Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 AM

128 posts, read 613,107 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some information on advice about possibly moving to KY to teach. I already have a job teaching HS English and Spanish in Michigan, but need a change of scenery. Would Boone or neighboring counties be good places to live? I'm only 23 and I'd be moving with my boyfriend, who also would need to look for a job. Is the job market good overall?

I know my post seems a bit all over, but I am really looking for advice on where to move for someone my age, where the job market and schools are good. I'd like to teach in a thriving district and live in a nice area that isn't overly pricey to live in.

Basically, I'd just like outside input.

Thanks for your help!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,937 times
Default highliner

Northern Kentucky is an excellent, suburban area, with plenty of professional opportunities. If you enjoy city life, then you'll be especially thrilled with all that the northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area has to offer.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM

24 posts, read 123,388 times
Come to Lexington and teach our growing population how to speak English!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:03 PM

64 posts, read 307,602 times
Xray

Do you see Lexington having a large in-migration issue coming?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM

128 posts, read 613,107 times
Default thanks!

Thanks for your input! Do any of you happen to know specifically about good districts to teach? especially ones where housing in relativiely affordable?

or better yet? does anyone have contact that are teachers that might have some advice for me?

I'd really appreciate any additional help!

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 AM

190 posts, read 812,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post
Thanks for your input! Do any of you happen to know specifically about good districts to teach? especially ones where housing in relativiely affordable?

or better yet? does anyone have contact that are teachers that might have some advice for me?

Thanks!
Boy, I wish you were moving to my area! Seems like we have several schools that are short handed. (I substitute for Madison County Schools). I would recommmend visiting the Board of Education web sites for the counties you are considering. Look for areas that have several schools with high test scores.
My sister-in-law just graduated with her teaching degree 1 year ago. She went to work within 2 weeks. The market is here, and good teachers are always needed.
Welcome to KY!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 AM

190 posts, read 812,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRay View Post
Come to Lexington and teach our growing population how to speak English!

I realize that we do have a growing population of non-natives, but I believe your remark was misleading. I have taught language courses in the public middle and high schools, and find the classes to be very small (usually 10 or less students) with kids that are working much harder than the other kids. These classes also tend to be a mix of languages, from Spanish to German, Japanese to Russian. These kids are going to have a one-up on most of us as they are bilingual, as are most of the incoming immigrants! I just say-patience, patience, patience. Just because they have problems with the language when they first arrive does not mean that they will never learn English. And whose to say that anyone should be forced to give up their native tongue? It is to ponder...........

Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post

Thanks!
Hi! I think N.Ky would be a great spot for a teacher - you have many options. Actually, the entire state as far as I can tell is a wide open market right now.

I have enclosed a link which takes you straight to the Kentucky publics school system. I have had much luck in the past - a member here was looking to move from Canada to Ky and a 'real person' at the site answered my email and told then exactly what they needed to do.

Immigartion an upcoming issue? I truly believe it is an issue over the entire United States. Everyone has there own opinions - good, bad, indifferent, but looking from the positive side, these kids in school are going to be the future of our state, just like natural born kids are - and we need excellent teachers to get them where they need to be.

I, for one, welcome you with open arms and wish you good luck. I think you'll find the move - and all involved - very rewarding.

Kimmiey

http://www.kde.state.ky.us/KDE/

Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 AM

24 posts, read 123,388 times
I hope that people will understand that my statement about immigrants was just a bit of good-natured sarcasm. The Mexican people who have been settling in Lexington are usually so quiet and passive that you don't even notice them most of the time. They tend to blend in quite well. Mexicans are interesting and hard-working people that all of us lazy, spoiled, hedonistic, overweight, self-righteous Americans can learn from! I welcome them here...legally that is.

I do have the same issues with illegal immigration that everyone else does, but it's the fault of the Mexican and United States Governments. They have the power to rectify the situation, I do not. It's not worth wasting energy worrying or arguing about.

The reason I said that is that I work in a hospital on the late shift, and we always have patients that come in to the ER who can't speak, or worse, understand English. As an Xray tech, I have to ask if women are pregnant, where people are injured, give them clear instructions so that I get good diagnostic-quality images, etc., so it's very frustrating for me that I can't communicate with these people. They are very cooperative, meaning that they place their trust in me and the others taking care of them. I've learned enough Spanish to get by but it's really not enough. I wish I could speak it fluently but then again, they moved up here so it's up to them to assimilate. We need teachers who can help them make the most of the American Dream.
I didn't intend to offend anyone.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 25,020 times
Northern KY is a wonderful area to live. Prices for housing/rentals are not too high, and its a safe and welcoming atmosphere. I particularly like Kenton county, and the schools in that area are fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky