U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,081 times

Advertisements

G'day,

I can't really find anything to answer all of my questions, so please, I'd like some help if you can

We'll be moving from Australia, my husband is from PA, and I spent 5 years in different states in the USA so it won't be a complete shock lol Our kids are 16f, 5f and 1m.

I have a very tall order, I'm looking for somewhere out of flood, away from tornados, DIRT cheap houses with decent schools. Is there such a place? We've renovated home after home here, so a fixer upper is fine, not keen on trailers though.

I have many other questions, but will leave it at that for now.

Thanks and kind regards,

Nichole
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 AM

407 posts, read 1,146,510 times
Anywhere you live in the US has the potential for a tornado, especially Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Kansas. Pick a state and you will find a weather issue or a natural disaster issue. You will have to define "dirt cheap" with a number you are willing to spend. Good and bad public shcools can be found in all parts of the the US. You child's school is only as good as the beliefs you instill in your child about the importance of education. Coming from a retired teacher......parental involvement is the key to the "good school." Everything you are asking for can be found in Kentucky and I will let someone else chime in about some of the best places.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the reply touch wood, I've never been involved in a natural disaster to date. I lived in Manhattan Kansas and almost died of fright hiding in a closet with my oldest daughter and our hamster in his cage when we had a warning but nothing happened. Nothing in Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Alaska or Hawaii either!

Where I do understand where you're coming from, I find that I don't agree with your statement that the school is only as good as the values we instill in our daughter regarding the importance of education. My oldest daughter was schooled in the US from the age of 6, to 11. She did very well until we got to PA, the school wasn't a good school AT ALL and it had absolutely nothing to do with us and what we instill in our child. They did nothing to protect my daughter, and as the odd one out, she was picked on physically in addition to psychologically. I don't want to get into what this did to her.

A lot of schools here certainly aren't something to brag about either, and I am more than sure there are more than a few good ones, we've just never been able to afford to live in an area that they are in. We can't afford half a million dollars to live in the cheaper housing in those areas, in a house made from asbestos fibro cement sheeting painted with lead lol

My house in PA was in New Castle, I purchased it online without looking because in my life, I had NEVER seen a house for $6,900 so I talked them down in price still, and drove up from KS. Then I found out it was between two crack houses across from a laundromat! It was a trip, but I fixed it up and sold it for considerably more after the neighbors had moved HAHAHA Is it possible to get anything for around 50K that isn't in slum or a trailer?

We'd just like to live somewhere friendly, and easy Thanks for letting me know that we have chosen the right state anyway! My husband thinks it's the prettiest state he's ever been to.

Kind Regards,

Nichole

Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM

Kids getting picked on or abused is a whole other story and I think you will find that less likely in Kentucky. When we first decided to retire to Kentucky, we looked at the Bardstown area. It is a nice friendly, quaint little town with some neat festivals and fabulous people. I don't think you will find a house for 50K but there are some really cute 3 bedroom, brick ranch homes for about 77K. The one we liked is on Purcell Street there and had 3 bedrooms, and a garage. Also had a pretty back yard. Go over to trulia.com Type in the zip code to Bardstown 40004 and plug in your max price range and see what comes up.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM

820 posts, read 2,673,349 times
I think beilart gave some wonderful advice. If you're wanting a house in the 50 thousand range, I would suspect you're going to have to go for a more rural area. You don't really mention what you're looking for outside of schools. Winchester, KY might be an option for you. It has some rural and older areas where you might be able to find a fixer upper. It also has a good school system and it's only about 20 minutes from a larger city - Lexington. You might also want to investigate Paris, KY.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 13,901,876 times
I'm still a walking ad for the western part of the state. Murray, Mayfield, Cadiz, but there are a lot of others too. You can get an idea of house prices online. Just go to realtor.com and put in the town you want to check on and then the price range. There are good schools in the area.
As far as those tornado warnings, you get used to them. Around here at times the tornado warning sirens will go off and people will still be going to the grocery or somewhere. I'm not saying everybody is like that, but you'll learn after a while that you don't have to run and hide at the first warning. Just keep a clear path to your safe area to get there quick if you need to.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM

I am from Oklahoma and we used to just sit and watch them go by if they were far enough away from our area. Now, getting one of those gusty 2 mile wide ones was a different story. Unless the wind literally picked up the garbage cans and tossed them down the street, it was business as usual at our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm still a walking ad for the western part of the state. Murray, Mayfield, Cadiz, but there are a lot of others too. You can get an idea of house prices online. Just go to realtor.com and put in the town you want to check on and then the price range. There are good schools in the area.
As far as those tornado warnings, you get used to them. Around here at times the tornado warning sirens will go off and people will still be going to the grocery or somewhere. I'm not saying everybody is like that, but you'll learn after a while that you don't have to run and hide at the first warning. Just keep a clear path to your safe area to get there quick if you need to.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the tips Have been looking for a dumpy old house on an acre around Fort Thomas, but there's nothing at the moment. Stopped looking around independence when I was told they have a 4 pet limit. Can't find any limit in Campbell County, though there could be one! Found an AWESOME place in Hebron, and the local elementary school looked ok, but it's close to the river and I can't find any flood info for the area, plus there's something that looks like a quarry nearby. Would hate to buy it and find out it was a sewage treatment plant! BAHAHAHAHA! Thanks again, I'm looking every day Nichole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or