Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,880 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Ky from Cape Coral, Fl to find an older home with acreage to retire on. Does anyone have knowledge or an opinion of Calvert City? I am not looking for a place with a lot to do. My husband and I usually manage to entertain ourselves by working in the yard, going fishing, etc. What is life like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
LOL to funny I just had some friends move up here from Cape Coral, last fall.

Calvert is the small industrial town, I've heard some complain of odors from the factories and some others not. It's a nice location as far as it's near the lakes and the LBL, near Paducah and shopping. Marshall co taxes are high for the area, less than FL but high for here. it varies throughout the county but it averages .99 per $100 or about that. There is some nice farm land cheaper north of Calvert in Livingston Co and Lyon Co.

What's live like? Laid back and relaxed for the most part.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 AM

76 posts, read 344,770 times
Sounds like you are looking in the right area, southwestern Ky.
The towns around here are small, friendly and laid back.
With great fishing on Barkley Lake or Kentucky Lake.
You should check out Trigg, Caldwell, Lyon, Livingston, Marshall and Calloway Counties.
To get to larger towns certain areas have Interstste 24, Western Ky Parkway and US 68.
Easy to get to larger town such as Paducah, KY and Nashville, TN.
And don't forget to check out "The Land Between the Lakes".
Some towns have state parks and even a college.
If you would like more information just let me know.

KYHummingbird
katd@apex.net

Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,035 times
My husband and I REALLY want to move to Kentucky within the next five years. We looked at Benton and were pleased; now I am checking out the surrounding areas as well. We enjoy boating and fishing, and we both ride dirtbikes (KDX). My brother-in-law owns kdxrider.net, and I am sure he would love to have a place to visit and ride that doesn't end up costing him an arm and a leg to stay. (Thank goodness for family, eh?)
See you all in a few years!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXButterfly View Post
My husband and I REALLY want to move to Kentucky within the next five years. We looked at Benton and were pleased; now I am checking out the surrounding areas as well. We enjoy boating and fishing, and we both ride dirtbikes (KDX). My brother-in-law owns kdxrider.net, and I am sure he would love to have a place to visit and ride that doesn't end up costing him an arm and a leg to stay. (Thank goodness for family, eh?)
See you all in a few years!!!
KDX, show your brother-in-law this website LBL | OHV Riding & Camping
Turkey Bay is in the Land Between the Lakes and you can take just about any off road vehicle out there. Friend of ours likes to take his 4 wheel drive Ford Ranger out there while the rest of his friends are on their 4 wheelers. You can camp there too. It's about 25 miles from Benton.

cindysid, I didn't mean to ignore your question about Calvert City, but to tell you the truth, I've lived in this area all my life (so far!) and I've been there once and that was last summer. At one time about the late 60s early 70s there were factories along the Tennessee River in Calvert City that put out so much smoke and who knows what else that, if you were in a boat on the river you took a risk riding through the thick fog. EPA and all that seriously cleaned everything up over there. You'll be pretty centrally located there. Paducah is just about a half hour drive on I-24. Murray State University is about 32 miles away. If you head east on I-24 you're about a couple hours from Nashville, Tn. There's a lot to see and do in that area. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by kygman; 01-22-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Calvert City is not "bad" but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there when one of those factories explodes. But like kygman said, you will be in a good location to get to wherever you need to go.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

19 posts, read 63,874 times
cindysid or KDX....we will sell you our home! We are in extreme Carlisle county..right on the north Graves county line. Home built in 2005...2 bedroom, bath and a half, laundry, open kitchen/dining/living room. Sits on approx 13 acres...about 9 open pasture...4 wooded. In the country...12 mile from Mayfield...approx 25 from Paducah...two hours to Nashville...good neighbors...quiet, peaceful, with deer and turkey on back of property. $90,000.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:29 AM

5 posts, read 25,057 times
I have lived in Paducah, Mayfield, Murray and Marion. I would say my favorite place to live is Murray. Small town feel with nice parks, 15 minutes to Ky Lake and Land Between the Lakes. Murray State University is located there. Murray has several nice places to eat, shop and Play. Low crime rate!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM

174 posts, read 540,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
LOL to funny I just had some friends move up here from Cape Coral, last fall.

Calvert is the small industrial town, I've heard some complain of odors from the factories and some others not. It's a nice location as far as it's near the lakes and the LBL, near Paducah and shopping. Marshall co taxes are high for the area, less than FL but high for here. it varies throughout the county but it averages .99 per $100 or about that. There is some nice farm land cheaper north of Calvert in Livingston Co and Lyon Co.

What's live like? Laid back and relaxed for the most part.
Good input, but...

I lived in Calvert City as a wee lad (from infancy to early childhood.) Everything was so close together, many people, such as my father, could walk to work. He tells me it's common knowledge around there that Livingston County is where all the bad smells are carried by the wind from the factories. I guess it's a tradeoff. Cheaper land but with a small price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindysid View Post
We are considering moving to Ky from Cape Coral, Fl to find an older home with acreage to retire on. Does anyone have knowledge or an opinion of Calvert City? I am not looking for a place with a lot to do. My husband and I usually manage to entertain ourselves by working in the yard, going fishing, etc. What is life like there?
Since you all are into gardening, I should probably bring up that Calvert City sits in the middle of Kentucky's most tropical area.

Planting zone map here:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/map/hzm-sm1.html

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 02-05-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,646 times
I grew up in Calvert City, but live elsewhere now. It is a small city (roughly 3000), but economically it is very stable and a very nice place to live. The county has a around 31-32,000 people. The smoke from the industrial plants is really a non-issue. Growing up there I can tell you that you will very rarely smell anything. I like the area because of the proximity to multiple amenities. You're 5 minutes from KY Lake, 15 minutes from the Southside Paducah, and 20-25 minutes from the West End of Paducah. Paducah has several restaurants and good shopping as well as a regional airport. You'll be about 1.5 hours from Nashville and 3 hours from St Louis and Louisville. Marshall County itself has a decent number of local restaurants (nothing fancy) with most being BBQ or seafood/fish. The community is strong and the school district is very solid (I can say that the education I received there prepared me very well compared to my peers from around the country). I would put the high school campus and facilities up against any public school in the country. If you like fishing you're going to be in the middle of some of the best fishing in the country, and the lakes provide oodles of recreational opportunities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky