Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,868 times

Advertisements

Hi, my hubby and I have absolutely fallen in love with Kauai! In fact, we were married there last summer. Could anyone please give us some information on places for rent that will allow pets and also if there are many jobs available there?

Thank you in advance for any help and/or advice,

Tammy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,992,439 times
Wonderful. Best of luck. I've always wanted to move there.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyarndt View Post
Hi, my hubby and I have absolutely fallen in love with Kauai! In fact, we were married there last summer. Could anyone please give us some information on places for rent that will allow pets and also if there are many jobs available there?

Thank you in advance for any help and/or advice,

Tammy
Welcome.
Right now,there are virtually ZERO jobs to be had. If you can transfer with an existing company, then do that, otherwise, have a good year's worth of funds available to you to live off of.

Even better, rent a vacation rental for a month or two and see what it is like to live on a small island. (We would go crazy on Kauai)

Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 AM

18,325 posts, read 18,903,953 times
aloha, kauai is beautiful. not many jobs at all at present on any of the islands. keep an eye on the local newspaper, it is on line. that will give you a good idea to jobs as well as real estate. if you can wait the best thing for you guys to do would be to make a long term plan. save as much money as you can. even in a good economy finding work is hard that pays anymore than ten bucks an hour is hard to come by. so come with as much money as you can so you can settle in. many people have two jobs to get by. if you can wait untill the economy turns around your chances for long term island living will be better. is the work experience you have geared to tourism or retail? it is mostly a service jobs that are available unless you are a doctor, nurse or teacher.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
If the hurricane whacks it like Iniki and Iwa did, then there will be a lot of repair work to be done. Dunno if there would be much money in it, though, didn't the insurance companies go broke and not pay out last time? It's been awhile, I've forgotten the details.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,446,458 times
I just read in the paper that unemployment in Kauai (which is much higher than unemployment in Oahu and Maui) is at around 11%. 2 years ago, it was at about 2-4%. It is not the best time to come looking for jobs- I have many friends who are unemployment and can find temporary work or a part time job, but not too many full time, well paying jobs.

Places that allow dogs are out there, but not too readily available. Most rentals listed in Garden Island don't allow dogs, but many in craigslist do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai