U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM

17 posts, read 69,325 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I visited Kauai back in September 2008 and were overwhelmed with the beauty of the island. We've been considering a temporary move to Kauai for a couple of years while we're still young and have the flexibility to travel without permanent obligations such as children. Can anyone offer some advice on how much we will need per month to live there? If you could break it down by cost that would be really great (i.e. amount for housing, utilities, food, etc. etc.). I did do a little research on CL and saw available housing with utilities included being offered for about $1000/month, although I'm not sure if these places are realistic or that if includes some sort of "catch."

FYI I have enough savings to support both of us during this time, so please do not feel the need to warn me about the lack of jobs; I'm simply interested in how much I should expect to withdraw from my savings if I decided to do this (not that this means I wouldn't look into getting a job while I'm there but I have enough saved up such that I wouldn't have to work at any point while I'm there).

Thanks in advance to anyone for any advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 PM

454 posts, read 756,318 times
Friend,
I'm not from Kauai, but i can tell you with certainty that the answer you're looking for almost certainly depends on your 'standard of living'!
how are you trying to live? i'm sure one could find a way to spend a million bucks a month...but is that realistic for you and your needs? i suggest you are more specific about how you'd like to live and what types of luxuries you'd like to have before anyone is able to give you estimated figures.

Best of luck and i have to tell you that you are doing what i've always wanted to do...so i really do hope that you go through with it. best of luck.

cheers.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
Friend,
I'm not from Kauai, but i can tell you with certainty that the answer you're looking for almost certainly depends on your 'standard of living'!
how are you trying to live? i'm sure one could find a way to spend a million bucks a month...but is that realistic for you and your needs? i suggest you are more specific about how you'd like to live and what types of luxuries you'd like to have before anyone is able to give you estimated figures.

Best of luck and i have to tell you that you are doing what i've always wanted to do...so i really do hope that you go through with it. best of luck.

cheers.
100% correct and good advice.

One thing to consider is renting a condo in the Poipu area. I've seen some nice units going empty so owners are hungry to rent. This way you could rent a nice place until you get a better feel for the island and whether you want to do the house thing and where.

I've got a friend that rents an upscale 1 BR long term at Marriott's Waiohai (Poipu) for $1600 a month from an individual. Renting a $1K a month house is going to put you in the local population with the barking dogs and ice dealers.

I would check the Garden Island News (local paper) for listings.

TheGardenIsland.com > Front

Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks guys so much for the helpful feedback.

Kleenex I agree with you that a lot depends on what I want my standard of living to be. I definitely want my standard of living to be simple without excess luxuries; one, because I don't need much to live on, and two, to minimize the amount of savings I'd need to withdraw. Thanks also for the well wishes; it's nice to hear you were considering the same thing, although there's no doubt it's a difficult decision even though going through with it is very appealing.

Balad - thanks for the advice and the link. Are you saying that it might be unsafe to live in a more local area without knowing the island a little better?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM

71 posts, read 200,881 times
Been doing a lot of research on this myself as I have a job that I can do from anywhere. I have seen some nice rentals in the Princeville area and figure I would need about $1500-1700 per month for rent/utilites. Then an additional $600-700 for groceries (for 2). We are very easy to please though, we just need a clean/safe place and tend to cook almost all our meals at home although we eat well. Then of course you need to factor in transportation costs. Hope you make it there! It's a good time to go - no kids yet!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 AM

71 posts, read 200,881 times
By the way sometimes the "catch" with the cheaper rentals is not always that they are in a bad location. It could also be that they do not have a full kitchen or are extremely small (500-600 sq ft).

Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 AM

2,842 posts, read 4,669,313 times
I would imagine that Kauai is like the Big Island, where our house is. The challenge with renting from afar is that you don't know what kind of neighborhood, or even what kind of neighbors, you are going to end up with. You could have the neighbor with 12 junk vehicles in their front yard, or the neighbor that's dealing. For the same price in the same area but on a different street, you could have great neighbors. You also want to know if there are dogs that bark all night or rosters that start crowing at 2:00 a.m. (I haven't figured that one out yet, but they do)

Maybe you could find something short-term for when you first arrive, then have time to go check out the long-term rentals and find what suits you best.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Jena, you're lucky that you have a job you can do anywhere! Thanks for the helpful advice; I'm in the same boat - just need a clean/safe place and a simple budget. It is a good time to go; no kids and no obligations tying you down. Hope things work out for you too.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Dreaming, I think that's a good idea. I'd be uncomfortable signing a lease without looking at the place first. I was just doing some research online to get an idea of how much I should expect to spend. But I think you're right; I should plan to stay in a short term rental or hotel for a couple of weeks before agreeing to a longer lease.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord34 View Post
Thanks guys so much for the helpful feedback.

Kleenex I agree with you that a lot depends on what I want my standard of living to be. I definitely want my standard of living to be simple without excess luxuries; one, because I don't need much to live on, and two, to minimize the amount of savings I'd need to withdraw. Thanks also for the well wishes; it's nice to hear you were considering the same thing, although there's no doubt it's a difficult decision even though going through with it is very appealing.

Balad - thanks for the advice and the link. Are you saying that it might be unsafe to live in a more local area without knowing the island a little better?

Yes exactly; if I remember correctly section 8 housing gives people/families $1K a month for rent so you would also be up against that also.

If you have any questions about a paticular development or area let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai