U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
 
393 posts, read 1,743,249 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

I was recently in Paducah and I can really see that city as being the next boom, if they get that downtown going, and those walls down, it could really be nice. Maybe it wouldnt be such a bad place to buy into, and now while it is still cheap.......The old, and very historical downtown is awesome, but they are ALL up for sale very cheap.......boy if I just had a partner could I do something with that.........wooooohoooo!!! LOL But, I have vision and I could sure see a really great area. I am hoping they do something like Pearl street in Boulder. Now, I also heard rumors of the flood walls coming down, now that would be da bomb!

Also Henderson seems like a nice clean city with the riverfront and all........Wondering what the employment situation is like out there.....anyone know? Also, anything u can tell me about living in the area! Is it easy to meet people, and fit in? I guess I am wondering how many transplants are there.....from different locales. Anyhow any info would be wonderful including good info on neighborhoods.

Guess I wouldn't rule out Owensboro, I Absolutely love Louisville but a little too big for me!!! LOL

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM
 
6,569 posts, read 13,790,987 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
I was recently in Paducah and I can really see that city as being the next boom, if they get that downtown going, and those walls down, it could really be nice. Maybe it wouldnt be such a bad place to buy into, and now while it is still cheap.......The old, and very historical downtown is awesome, but they are ALL up for sale very cheap.......boy if I just had a partner could I do something with that.........wooooohoooo!!! LOL But, I have vision and I could sure see a really great area. I am hoping they do something like Pearl street in Boulder. Now, I also heard rumors of the flood walls coming down, now that would be da bomb!

Also Henderson seems like a nice clean city with the riverfront and all........Wondering what the employment situation is like out there.....anyone know? Also, anything u can tell me about living in the area! Is it easy to meet people, and fit in? I guess I am wondering how many transplants are there.....from different locales. Anyhow any info would be wonderful including good info on neighborhoods.

Guess I wouldn't rule out Owensboro, I Absolutely love Louisville but a little too big for me!!! LOL

Thanks
I would realy look at census data from American factinder. Just google it. You can look at areas with the highest income, percentage of college graduates, and even the areas with oldest homes, all on high yield maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2007, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Flor-i-DUH!!
20 posts, read 78,136 times
Reputation: 11
since you've seen Padducah, does it have that cool, move-style historic look or desperate, gunslinger, tumbleweeds, flat fascaded with hitching posts style? When you say the business buildings are going cheap, what's cheap?
I'm looking at a home in Fulton and apparently, Padducah is the next closest town. I'm from Florida and, if all goes well, will be investigating this in person with a week or so, but I'm oh so curious about that area,

Any interesting info would be cool. Also, any pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Far Western KY
1,833 posts, read 5,877,152 times
Reputation: 848
I don't think there going to take the flood wall down, 2 reasons ... one; it's keeps floods out, two; too much money spent painting murals on it. So taking the flood wall down wouldn't be "da bomb" it'd be "da flood"

Paducah has many "movie style" looking old building and a thriving down town area.
Paducah Artist Relocation Program (http://paducaharts.com/ - broken link)

http://www.paducah-tourism.org/

I'd tell ya more but I do have to work sometimes ... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM
 
393 posts, read 1,743,249 times
Reputation: 149
Not to be controversial or anything, but the reason I mentioned that was because when I was there in March I read an article in the ArtistRelocation newspaper that they were talking about the expense of the flood wall murals vs removing the wall altogether. When I visited the "visitors bureau" there in Paducah I asked them about this, and they said that very likely the walls will be coming done to the fact that is had been such a long time since the flooding and that the river was receding.....!!! But, it was still in the "deciding" stages.

But, u live there and so you would know, just thought I would tell you what I was told.

Anyhow, what is it like living in that area? Is employment good? can I pick up a small fixer upper under 80,000 or so that isn't in a slum? I fell in love with the river frontage all along the paducah/henderson/owensboro area. . Are there alot of people moving in there from different areas?

I am trying to compare those few for now and getting a feel for them. I sure would like to be able to walk down to the river whenever I feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Far Western KY
1,833 posts, read 5,877,152 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Not to be controversial or anything, but the reason I mentioned that was because when I was there in March I read an article in the ArtistRelocation newspaper that they were talking about the expense of the flood wall murals vs removing the wall altogether. When I visited the "visitors bureau" there in Paducah I asked them about this, and they said that very likely the walls will be coming done to the fact that is had been such a long time since the flooding and that the river was receding.....!!! But, it was still in the "deciding" stages.

But, u live there and so you would know, just thought I would tell you what I was told.

Anyhow, what is it like living in that area? Is employment good? can I pick up a small fixer upper under 80,000 or so that isn't in a slum? I fell in love with the river frontage all along the paducah/henderson/owensboro area. . Are there alot of people moving in there from different areas?

I am trying to compare those few for now and getting a feel for them. I sure would like to be able to walk down to the river whenever I feel like it.
I agree it would be much prettier if the wall was gone, but it's been hotly debated here for a while, it's on the back burner now to the the circus surrounding the Executive Inn and some guy from India that bought in isn't holding up his in of the deal. It's on the verge of killing the quilt show contract here which brings millions into the area every year.

As far as the wall goes I think if they could remove it and preserve the murals at the same time would be idea, it would cost more trying to move huge slabs of concrete but it could be done. It hasn't flooded in a while, but you know as soon as you remove the wall, it will. Paducah is lower than Henderson (were I grew up) and Owensboro. Not to mention far more water is dumped into it at this end than up river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 PM
 
393 posts, read 1,743,249 times
Reputation: 149
U got that right, what a sight that would be for Paducah, but I agree once the walls come down they could be running into a Katrina situation so it is probably best they don't.

I am in love with the looks of the downtown, and its character but those walls keeping the eyes away from the water, sure doesn't help. I am so torn, wish I could have the riverfront that Henderson, and Owensboro has with the downtown of Paducah......That would make for interesting....Amen? LOL

anyhow since u were raised in Henderson and Owensboro, is there anything u can tell me about them? I like Owensboro for the downtown/riverfront feel, but not so much the character and lay out of the city. Henderson has the nice riverfront, but not much a downtown......but has a pretty nice layout and I didn't see a whole of "slummy areas" where buildings were just standing empty.....

Can u tell I am horribly confused? Also what is that area like for weather, I am trying to escape humidity in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Far Western KY
1,833 posts, read 5,877,152 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
U got that right, what a sight that would be for Paducah, but I agree once the walls come down they could be running into a Katrina situation so it is probably best they don't.

I am in love with the looks of the downtown, and its character but those walls keeping the eyes away from the water, sure doesn't help. I am so torn, wish I could have the riverfront that Henderson, and Owensboro has with the downtown of Paducah......That would make for interesting....Amen? LOL

anyhow since u were raised in Henderson and Owensboro, is there anything u can tell me about them? I like Owensboro for the downtown/riverfront feel, but not so much the character and lay out of the city. Henderson has the nice riverfront, but not much a downtown......but has a pretty nice layout and I didn't see a whole of "slummy areas" where buildings were just standing empty.....

Can u tell I am horribly confused? Also what is that area like for weather, I am trying to escape humidity in NC.
KY is a bad choice to escape humidity, it was 95 degrees here today and the humidity was 87% so it felt like it was 110 or so and it was just sticky. Typical around here.

I grew up in Henderson, didn't spend a lot of time in O'boro but what time I did spend they it was laid out a little odd. I moved away from Henderson in 1981, came back in 1986 for a year and was gone again. I Dad still lives there. I think Henderson is a nice town I still know tons of people there. I don't really get back there enough to be a good source of information. There are slummy areas of Henderson down around Dixon St and up around 3rd and out to the old depot (which I think they moved so that won't do you any good for location) I'm in Paducah all the time, even though I don't live in the city .. few do.
Paducah has a lot going on, it could have a lot more and efforts are being made to capitalize on the area and the community. Paducah like any town has it quirk and problems, but out of the 3 I think Paducah is the better choice. Albeit I'll always have a soft spot for Henderson.


What part of NC are you in I use to live in Jacksonville NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
 
7 posts, read 15,028 times
Reputation: 10
Default The Valley

I do not know much about Paducah, but I do live in the Ohio River valley. I moved here in 98. One thing I wish I had known was the absolute misery someone with allergies can be in when they live in the Valley. What comes down (pollution, pollen, etc.) stays down. I have had several sinus infections since relocating. I never had one before 98! My family is looking to move to higher ground!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
323 posts, read 990,492 times
Reputation: 179
Hate to tell ya, Shana, but allergies are bad in this entire REGION of the U.S. I think Kentucky was rated one of the worst states for allergies, so it's not just in the "valley region", it's in Central, Northern, Eastern and Western, KY. Hopefully they won't be "as bad" for you if yall move, but you won't be able to escape them altogether and stay in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top