U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
....Velvet Elvis, Velcro Pygmies, The Shysters......
The Shysters, exciting reggae band as I remember from decades ago,
used to see them at Lexington's Jefferson Davis Inn.

Would you please remind me who was in that group,
maybe what they're up to now if you happen to know?

Thinking their excellent drummer was son of Vince DiMartino?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 AM

891 posts, read 2,757,274 times
Sorry but I don't recall the band members. I used to see them at JDI too. What a trip that place was! Tiny but always fun.
I haven't heard anything about them in years, if not decades!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,639 times
Thanks for responding to my question, lexingtongal!

It could be a coincidence, but I gather from this tidbit
that came up in my search that the Shysters
was one of the ventures Rodney Hatfield has been part of,
like Hatfield Clan, Metropolitan Blues All Stars, most recently Tin Can Buddha
and now fairly well known as a painter calling himself "Art Snake".

Al Collinsworth MP3 Downloads + free music download on PayPlay
<snip>Al was a former member of ... "The Shysters"-Shysterama Records
(that included "Next of Kin" star Rod Hatfield)<snip>

side note:
I've never heard of this movie, but Rodney Hatfield is one of the actors
Next of Kin (1989) - Full cast and crew

FWIW Al Collinsworth is a KY native, he talks about playing in the Outcasts
from Ashland during the 60's
Kentucky | garage hangover

Last edited by davidwholt; 01-22-2009 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: delete info repeated in link

Old 01-25-2009, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,427 times
Default Nervous Melvin and the Mistakes

Write me at [email]ladonwatson@gmail.com[/email] for more information on bookings. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,329 times
Greetings:
I was one of the original JDI friends. Few even remember but, I intend to visit Lexington soon, perhaps find a horse or two. Another band frequently playing was, "Bill Dexter and the Motel Faces". Feel free to say hello sometime.
Bill

Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,329 times
Greetings:
I am an old friend of the JDI and certainly miss the ole' times. I greatly miss Lexington and visit whenever I can.

Feel free to say hello sometime.

Bill

Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,961,445 times
was one of the ventures Rodney Hatfield has been part of,
like Hatfield Clan, Metropolitan Blues All Stars, most recently Tin Can Buddha
and now fairly well known as a painter calling himself "Art Snake".

...wow, that was a blast from the past! I remember them from Lexington. They played at the old (corner of Woodland and Euclid) Lynaghs and at the upstairs part of High on Rose.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 AM

891 posts, read 2,757,274 times
I recently saw Thumper and the Plaid Rabbits at the Signature Club. Talk about a blast from the past! They were pretty good!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 AM

180 posts, read 306,500 times
Buster Brown was my favorite Louisville Band. Anyone remember them from back in the 80's?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwholt View Post
The Shysters, exciting reggae band as I remember from decades ago,
used to see them at Lexington's Jefferson Davis Inn.

Would you please remind me who was in that group,
maybe what they're up to now if you happen to know?

Thinking their excellent drummer was son of Vince DiMartino?
I remember The Shysters at JDI, one of the first bars where I regularly hung-out shortly after turning 21. This was definitely Summer of 1981, and still in college. A work buddy bought my first beer there, a St. Pauli Girl.
There's no way I could recall any of The Shysters' names. I just dug their big, upbeat, thumping sound, and became familiar with their set. Their bass player was a-thumpin' those heavy strings!
That small corner bar, Jefferson Davis Inn, was often packed on weekends, and there was an Asteroids video game in the hallway!
Ha!!
One of the things I recall is a unique trick the drummer would do. He had a box window fan going full-blast next to his drum kit, and at a specific point during a certain song, he would gradually place the tip of one drumstick into the turning blades. It would make a nice effect - when it worked right. Some nights he would screw it up, but this one night I recall he timed it perfectly and the small packed room cheered! I seem to recall him knocking it over on another occasion when he attempted it..
I owned a Kawasaki, and one Summer night after leaving JDI I was feelin' good and decided to cruise down the very well-lit Vine Street without my helmet on...mistake. This was years before the no-helmet law. A female cop pulled me over in that stretch by the bus depot. As I was attempting to convince her that my helmet lock was stuck in the locked position, a friend who had been following pulled over behind and got out to "help a buddy out." He was a much smoother-talker than I, and together we convinced her to allow him to give me a ride home. But am I gonna leave my cycle parked in front of the bus station? In the wee hours? No way. So we cruised around downtown for about 10 minutes, circled back around to my bike, checked to see if the coast was clear, and I quickly jumped on (helmet on this time), and launched away from there...grinnin' all the way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky