Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,998 times

Advertisements

they were brought over with the first Polynesian settlers a long long time ago. the storm helped to spread them but they were already there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,775 times
I remember chickens walking across my feet while using a computer in a hostel on the island. It gave me a chuckle. Just ask them to leave nicely.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Feral chickens are tasty, absolutely they taste a lot more like chicken than factory farmed ones. Some of the jungle fowl can have dark colored meat, although I'm not sure if that's typical of all jungle fowl or just the ones around here. I think some Silky blood got mixed into the jungle fowl around here. Silkies have fuzzy feathers and look like a feather boa and their meat is very dark.

Comparing feral or backyard raised eggs to commercial farmed eggs, the feral/backyard egg yolks will be a very dark yellow or almost orange because they are eating a natural diet instead of the commercial feed farmed chickens eat.
These are two eggs from my backyard chickens. They are primarily Rhode Island Reds although one is a barred Rock. They eat mostly bugs and such and when the eggs are slow cooked the whites have almost a cake like texture nothing rubbery at all and they have a great flavor.

Folks are so trained to eat inferior food from commercial sources it's a shame. Right now I have a pan of fresh bamboo shoots simmering. We have so many bamboo shoots now since it's bamboo season that I'm canning some up for later. Fresh bamboo shoots are incredibly fragrant! You won't get this from a can! Use some feral chicken and some fresh bamboo to make chop suey or a stir fry and it's so ono!

Feral chickens aren't a problem if you eat them, then they are a resource. Keep a few as pets, eat the eggs, eat the ones that annoy you and then it's all good.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Be careful where you get your "free range" chickens or eggs. Various studies have shown a multiple X increase in the possibility of salmonella from free range vs "factory" chickens.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
?link? How so would salmonella be more prevalent in free range chickens than cooped chickens?

(we wash our eggs pretty well as soon as they're gathered and they go right in the fridge)

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I absolutely refuse to be afraid of home raised food versus factory food. I know where my chickens are and what they've been eating and where it came from. Factory food is a complete unknown and in the hands of strangers - especially scary is that they are strangers who's only agenda is to make money and have very little concern other than that. My family's health is much more important than some stranger making money.

I don't wash the fertile free range eggs from my backyard nor do I refrigerate them. I put the date on them and leave them in a basket on the counter. An egg is designed to wait in the nest for several weeks while the hen is laying enough eggs until she sets on the whole batch of them. So they will stay good for up to about three weeks just sitting on a counter. If the eggs are older than three weeks, I'll crack them into a cup first to make sure they are good but even at a month old and unrefrigerated, 99% of them are still good. I have had a few "bad" eggs when they get over about five weeks old if they are unrefrigerated but mostly it is that the yolk breaks, not that the egg stinks or is truly spoiled.

Has anyone else noticed an attempt to increase the fear of home made, home raised or home grown foods? It seems there are all sorts of little insidious things out there trying to undermine the wholesomeness of home made foods. Are the commercial food makers that nervous about market share?

In commercially raised eggs and chicken, there are large batches which are processed in the same liquids. If one in a thousand chickens has salmonella that can transfer it to thousands of other ones. I process less than two dozen chickens a year so if there is a one in a thousand chance of a chicken having salmonella at two dozen chickens a year how many years will it take? I'm not gonna live long enough and I trust myself a LOT more than any factory farm.

For that matter, germs and bacteria are on everything anyway so having a good healthy body is a better defense than handing your money over to some factory out of some sort of induced fear of salmonella, staph, bacteria, germs, etc. What we have seen in factory farms just lately has been melamine and growth hormones in the feed. There is bovine growth hormones in most commercial milk, too. No thank you, I prefer my "dangerous" home grown foods.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM

72 posts, read 346,732 times
I moved to Kauai at the beginning of the year and I love the feral chickens. Moving from a big city, I much rather hear chickens than traffic. Besides, they were here before I was so they have seniority. Sometimes at night they have a noisy party outside so I just put in earplugs and...silence. It is a fair trade since they eat the bugs around my house.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
According to the CDC, today the salmonella infection comes from an infected chicken, and would be inside the egg, not on the outside shell. Washing and storage of the egg is less the issue than the chicken. Apparently in the past salmonella might be present due to fecal matter or other contamination of the shell, but now a perfectly normal appearing egg might be contaminated.

There seems to be a lot of info out there of proper refrigeration and washing of eggs, although I'm not sure that doing such would kill or stymie salmonella already inside an egg. Perhaps those cautions are for spoilage, not infection.

HOWEVER, instances are extremely low, 1 in 10,000 eggs. And I would agree with hotzcatz, that I'd rather eat eggs from a source that knows the whole chicken life and egg handling process from start to finish.

Disease Listing, Salmonella enteritidis, Generall Information | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases

Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM

46 posts, read 141,141 times
Cooking is the answer. Big store, small store, it doesn't matter, cooking is the way to fight salmonella. Salmonellosis - In sickness and health - Positions and Promotions - The magazine for top managers - careers, top management, C-suite, promotions, business, news,
And of course, sometimes you can't trust big companies that run for the money.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I absolutely refuse to be afraid of home raised food versus factory food. I know where my chickens are and what they've been eating and where it came from. Factory food is a complete unknown and in the hands of strangers - especially scary is that they are strangers who's only agenda is to make money and have very little concern other than that. My family's health is much more important than some stranger making money.

I don't wash the fertile free range eggs from my backyard nor do I refrigerate them. I put the date on them and leave them in a basket on the counter. An egg is designed to wait in the nest for several weeks while the hen is laying enough eggs until she sets on the whole batch of them. So they will stay good for up to about three weeks just sitting on a counter. If the eggs are older than three weeks, I'll crack them into a cup first to make sure they are good but even at a month old and unrefrigerated, 99% of them are still good. I have had a few "bad" eggs when they get over about five weeks old if they are unrefrigerated but mostly it is that the yolk breaks, not that the egg stinks or is truly spoiled.

Has anyone else noticed an attempt to increase the fear of home made, home raised or home grown foods? It seems there are all sorts of little insidious things out there trying to undermine the wholesomeness of home made foods. Are the commercial food makers that nervous about market share?

In commercially raised eggs and chicken, there are large batches which are processed in the same liquids. If one in a thousand chickens has salmonella that can transfer it to thousands of other ones. I process less than two dozen chickens a year so if there is a one in a thousand chance of a chicken having salmonella at two dozen chickens a year how many years will it take? I'm not gonna live long enough and I trust myself a LOT more than any factory farm.

For that matter, germs and bacteria are on everything anyway so having a good healthy body is a better defense than handing your money over to some factory out of some sort of induced fear of salmonella, staph, bacteria, germs, etc. What we have seen in factory farms just lately has been melamine and growth hormones in the feed. There is bovine growth hormones in most commercial milk, too. No thank you, I prefer my "dangerous" home grown foods.
Hotz, as usual you nailed it. My chickens keep the centipede population in my yard at a level I can live with, they are entertaining and harmless. 3 are cooped presently and 3 are "free".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai