U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,518,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
A PhD candidate, I see
Nope. Not a PhD candidate. Just a measly Bachelor's Degree. I'm not even a scientist. And I may not know much. But I know that attempting to explain science with religion is just silly. And I've known enough fundie Christians in my life to know that arguing with them is futile.

I am a person of great faith. I have a very strong faith in God. But I also have the ability to think critically. Thankfully, science and religion don't contradict each other in my mind. I can believe in God without believing that Fred Flinstone and Dino existed at the same time. And I can believe in God without believing that He created the earth in seven days, a mere 6,000 years ago. I have no problem reconciling my belief in an Almighty God with evolution. And thankfully, I can believe in God while at the same time understanding that the Bible was never meant to be a science textbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM

845 posts, read 1,181,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
science and religion don't contradict each other in my mind
I never said they did. After all, science can only show us what God created. People who think Science is God (or proves that God doesn't exist) are not comprehending the bigger picture.

Last edited by Wing Feathers; 10-20-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM

15,635 posts, read 17,838,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
A link is not necessary; Most Kentuckians should know about the Creation Museum.
If you have been there, what were your impressions and experiences? Did it solidify your faith? Do you feel more informed about life's origins?
Were you glad you went and would you recommend others to visit?
I heard they were opening The Earth Is Flat Museum next.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 978,519 times
Quote:
People ... are not comprehending the bigger picture.
The bigger picture is, what?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,518,869 times
Quote:
After all, science can only show us what God created..
*sigh. No. No it can't. Science cannot show that God created anything. That is a faith based belief. Not a fact. It's not testable. It is not based on observation. It is not science.

It may very well be true that God created the universe. I certainly believe in a divine intervention. But it doesn't even matter if it's true. It might be 100% true that aliens inhabit a nearby planet. But until we have real, observable, tested, reproducible data, it's not science.

Faith and Science are two totally different things. They ask completely different questions. Science might ask "What is the definition of life...What chemical reactions are necessary for an organism to live on this planet?". Religion might ask "What is the purpose of life?...Why are we here?".

Neither discipline is any less valuable. But to try to combine them is silly.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,615,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard they were opening The Earth Is Flat Museum next.
Yes! They are building right next to The Sun Revolves Around the Earth Museum!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM

1,722 posts, read 978,519 times
^
Just down the street from the Tooth Fairy Museum.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 AM

23,444 posts, read 16,072,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
^
Just down the street from the Tooth Fairy Museum.
I hear the Easter Bunny Exhibit is across the street.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,149,479 times
I'd love to see the Easter Bunny, Jesus, Tooth Fairy &, um, maybe the Great Pumpkin (since its Halloween & all) in an all out battle royal cage match, all unleashing their own "super powers" on each other. I'd pay good money to see that.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM

845 posts, read 1,181,232 times
You do realize that you're making fools of yourselves, right? Hitler would be proud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky