U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,752 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just did a whirlwind tour of Louisville last week and were happy but still confused. We have one small child and hope to have another, so we will be using the schools. Does anyone have any feedback on why we would move to one county over an other? We are afraid that if we move to Jefferson County and don't have enough money to send our child (ren) to private schools, he will not get the best education and we don't want to have to bus him for a long distance. However, we did see some very nice properties in the east side. We also liked Oldham and are comforted with the fact that our child would go to great schools, but we are unsure if the resale in that area is as high as Jefferson county. Of course, the whole Supreme Court decision certainly throws another unknown into the decision. Jefferson County schools are very confusing to an "outsider".

Thank you for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,746,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekatie View Post
Hello,

We just did a whirlwind tour of Louisville last week and were happy but still confused. We have one small child and hope to have another, so we will be using the schools. Does anyone have any feedback on why we would move to one county over an other? We are afraid that if we move to Jefferson County and don't have enough money to send our child (ren) to private schools, he will not get the best education and we don't want to have to bus him for a long distance. However, we did see some very nice properties in the east side. We also liked Oldham and are comforted with the fact that our child would go to great schools, but we are unsure if the resale in that area is as high as Jefferson county. Of course, the whole Supreme Court decision certainly throws another unknown into the decision. Jefferson County schools are very confusing to an "outsider".

Thank you for your feedback.
I really would not worry about schools. Find an area you want to live, and you will get your child into a good public school. Don't let all the hype scare you away from Jefferson County, because it is the core county for the metro and has some excellent schools, including 3 nationall ranked high schools ranked well above any others in the state (although Oldham boasts two nationally ranked high schools as well).

Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM

69 posts, read 295,651 times
If you're concerned about the unknown (especially a brand new superintendent in Jefferson County that came from a very small, non-diverse school district), then stick w/Oldham county schools. Then none of what you hear will be of concern!

Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,799,791 times
Historically, Oldham County properties have outpaced Jefferson County resale values. Now, that's a very broad statement due to the complexity of the hundreds of Jefferson County communities, but house for house, OC has been better.

Having put three children through school, two boys through Louisville Catholic and my daughter through JCPS, here's my view. If I live in Jefferson Co, my child will go private/parochial, while if I live in OC they would go public. It's simply a matter of parental education. Most OC homes have at least some college, and that alone gives children a head start. This is obviously not true in all cases, but worth noting.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,746,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Historically, Oldham County properties have outpaced Jefferson County resale values. Now, that's a very broad statement due to the complexity of the hundreds of Jefferson County communities, but house for house, OC has been better.

Having put three children through school, two boys through Louisville Catholic and my daughter through JCPS, here's my view. If I live in Jefferson Co, my child will go private/parochial, while if I live in OC they would go public. It's simply a matter of parental education. Most OC homes have at least some college, and that alone gives children a head start. This is obviously not true in all cases, but worth noting.

True, but there are several Louisville neighborhoods with greater than 50% college graduates. Areas like the Highlands, Crescent Hill and St Matthews approach 60-70%. Almost all of east Jefferson Co is high income and well educated, even more so than Oldham. Really the fact of the matter is if you do not want your children to attend school with minorities, keep them in Oldham or private schools that price minorities out. Sadly, I think this is the underlying theme here, and I am just calling it as I see it. Sorry to be blunt.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
True, but there are several Louisville neighborhoods with greater than 50% college graduates. Areas like the Highlands, Crescent Hill and St Matthews approach 60-70%. Almost all of east Jefferson Co is high income and well educated, even more so than Oldham. Really the fact of the matter is if you do not want your children to attend school with minorities, keep them in Oldham or private schools that price minorities out. Sadly, I think this is the underlying theme here, and I am just calling it as I see it. Sorry to be blunt.

STS, usually you are spot on with your posts, but I have to take issue with this one. First, I'm a Oldham County native and product of the OC school system, so forgive my bias. Second, one reason why Oldham county experienced a population explosion in the late 70's to now is the misguided idea of forced integration (busing) taken by the JCPS. Parents who work hard and are successful are not crazy about the possibilty of having their children bused to struggling schools, which to be blunt, are mostly located in the west end. Thankfully the US Supreme Court has ruled against any idea of renewing a forced integration plan by JCPS. I did see, however, that JCPS may consider income as a reason for busing. For what its worth, if I were to move back to Louisville..I would consider the exurbs (Shelby co, Oldham co).

Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,758 times
Default Oldham County vs Jefferson County

I have been a resident of Oldham County the majority of my life. I am a graduate of Oldham County Schools and I have a Bachelor's Degree. I chose to start my children off in another school system then moved back to Oldham County during their elementary school years for a better education. They have since graduated as well as four nieces from Oldham County Schools, all are attending college. I have to say that in my opinion Oldham County schools aren't what they used to be. Yes, they are nationally ranked but so are some in Jefferson County. My advice is pick a house or property you like in the county you like. Oldham County schools probably have as much diversity in race, ethics, cultural and income as Jefferson County schools. Housing/property values in Oldham County have always been at the top and will continue to be so you don't have to worry about declining value. Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM

I sent a daughter to JC Public Schools and two stepsons to parocial schools. I have said publically in part for what I know from that experience, that if I live in JC my kids would go private/parochical while in Oldham they would not.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 PM

20 posts, read 74,161 times
We moved to La Grange in December of 2005. I've found the Oldham County Schools to be very comparable to the school system in Michigan we left.

Oldham County Schools Web

Old 07-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Ok folks, there is US News, there is Fox News, and so on and so forth. I suggest that the official records of the Kentucky Department of Education should be the data of choice; therefore, I will say no more except to give everyone the Kentucky Dept of Ed. School Report Card web-site: Kentucky Department of Education - School Report Card
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky