U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 AM

39 posts, read 139,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We are retiring to KY next year and in May of this year I spent about an hour in Artisan Park. First, I did not like the entrance to the subdivision - to go in and out of the development, you have to pass an industrial strip mall that is not particularly attractive - and it is not very close to anything..not much development if any in the area - at least not close enough for us. The houses are fairly close together and I didn't like the way many of the houses were situated on their lots - steeply graded. I wasn't thrilled by most of the floor plans - Norton Commons is much nicer (the houses are beautifully arranged inside and out, but then it is more expensive as well). This is just my opinion - but we found that Artisan Park was not for us.

Yes Artisan Park is around our small indutrial park, I agree with you that was not the best way to go. I am not sure how you got to and from the development or if you even visited the city of LaGrange but it is not far at all from Artisan park, I'd say about 2 miles down the road. Their is also indeed a great deal of development in the area, I live less than a mile from Artisan Park and I can say there are several developments nearby. Commercial wise LaGrange has a WalMart, Kroger, Movie Theater, Historical Shopping district, Restraunts, etc.. So there is quite a bit around to do. Maybe you missed all of that when you visited last, I would suggest asking your Realtor if they would mind showing you around the city next time you come for a visit so you can see what Oldham county has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 AM

39 posts, read 139,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
In addition, if I am not mistaken, Jordan River is planning a lifestlye and power center development (similar to Louisville's Summit) in the Buckner vicinity. Do any Oldham folks know anything about this?
You know I have not heard anything about that so far, but I have seen you mention this before in another post with a website to check out. Do you still have that website handy? This is so interesting to me as Oldham County could really use something like this.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,958,968 times
I have visited and stayed in La Grange a number of times - although charming, it just doesn't offer the kinds of services or quality of services we are used to. The Kroger there is one of the worst in the area - even our friends who live in La Grange don't shop there - they go to the one in Prospect....other than the charming little historic area, La Grange is fairly unattractive and really doesn't offer much for us... not our cup of tea.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM

26 posts, read 120,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I have visited and stayed in La Grange a number of times - although charming, it just doesn't offer the kinds of services or quality of services we are used to. The Kroger there is one of the worst in the area - even our friends who live in La Grange don't shop there - they go to the one in Prospect....other than the charming little historic area, La Grange is fairly unattractive and really doesn't offer much for us... not our cup of tea.
We're probably going to end up in Buckner and everyone says that LaGrange is where we'll go for shopping, dining, etc. Although we didn't spend any time there, I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed with LaGrange either when we drove through. Not having a decent grocery store nearby is not a good thing...UGH! I guess I should thank you for the warning.

I'm worried enough about this move and when I hear things like this, it makes me even more unsure and unhappy about our eventual move to the area.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,318,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
I'm worried enough about this move and when I hear things like this, it makes me even more unsure and unhappy about our eventual move to the area.
Every place has it's good and bad - I really would not let this worry you too much. It's just a short hop to eastern Jefferson County where you can get everything.

Personally, I like eastern Jefferson County just outside of Middletown better. You still get a rural feel with a ton of conveniences close by.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,757,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
We're probably going to end up in Buckner and everyone says that LaGrange is where we'll go for shopping, dining, etc. Although we didn't spend any time there, I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed with LaGrange either when we drove through. Not having a decent grocery store nearby is not a good thing...UGH! I guess I should thank you for the warning.

I am not sure what these comments are about La Grange not having a decent grocery??? There is a nearly new Super Kroger and Walmart Supercenter right in town. Thier groceries look exactly the same as the rest of the suburban Krogers and Walmarts, and are nicer than some of the older ones like the Walmart on Hurstbourne. You will have to come into the city for Whole Foods and other specialty grocers, but considering that is the ONLY Whole Foods in ALL of KY and IN, that is not saying much (as a disclaimer, I despise Kroger and especially Walmart, but then again, I live downtown at shop at local specialty grocers like ValuMarket and Market on Market).

Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM

69 posts, read 295,741 times
If you don't seem to like the LaGrange/Buckner area, why not move to Prospect-Oldham county side & be closer to what you want & still be in Oldham county?? Might be more appealing to you.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,958,968 times
Every grocery store within a chain is managed by a different individual - just because stores have the same name does not mean that the stores are equal in cleanliness, organization, customer service or product. The Kroger in La Grange is managed poorly and does not offer many of the specialty foods found in some of their other stores. We know at least a half dozen La Grange families that won't shop at the La Grange store. Having visited a number of Krogers in the area, I have to agree - the La Grange store is not their best...and the Walmart there is of about the same caliber - not the greatest.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-02-2007 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
ok im even more confused. i need to if this lottery system even exists? i am trying to find a home in prospect, ky where i can have access to a good public school. now having said that, how do i decide between jefferson and oldham? plus, where does it end, can i be in the school district as my child moves up in grades, or does he end up somewhere far for the second level and have to be on a bus for half hour or more.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,805,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post
ok im even more confused. i need to if this lottery system even exists? i am trying to find a home in prospect, ky where i can have access to a good public school. now having said that, how do i decide between jefferson and oldham? plus, where does it end, can i be in the school district as my child moves up in grades, or does he end up somewhere far for the second level and have to be on a bus for half hour or more.
The odds of you getting a good school for your children, if you live on the Jefferson County side of the line is reasonable. If you live on the Oldham County side, they are perfect. You will get your child/children into one of Kentucky's 10 best schools (elem/middle/high) if in Oldham County.

Oldham County has announced that it is closing what has been a perinnial top five in the state school at the end of the 2013-14 school year. Liberty Elementary is an old worn out building and a new elementary school is being built between Prospect and I-71 exit 14 near the community of Brownsboro to replace Liberty. This will likely mean some redistricting of the area's served by nationally ranked "Goshen Elementary at Hillcrest" and "Harmony Elementary located on the same campus as North Oldham's nationally recognized middle and high schools. Longest bus ride in Oldham County about 35 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or