Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 PM

227 posts, read 918,502 times

Advertisements

Fly out of LA with my 2 dogs and a bird, landed in Honolulu and heading right to the Pet holding station. It is a good distance and I suggest you get one of those rolling carts if you are going back to catch a plane to another Island. It was a 1-1/2 Hour wait and I was the only one, luckily all my papers where in order. One thing though the Vet for the bird did not state that she was not injected with any live virisus, so I had to sign a paper that she will be quarantined in my house for the next 30 days. While I was there this young lady walked in carrying a small dog and turned it in. I guess she thought they would release it back to her but they are holding it for 120 days because of no papers, microchip and others. Turns out she went from Hawaii to the mainland for 10 days and returned and was told because the dog was from there she needed nothing.

Finally made it to my house in Kauai, at first I was a little doubtful on whether moving here was the right decision. But after being here not even a day I know it was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
cfg

10 posts, read 53,340 times
where are living on the island? we are moving on sep. 3rd. we are going to try to find something in kapaa.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
Welcome to the island! Keep up the positive thinking and you will enjoy all the island has to offer you.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
Default Me too!

Hey Bresdo, where are you staying? We just moved here too - arrived 8/12 - we're in Wailua. What are you up to? We shipped a container then drove cross-country from NY, took over 3 weeks to get here, so our container arrived at Nawiliwili the Saturday before we flew in. We just had it unloaded on Thursday.

We sent our cats ahead, my sister flew over to Honolulu to pick them up. We sent them on the 11 hour nonstop from Newark to HNL, arriving at 6:30 p.m.-ish, but the plane was 2 hours late leaving and we were wondering if they would be able to get through Agriculture that night. As it turned out, the pilot made up some time, and they JUST made it. Then sis had to stay overnight in Honolulu, because there were no more flights out to Kauai that late. There is only one accommodation that we could find on Oahu that would take cats, it is the "W" hotel, a REALLY pricey resort. So they had a nice evening there and then brought the kitties back to Kauai the next morning. It was nice for us to finally see our sweeties when we arrived 3+ weeks later.

We were a little "doubtful" too, when we first walked into our house, for many reasons. But we're over that now, and life is really good.

So, PM me for more chats about life here on our gorgeous little rock. We have signed up at Costco and shopped there (there is another discount house called "CostULess" but it's hard to find, if you're interested I can let you know where it is), and also checked out the YMCA (because my son is a US swimmer, who is transferring to the team here). Everyone seems SO nice and many people have given us all kinds of useful information. We love it here!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 AM

150 posts, read 725,916 times
Default So glad you posted!

Hey Sweetbeat!

So glad you are posting again.

We are STILL right behind you and we officially booked our flight, hotel for a two night stay in Honolulu (oh yes, that "pet friendly" hotel is outrageous) and two nights is costing us a pretty penny. We are going to rent a car in Honolulu the day after we arrive and take it and the three cats over to Maui on the superferry (this is the only way we could find to get three cats over with us, and we are hoping that it’s going to be a cool experience), we booked that too. We got a cell phone with a 808 number and we are all set up at the UPS store in Maui with a PO box. The only things we have left to do are renting a place, so we have somewhere to live until we purchase a home and get our health insurance in order (which we have started to do). We found a great real estate agent in Maui and she is looking at places and we have been getting a lot of good leads on our own too. We are closing on our house here in NY on or about Sept 29th and than we are off – packing really sucks and we are going to be getting a 20 foot container probably around the 23rd of Sept. If you get a moment can you email me as I have some questions to ask you about the cats and the Agriculture Dept.? I have been checking the airport arrival times at Honolulu Int’l and I see that Continental is late 50% of the time. Being we have three cats I want to make sure we can take them with us after we land. It's been an interesting experience so far and it's really nice to see how others have done the move.

Thanks and I’m so very glad you have arrived and you’re enjoying your new environment!

Last edited by Frangi914; 08-17-2008 at 04:07 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:38 AM

227 posts, read 918,502 times
Default Kauai

We are living in Kilauea and everything is just great. My daughter ages 6 & 8 are loving it. We live on a block with about 10 other kids in their age range and they are fast making friends. Yesterday they were all at my house playing Wii and games all day long. Having a hard time remembering all the kids names and they are eating me out of house but all is good.

Our only problem is we are getting eaten alive by the bugs and have bites all over. Using OFF bug spray but does not seem to help. Talking to some locals they say it takes about 4-6 months and you build up an immunity to them and wont feel it anymore or get the reaction. I hope so and it is a small price to pay for paradise.

Already signed the girls up for soccer and had some practices so it is going well there. They start school next week and we are really getting into the swing of things.

Already hit Costco and have seen the CostUless but did not go in there. Is it any good?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 AM

Costco has a better selection than Costuless, but you may find a better selection of local style foods. However, it would be closer to you than going all the way down to Lihue.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM

OH and the bug bites will subside. Was your house vacant for a bit prior to your moving in? Bugs may have settled in and hence your bug bites...You might want to try citronella coils for a bit....

Old 08-18-2008, 03:46 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Eh, if you get da kine uku's, as in bugs,,,,juss try "Rent a gecko", eh, rent one, maybe two, or juss go for it, rent one hundred, gaurens your hale, as in house goin be bug free in no time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only joking, aloha, geckos will get the job done, Hawaii's friendly pesticide

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM

25 posts, read 124,935 times
Absorbine Jr. helps take the itch away once you've already been bit. Avon sells a non poisonous bug repellant and to keep the bugs away you can use those green coils. My mom used to call them cinco. They sell them at Longs Drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai