U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 AM

229 posts, read 113,429 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to take a week vacation on Kaua‘i and have no interest in staying at a resort. We visisted the Big Island this past summer and stayed at a resort which we thought was a waste of money being we were only at the resort to sleep. Is AirB&B reliable and are the reviews accurate? Would prefer a seperate guest house, but would be fine with an AirB&B where there is your own private bathroom and seperate enterance in a home. I checked the AirB&B app and there seems to be a lot of inventory under $100 a night.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM

14 posts, read 7,958 times
Don't have any experience with AirBnB, but I've used VRBO several times without any problems. Lots of listings for condos and guest houses. Besides just the location and view, also consider whether it has a kitchen (saves money by letting you cook some meals in), washer/dryer (allows you to pack lighter), and free parking.
VRBO does have those annoying booking fees, (4-9 %) just for going through their website, but perhaps you can contact an owner directly by looking up the listing online, and contacting them.
You can also check various management companies that list condos, Parrish, Aloha, Suite Paradise, to name a few. They also have fees, but I've found that they are usually less than VRBO.
Best of luck, and have a great trip!

Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoAmero View Post
Don't have any experience with AirBnB, but I've used VRBO several times without any problems. Lots of listings for condos and guest houses. Besides just the location and view, also consider whether it has a kitchen (saves money by letting you cook some meals in), washer/dryer (allows you to pack lighter), and free parking.
VRBO does have those annoying booking fees, (4-9 %) just for going through their website, but perhaps you can contact an owner directly by looking up the listing online, and contacting them.
You can also check various management companies that list condos, Parrish, Aloha, Suite Paradise, to name a few. They also have fees, but I've found that they are usually less than VRBO.
Best of luck, and have a great trip!

Thank you so much for the info. We will also look into a VRBO.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM

89 posts, read 59,292 times
Same - haven't used AirBNB but we always used VRBO on the BI until we bought there ourselves and never had any problems. As a side note - legal vacation rentals in Hawaii are required to list their Tax ID # in their listing somewhere. You will usually see this in the rates section of a listing. If you don't see that, it is possibly not a legal vacation rental. Kauai is amazing - you will have a wonderful time!

Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweez View Post
Same - haven't used AirBNB but we always used VRBO on the BI until we bought there ourselves and never had any problems. As a side note - legal vacation rentals in Hawaii are required to list their Tax ID # in their listing somewhere. You will usually see this in the rates section of a listing. If you don't see that, it is possibly not a legal vacation rental. Kauai is amazing - you will have a wonderful time!
Will pay attention to that. Thank you for the heads up. We are really looking forward to our visit. We loved the BI when we visited this past summer. We are actually looking to move to Hawai‘i when I’m retired in two years. So this summer we will visit Kaua‘i and January of 2019 visit Maui (that’s when she will do her interview). My wife applied for secondary English with the HDOE. We wanted to get a feel for the different islands to see which one fits us best. I did read an article that says Kaua‘i doesn’t have many teaching positions available, but still want to keep that option open and you never know.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 PM

397 posts, read 388,992 times
Did you find a place?

I'm gonna be actually going to Kauai next week for the long weekend (jaunting over from Honolulu here) and am looking at VRBO/AirBnB/regular hotels/resorts.

I did find a place that includes boogie boards and two beach chairs which would be super convenient (no need to lug or rent that stuff), so I may look into that.

Some of the bigger resorts/hotels can be expensive with their tacked on resort daily fees.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Did you find a place?

I'm gonna be actually going to Kauai next week for the long weekend (jaunting over from Honolulu here) and am looking at VRBO/AirBnB/regular hotels/resorts.

I did find a place that includes boogie boards and two beach chairs which would be super convenient (no need to lug or rent that stuff), so I may look into that.

Some of the bigger resorts/hotels can be expensive with their tacked on resort daily fees.
When we visited the Big Island, yeah the resort hit us over the head with those stupid fees. We didn’t see that coming. No more resorts for us when visiting. We are going to do two more visits before our move.

We haven’t set up a place to stay yet. Figured it is still early. Kinda torn between a VRBO or AirBnB. The one thing with an AirBnB is I don’t want to be walking though someone’s living room while they are watching the 4 O’clock news. It would have to have a seperate enterance or a guest house. I do like the idea of beach chairs provided, a cooler, and some boogie boards. Cooler for the beer of course on the beach.

January is where we will set up our arrangements. Let me know how things worked out for you?

Can’t wait to get my hike on, check out the beaches, different communities, and will look at some private schools as well.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM

8,401 posts, read 10,353,559 times
January is often very very rainy on Kauai. Just saying.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
January is often very very rainy on Kauai. Just saying.

We are going to kauai this summer and Maui the following January.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:13 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,734,588 times
We've stayed here
Hale Kua - Kauai Bed and Breakfast - Kauai South Shore Accommodations, minutes from Poipu Beach
It was very nice, up in the mountains a bit. Very private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai