Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 AM

24 posts, read 84,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSummer7 View Post
This is so true!

re: Hawaii public school system's poor reputation

Correct my if I'm wrong, but this is what I've heard...

A higher than average percentage of the students in Hawaii public schools speak english as a second language.

A higher than average percentage of the students in Hawaii public schools move there part way through the school year (therefore a higher than average percentage of the students in Hawaii public schools at a given time will not be there for the full school year)

IF this is all true, I wonder how much of the poor reputation of the Hawaii public school system is due to these challenges.

If one is struggling with English as a second language, of course one's test scores will be lower and drag down the average. (I'm not saying that everyone for whom English is a second language will struggle, just saying that it might be the case that there is a significant portion of ESL students who have difficulties due to language barrier issues.)

If one is struggling due to moving in the midst of a school year, one is more likely to have lower test scores and drag down the average.

Your comments and thoughts?

Are these issues a large part of the problem? Or is the main cause of the poor performance in Hawaii public schools due to other factors such as the quality of the teaching, lack of funding etc?

Good questions. I've been working at a public high school here for about a decade and you are right on about ESL students. We have a huge influx of Marshallese and rural Filipino students that sometimes have almost little to no educational background, let alone English exposure. The majority of students here speak pidgin as their primary language and have a difficult time articulating in proper English.

The indisputable reason why our schools are so low performing is for one reason and one reason only: apathy. It is absolutely mind-boggling.

I believe the demographics breakdown to be around 40% Filipino, 20% Caucasian, 20% Japanese, 15% native Hawaiian, and 5% other. Most locals are extremely mixed with the little bit of everything, but by and large we are more like Manila than anything else.

On average, our public elementary schools are okay, but junior high and high school is horrendous. The average incoming freshman performs 3 to 5 grade levels behind in reading, writing, and mathematics. The problem is we give just as many or more A's than anybody else, so many parents think that because their child has good grades there isn't a problem. Reality usually doesn't set in until college and they get placed in remedial classes and struggle. Only a small percentage of high school graduates make it through college for various reasons. That is not to say there are exceptions to this.

Island school is known to be pretty good for the elementary grades, but questionable beyond 7th. There are many top-rated private high schools on other islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:10 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Default Racial distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisKrisKris View Post
I have heard it's 30%ish native / 30%ish asian / 30%ish caucasian distribution on other islands - how about in Kauai?
Here are the distributions (according to City Data) for Honolulu on Oahu, and the two cities listed on Kauai (scroll down):

http://www.city-data.com/city/Honolulu-Hawaii.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kapaa-Hawaii.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lihue-Hawaii.html

There are exceptions, like Princeville:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Princeville-Hawaii.html

Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,921 times
Wow i stumbled upon this thread while googling preschools on Kaua'i--as I have a 3 year old! I am local, born and raised here. I am half Hawaiian, a quarter Phillipino and the rest haole. My grandmother is German/Hawaiian. I am a true mut, or a mixed plate as we say in Hawai'i. This is the norm--that most locals are multi-ethnic. I went to Kapa'a Elementary School which I thought was amazing!!! But I graduated from an elite private school on O'ahu and then went on to attend an Ivy League School. I feel very fortunate!!!!
So my thoughts on the public schools on Kaua'i--Elementary and Middle Schools are great, but I don't think that any of the public high schools here on the island can provide a top-notch education. That being said, I kinda feel like...most everyone i know sends their kids to private schools these days????? My mom was a single mom with three children (my dad died when were little) so we were fortunate enough to get scholarships.
Island School was mentioned in an earlier thread: when i was growing up it was the waspy school where all the rich haoles would send their kids. But it was also a great school with great teachers and smart kids. Their efforts to diversify their student body have certainly paid off--as there are many "local" kids that attend these days. I feel like the elitist vibe and pretentious attitude have certainly lessened. But still, it's still a really white school and I feel like the kids are sort of sheltered.
But again thats probably the only school that I would send my kid too if I choose to live here on Kaua'i when my son gets older (for education on Kaua'i)but Ill probably end up moving to O'ahu later because there are amazing private schools to choose from as well as much better public schools than on Kaua'i. But why does everyone wanna move to Kaua'i? I don't get it, it's not the spot for higher education.
Also, being a white kid on Kaua'i is not the end of the world. My best friend is a born and raised haole girl and the type of racism experienced isn't comparable to things that have happened in the south.....its much more slapstick.. My boyfriend is a born and raised haole boy and while he was teased when he was little...it all kind of just went away eventually. Local haoles and local Hawaiians/Phillipinos/Portoguese/Chinese etc...it's just all the same y'know? But it does happen that haole kids gets teased for their skin color---as they are typically the minority in a classroom; but then in the same breath you have a hawaiian kid teasing a Japanese kid because of their eye shape---a Phillipino kid being asked if they "eat" dogs at home? Yknow? But this is normal growing up in the multi-ethnic pot that is Hawaii? Best of luck to you. I enjoyed reading things in this thread.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM

227 posts, read 917,846 times
We have been living on Kauai for 5 years now and neither of my girls experienced any racism what so ever. It may be different on Oahu but for the most part I really don't think it is a big deal here. My girls have attended private school 4 of the 5 years and went to public for one year. I found that when we moved here I got them involved in soccer and dancing hula and Tahitian. So outside of the school they became friendly with a different sect of girls and became accepted in the community. We are looking into moving next summer to Oahu and right now doing some research on things, I really hope it is the same there for us as it here on Kauai.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Having lived around the world, Oahu is the least racist place I've ever been to.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 AM

3 posts, read 2,495 times
Out of all the islands which one would be recommended to move a family of four (kids are eight and sixteen) in terms of public education and job opportunities? My husband works in restaurant management and I have customer service and medical office experience. We now live in Southeast Georgia. Kind thanks in advance for any replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai