Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 09:02 PM

51 posts, read 57,376 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am thinking of coming to Kuali for 6 to 7 days sometime between September and October. I do not want to rent a car (although I know one is recommended). I will make the sacrifices that are needed (e.g. not getting to see everything I would see with a car).

I have searched most of the Kapaa area (maybe even memorized all the hotels there!). But I am not finding what I am seeking which is:

(1) hotel in low to moderate price range (prefer under $200)
(2) where I can book tours OR walk to tours (I can easily walk 2 miles to a tour)
(3) on beach; close to white, sandy beaches (I like sea shell searching and just walking in the sand)

Some of the group tours I am considering are those that others post regarding on this site:

Wailua river kayak / falls tour (definitely want to do)
Boat trip or kayaking to see dolphins
Tubing
Hiking to falls

I am open to areas; I just liked what I read on Kapaa and saw on google maps (nice beaches).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by annie_CO; 08-21-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 04:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I assume that you are referring to the island of Kauai, not Kuali.

I can't give you any specific recommendations for hotels, but am wondering if you've checked for hostels. I just found Kauai Beach House Hostel that has dorm rooms and is right on the beach.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:33 PM

LOL!
I work with a web software named "Kuali" so it is on my mind too much. Sorry! LOL! Yes, I mean Kauai.

Thank you for letting me know on the hostel! I appreciate that.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:03 PM

252 posts, read 422,402 times
Yes, we may be able to help you, but you may have to compromise a bit.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 PM

Do not know about soft ware, but we do know the island....21 years, 10 of that living as full time residents on kauai. Sierra Club hike leaders, members of Malama ( protect Maha;ulepu), worked in the visitor industry, and explored island wide. Met and made wonderful long time friends. Kauai is a very special magical place .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Lodging : Poipu beach area. Search > suite paradise < Poipu . They have a marvelous web site, with photos of each condo unit and exact details . There are three sections, with Kahala, Manualoha, and Poipu Sands.

We stayed in all of the above sections, all are great, but Kahala is the least expensive. This is thru SUITE PARADISE. On sight property managers. Poipu Kai. You can walk very easily from Kahala Section in about five minutes or less, to Brenneckes Beach, Poipu Beach Park, and the beaches from poipu beach park along the shore line to Kiahuna and Sheraton Beach. ( less crowded than poipu beach park )

2. We just returned from a 3 week visit back to our beloved island. Stayed at Poipu Kai, thru suite paradise again, , in Kahala Secton # 832, One huge 1 bedroom, huge bath and shower with double sinks, large walk in closet, large living room , dining room and fully equipped kitchen. Your own key to the semi private swimming pool for your section. And a key to the very large main pool. Every thing that you need to move in and live as residents. Large outdoor lanai with patio furniture and garden view. About $ 135 / nt,plus taxes, etc. Look it up on the computer. They have many, many others. Excellent web site.

Very nice and fun restaurant and bar on property, called KALAPAKI JOES. Great happy hour prices on food and drink. Very friendly. However, suggest that you lay in some provisions to cook some meals at home.

If you can handle two miles, there are many restaurants, shops, a market, poipu shopping village,
kukui ula shopping village, restaurants , shops and galleries. Plus a great sunshine market on wednesdays with vendors and live music.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KAYAKING THE WAILUA RIVER , and hike to secret falls. Guided. You can book thru OUTFITTERS KAUAI on Poipu Road, same road as your lodging, and they have a GUIDED WAILUA RIVER KAYAK TOUR.... they load the kayaks on to a trailer, that is towed by the air conditioned van that you ride in. NO DRIVING BY YOU, NO RENTAL CAR REQUIRED AT ALL.

Also, they have zip lining, and land tours, and provide transportation. They also rent bikes.

You can look them up on the computer, Great , and friendly people. OUTFITTERS KAUAI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tubing is a bit of a drive away, and yes we have done it but, it is pretty tame, but we did have fun floating down the ditch, and going thru the tunnels hewed out by chinese workers to get water down to the cane fields. Back Countryi is the name of the company, and they are near Hanmaululu, far side of Lihue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAHA' ULEPU BEACH : You can walk easily from your condo, over passed ship wreck beach, and walk up the lava steps at the far end. You can turn right and walk out to Makawehe Point, and get photos of ship wrecks beach, and nawiliwili harbor and poipu beach area. Then, do a 180, and hike along the coastal trails over to maha'ulepu beach. No bars, no shops, just a beautiful beach. About 4 miles round trip, but you can turn around when ever you feel like it. Fabulous coastal and mountain photo ops.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also you can walk to several restaurants....some of our faves..... Up stairs Brenneckes across from Poipu Beach Park......Brenneckes deli for coffee, non alcoholic drinks, pastery, ice creame. Nice to start the day, with a coffee and a snack, walk across poipu road a few yards, and snug into a picnic table overlooking the beach and the ocean. Very peaceful , early am. I think they open about 7:30 am.

Also for booking tours, etc., Brenneckes Beach Center downstairs, when you book just one activity thru them you get a discount card, for meals up stairs, and also discounts on beach rentals, snorkel gear and beach wear at Nukumoi Surf Shop next door.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many, many restaurants and bars within a very easy walk...wont go thru all them now, but have a very important suggestion.

Even Prior to your leaving the mainland, for planning and everything that you need to know about Kauai, please get the UTLIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK, by Andy Doughty who lives on island. Excellent guide that will be very, very helpful. Important. Newest issue is # 10.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The scoops above are just a very few things that you can enjoy on kauai island. There is so much more.

E komo mai

WELCOME to kauai.

Denny

Old 08-25-2018, 05:20 AM

25 August 04:00 am Pacific : Hurricane Lane has been down graded to a tropical storm, and is forecast to pass south of kauai, but they can still expect large waves, rain and flooding. Erica's sister and hubby left kauai yesterday, for oahu, and back to Arizona.

Now, for some additional touring and visiting information for Annie:

Other island wide Tour Company...... ALOHA KAUAI TOURS.....excellent drivers and guides, comfortable air conditioned vans, and island wide tours. No huge Robert's bus style crammed to the max with multitudes of visitors.

You can check their website, as they sometimes will do pick ups at the resorts. Main offices and base were in the Lihue area. Highly recommend .

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Other sites and restaurants in the Poipu Area

* Keokies Paradise " in the Poipu Shopping Village, as well as a new and fun open air restaurant a few steps away.

* Da Crack " Small mexican food take out, next door to Outfitters in the small shopping center area next to the round about on Poipu Road. Excellent.

* " Honu " out door tiki bar and grille at the WAIOHAI ( Poipu marriot )....on the beach, view, friendly and great view. Next to Poipu Beach Park.

* " Plantation Gardens " early reservations for the outside lanai over looking the lush gardens and lilly pond. If you get there early, have time to stroll around the very beautiful orchid garden out side the entry.

* KUKUI'ULA Shopping village, near the round about area just off poipu road. New, very nice, they have Bubba Burgers, the Tortilla Republic, down stairs Merrimans bar and grille, upstairs Merrimans for quality dinning and sunsets.
Plus, Lapperts Ice cream parlor.

* Old KOLOA TOWN ( They may have a tram / shuttle running thru the Poipu / Koloa Area. Koloa Town is very tiny, with neat shops and galleries, Pizetta Piza, and our fave Italian restaurant in the poipu area....La Spezia...really nice.

Those are some of our faves, there are plenty more available to your personal tastes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sites :

* SPOUTING HORN, blow hole. with some tent vendors and local crafts. Comfort stations

* ALLERTON NATIONAL BOTANICAL GARDENS "...up near spounting horn, Very nice tour, part tram, part walking.

* SNORKELING: Poipu Beach Park , left side of the tombolo shallow and protected, right side of the tombolo ( sand spit )....better snorkeling out on the reef. Poipu Beach - life Guards.

* BEST SNORKELING: LAWAI BEACH at the Beach House Restaurant. Very good snorkeling, with a comfort station across the road for an outside fresh water wash down of you and your snorkel gear.

And much more, all listed in the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above are some of the reasons that we recommend Poipu Area , that they call SUNNY POIPU, for the best weather and ease of fun activities, sites, restaurants, shops, and all round fun.

Enjoy,

Denny

Old 08-25-2018, 10:28 PM

Thank you, Denny!

This is super helpful and I love the sites! I am going to check into this area more. I never considered it because it is far from the airport, but the photos are lovely...and the beach seems just perfect! And I do prefer things quaint/quiet.

I am so glad Hurricane Lana did not hit the islands as a hurricane, but sorry for the damage.

Thank you, again, and all the best to you!
Happy travels!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:51 AM

198 posts, read 386,790 times
Kauai Photo tours and other tour guides will pick you up just about anywhere and show you most of the island in a day.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 PM

KauaiPono, that is great to know! Thank you and everyone! I have been getting more enthusiastic and positive about this. And looking forward too to seeing Allerton. I love trees and noticed there are some beautiful trees there!

Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Annie

You mentioned trees and botanical gardens.

There in the poipu area is Allerton Botanical Gardens, RESERVATIONS a good plan. Combo tram and walking tour.

As to trees, this will knock your slippahs off..... They have these amazing FICUS TREES with roots that are taller than humans, I believe these trees were in the first Jurasic Park movie. Have your camera, very impactive.

Also, in the offices / admin and tours there at the gardens, a most wonderful lady, and dear friend to Erica and I, has worked there for years. If you get a chance, you might ask if Jessica is in, and tell her you have a huge aloha from Denny and Erica. She vibrates positiveness, and aloha and has sparkling eyes and a great smile and personality.

Kauai is Aloha

Denny and Erica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: