at Kalapaki or Pickelball in Kapaa, for example). The service industry is definitely where most of the jobs are at. The Kapaa Artwalk is the first Saturday night of each month, can be a cool place to meet people.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
Kapaa is nice, there is definitely rentals available around here. Kauai itself doesn't have the most youthful vibe (to me, I'm 24 years old), but you can find communities where young adults hang out (Volleyball league in Poipu or at Kalapaki or Pickelball in Kapaa, for example). The service industry is definitely where most of the jobs are at. The Kapaa Artwalk is the first Saturday night of each month, can be a cool place to meet people.
I like this response. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 AM

200 posts, read 746,364 times
For me Kauai is more family style and not much for young adults, everything basically closes early except for only a handful of places. Most of the kids here after High School head to the mainland for school and adventure. Being a male I honestly think you may have a hard time blending in with the locals, they do not seem open to new people. Depends on what type of person you are? If you are athletic that are a lot of mens leagues from soccer to basketball. Are you a earthy person then that is very North Shore and you can find that clique. You need to tell us more about you

Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 PM

36 posts, read 74,377 times
As for buying a used car, I would purchase a car on the mainland and ship it over. Used cars are more expensive here and come pre-rusted. Your future roommate can give you an idea of what's available. I'm so happy we brought our cars with us. And there are plenty of help wanted signs for side work. Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: