U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 20,146 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire to a lake community in the near future, and I've been looking at various lake lots online. I am interested in Herrington Lake because of its proximity to Lexington, and the Pete Dye golf course. Does anyone have info about living in this area, and the town of Danville? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:24 PM

528 posts, read 2,230,431 times
welcome to the forum....if you do a search on Danville, I think you will find lots of (favorable) posts with much information. You can also take a look at kyhometown.com which has a number of photos of the town.
Also, Enjoy the Sights and Sounds of Danville & Perryville, Kentucky has lots of info on the town and surrounding area...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,316,848 times
Herrington Lake is beautiful! A nice rural area that's not too far from Lexington and even Louisville.

Here are some real estate listings just to give you an idea:
Kentucky > Herrington Lake lake real estate, lake property, lake home, for sale, properties, homes, lakefront, waterfront

See also:

Historic Harrodsburg / Attractions (broken link)

Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 AM

190 posts, read 746,987 times
Default Lake Herrington

We have enjoyed the area for many years. My family used to hold it's reunions on Gwynn Island, when I was small. There is a wonderful boat ramp/dock there, small store, etc. The bass fishing is strong, as is the bluegill fishing. Many parts of the lake are open enough to ski, tube, and pleasure ride on larger boats.
Danville is a great small town, very historical. If you enjoy antiquing, a quiet, layed back life, and small town living, this would be a wonderful place to retire.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:53 AM

55 posts, read 321,108 times
Hey. My family has had a lake home at Herrignton for many many years. It is a slow, quiet area, with many friendly people. Danville is GREAT. I attended college there. It is a classy, cultural town but with a rural feel.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 PM

216 posts, read 1,090,869 times
Default Beautiful Herrington Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrown40 View Post
My husband and I are looking to retire to a lake community in the near future, and I've been looking at various lake lots online. I am interested in Herrington Lake because of its proximity to Lexington, and the Pete Dye golf course. Does anyone have info about living in this area, and the town of Danville? Thanks so much!
We own property on Herrington Lake and are looking forward to building a cabin on it one day. Herrington Lake is a narrow "river" kind of lake, with steep embankments and plenty of trees. While we have never fished in it, many people do. Last year we took a pontoon from one end of the lake to the other and it took us several hours. The only drawback was that in some areas there was some trash. I do know though that several people and environmental groups are working hard to clean it up. People are seeing what a treasure the lake is for the community.

Danville is a gorgeous little town with very friendly people. I personally think that real estate in that area will go up greatly in the next ten years as people discover its' special quality.

And you are right, the Herrington Lake area is within close driving distance of so many wonderful cities. What a great place to retire for those who want relaxation and a little excitement too!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 PM

389 posts, read 1,503,666 times
Danviile is a good rural type town.just look at Montgomery Gentry video "this is my town 'for some scenes of Danville.Danville also has a great movie place and a super K.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 14,769 times
Default Herrington Lake

I have 9 lake front lots listed on Herrington Lake. As I continue to spend more and more time around Herrington I find that it is a great tight nit community with lots of wonderful perks. You are welcome to contact me if you have any questions.

Craig Mosqueda
859-333-5131

Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 AM

8 posts, read 32,130 times
Looking to relocate to Herrington Lake. I will be working at either Richmond or Lexington and it appears as if Herrington Lake is an equal distance from both. Are there any areas of the lake that are undesireable? I would like to buy lake front property and haven't decided on whether to build or buy an exsisting house. Are there any building codes or Housing authority that regulate types of structures that can or cannot be built. I dont want to build a house and a month later have a mobile home move in beside me! Nothing against Mobile homes, just don't want to build beside them. The area seems great and I am very exicited to see more of it. Is Danville less or more expensive then Harrodsburg? Does Lancaster extend to the lake area?

thanks Ryan

Old 04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenger View Post
Looking to relocate to Herrington Lake. I will be working at either Richmond or Lexington and it appears as if Herrington Lake is an equal distance from both. Are there any areas of the lake that are undesireable? I would like to buy lake front property and haven't decided on whether to build or buy an exsisting house. Are there any building codes or Housing authority that regulate types of structures that can or cannot be built. I dont want to build a house and a month later have a mobile home move in beside me! Nothing against Mobile homes, just don't want to build beside them. The area seems great and I am very exicited to see more of it. Is Danville less or more expensive then Harrodsburg? Does Lancaster extend to the lake area?

thanks Ryan
Lake Herrington is in a very nice rural area. There are tons of new 'rural subdivisions' on the Garrard County side of LH in the communties of Buena Vista (just e of LH on KY 152) and Bryantsville (a sprawling area of new houses along US 27 north of KY 34). There are some lake front houses both near the KY 152 bridge and also the old KY 34 bridge.

Keep in mind that the roads from there to Richmond are much worse than the roads to Lexington. If you get a job in Richmond I recommend looking in the Wilgreen Lake or Lake Reba areas just outside of Richmond. As for the lake itself, it is quite unique for this part of the US in that it is very deep (200+ feet) and quite narrow and curvey. It offers some excellent hybrid striped bass fishing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky