U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM

407 posts, read 1,031,101 times

Advertisements

...and I don't care what people say about Kentucky hillbillies, rednecks, or Kentucky politics, Kentucky shcools etc.... After seriously considering retiring to Bardstown, KY, we found more to our liking a little place on Lake Cumberland just outside of Russell Springs, KY about a mile from Alligator 2. We drove down over the 4th to clean the home, move some things in, hook up the cable etc... Everywhere we went, we were welcomed with open arms, people who didn't even know us waved. Everyone we talked to about getting some small things repaired on the home, bent over backwards to help us. Thank you, Kentucky for being a state with friendly people, having good food, having small farmers markets where I can get "real" fresh fruit and veggies, having inexpensive electricity, inexpensive propane costs, good drinking water, good fishing lakes.....did I mention the friendly people?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,058,977 times
When it comes to retirement, Kentucky really does have a lot going for it. There are several outstanding and affordable areas to retire, certainly including the Bardstown area.

Thanks for the nice post -- nice people usually find nice people!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 AM

6,366 posts, read 11,550,111 times
There was an older man I was good friends with before he died, where I used to live. If you rode in the car with him (might get up to 45 MPH if he was in a hurry. lol) every time a car went by, he would wave. It was like there was some type of radar that, when an oncoming car got a certain distance from his, he would wave. After a few waves he would look over and say,"My daddy said it don't cost a damn dime to wave to somebody". To this day I still wave at people I pass in cars.
Once you get settled in your new place I hope you'll get out and see more friendly people all over Kentucky and see what there is to see here. Welcome to Ky!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM

That man sound just like my dad. We do intend to get out and about. I have found at least 100 places all within 2 hours driving that I want to see. One is the Red River Gorge. I can't wait to get there, do some camping and hiking and take photos. Everytime we cross over into the Kentucky State line I feel like I have found paradise. It is like some sort of connection I can't explain. I must have been a Kentuckian in one of my past lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
There was an older man I was good friends with before he died, where I used to live. If you rode in the car with him (might get up to 45 MPH if he was in a hurry. lol) every time a car went by, he would wave. It was like there was some type of radar that, when an oncoming car got a certain distance from his, he would wave. After a few waves he would look over and say,"My daddy said it don't cost a damn dime to wave to somebody". To this day I still wave at people I pass in cars.
Once you get settled in your new place I hope you'll get out and see more friendly people all over Kentucky and see what there is to see here. Welcome to Ky!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM

206 posts, read 989,677 times
I know exactly how you feel. I've lived here, just north of Russell Springs, for two years. I've also found everyone I meet to be very friendly and helpful for all kinds of information. I also noticed that everyone would wave, or just raise a finger ( not the middle one ) off the steering wheel when passing. It's become a habit for us as well.

I still get people asking me "where'd you move in from"... because even though I moved from Florida after living there 17 years and before that lived 35 years in Massachusetts... I still talk funny

Welcome to KY !!! and if you should ever want to wander up to Liberty, come the last weekend in September for the The apple festival !!!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Apple Festival? That just went on my list! Going to a spoon bread festival in Berea in September as well.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM

6,366 posts, read 11,550,111 times
Save room after you eat all those apples at the apple festival. Come on down to Cadiz (18 miles west of Hopkinsville) October 8, 9, 10 for the Country Ham Festival. Home of the Trigg County Country Ham Festival in Cadiz, Trigg County, Kentucky. The best country hams in the world are produced here in Cadiz and Trigg County.
You'll have to come and sample the 4,000 lb. country ham biscuit!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 PM

I knew about the country ham festival, cuz' that one is on hubby's list. I think we better combine lists! We will be there. I almost couldn't drag hubby back to work here after he tasted the bacon there.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM

206 posts, read 989,677 times
Here's the link for the apple festival. Casey County Apple Festival

Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM

Thank you, thank you for the link. Have it bookmarked and on the calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky