U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:21 PM

24 posts, read 65,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The only statistics I came up with show that Shelbyville has 72% white, non hispanic residents with 9.5% hispanic.

Lokdchick - I hear what you are saying and understand completely. You don't need to apologize or explain yourself. I think we all want to live where we feel safe and where we have things in common with the people around us. There is nothing wrong with that.

I live in Long Beach, CA and we are retiring to the Louisville area next year. I've been to Shelbyville about 5 times and thought it was an interesting town with some nice residential areas...the downtown area has some run down areas and quite a bit of traffic but most towns that size and age do.

I will tell you this though - if my husband were going to work in Louisville (long commute for him) and I had small children, I would not pick Shelbyville - I'd choose Prospect or Crestwood or one of the many nice, safe residential neighborhoods that are all around Oldham or Jefferson County....not sure why you are choosing Shelbyville - please look at the crime statistics for Shelbyville too - not that great.
I lived in Long Beach about 8 months in 1996-97 when I was in the Navy. It was a lot of fun when I was young and wild. lol I think it was the height of the blood and crypts feuds. Crazy times!

My husband doesn't mind the commute, he really wanted to be out in the country. We looked at various places and couldn't find the amount of land that we wanted with a big enough house.We found it in Simpsonville/Shelbyville. The house is perfect and so are the 20 acres it's on. There's not a lot out there for renters. The only house that I could find in Prospect was around $3500 a month. That's a bit too much for what was offered. Buying is just out of the question with the market the way it is and us never really knowing how long we will be stationed somewhere.

We mostly keep to ourselves. As far as crime goes, well, we are both experienced sharpshooters (both military)and have a natural love for guns. The house has a security system and I will volunteer at the school when the kids start.

The crime rate is nothing compared to the other places we have lived. Heck, we have over 400 registered child molestors within a couple of miles from us here. ONe is just on the opposite side of the block. Shelbyville has no where near that amount.

Also, since we are just renting-if it is horrible, we can always just give 30 days notice and be gone. lol

Thanks for your reply and I will defintely check out the crime statistics a little more closely. No matter how bad it is, it can't be as bad as where we are right now....I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokdchick View Post
I lived in Long Beach about 8 months in 1996-97 when I was in the Navy. It was a lot of fun when I was young and wild. lol I think it was the height of the blood and crypts feuds. Crazy times!

My husband doesn't mind the commute, he really wanted to be out in the country. We looked at various places and couldn't find the amount of land that we wanted with a big enough house.We found it in Simpsonville/Shelbyville. The house is perfect and so are the 20 acres it's on. There's not a lot out there for renters. The only house that I could find in Prospect was around $3500 a month. That's a bit too much for what was offered. Buying is just out of the question with the market the way it is and us never really knowing how long we will be stationed somewhere.

We mostly keep to ourselves. As far as crime goes, well, we are both experienced sharpshooters (both military)and have a natural love for guns. The house has a security system and I will volunteer at the school when the kids start.

The crime rate is nothing compared to the other places we have lived. Heck, we have over 400 registered child molestors within a couple of miles from us here. ONe is just on the opposite side of the block. Shelbyville has no where near that amount.

Also, since we are just renting-if it is horrible, we can always just give 30 days notice and be gone. lol

Thanks for your reply and I will defintely check out the crime statistics a little more closely. No matter how bad it is, it can't be as bad as where we are right now....I hope.

I support you 100 percent in your effort to raise your children in a safe and peaceful environment. Furthermore, I also think you're correct about raising children in an English speaking community. It's a shame that you get blasted for stating your views by an elitist, multiculturalist who, it seems, gets off on leveling charges of racism. You see, it's ok when Mestizos form independence movements in the southwest and espouse anti white postitions. However, if our government tries to enforce it's immigration policy or if it encourages using the English language..it's racism by whites. It's a double standard, and I think our "Diversity" friend, deep down, realizes this. So, don't apologize for being blunt...good luck

Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvet View Post
OMG - Do you realize that by moving to Shelbyville, your "all white kids" could very likely grow up to marry a Mexican, listen to rap music, and learn to speak Spanish? The little rebellious teenagers just might even adapt "Spanglish" as their language of choice!

Still worse, out of the blue, they might become infected by that rap music and start talking Ebonics! Or (shudder) become a vegetarian.:eek:

God has ways of opening our stubborn hearts my young friend. From your words, it looks like yours will be an interesting journey.

I think you live in a dreamworld where black, white and brown live in harmony. Perhaps YOU need to open your eyes to the impact that illegal immigraton has had on the southwest and southern california. Sorry, your 1960's peacenik views are outdated. I'll check back soon to see if you label me as a racist. It's inevitable...when guys like you realize you're cornered, you start throwing out racist accusations.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 AM

6,553 posts, read 13,752,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokdchick View Post

Shelbyville and crime do not belong in the same sentence. Enough said there. You do not have to live outside the core city to find a nice, upscale area. Unfortunately Louisville is not the most racially diverse city, but I guess you will like that. Louisville does have a fast increasing international population, but the overall numbers are still relatively low.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Shelbyville and crime do not belong in the same sentence. Enough said there. You do not have to live outside the core city to find a nice, upscale area. Unfortunately Louisville is not the most racially diverse city, but I guess you will like that. Louisville does have a fast increasing international population, but the overall numbers are still relatively low.
Oh, we saw quite a few neighborhoods close to the city that looked very nice. It's just that, the houses were in communities. I think the most property I could find was only like 5 acres in some of the surrounding areas.
Our space and freedom has come to be a huge priority after living in such overly populated places as-San Diego, CA; really close to Los Angeles,CA; cities in Rhode Island; Norfolk, VA---Copperas Cove, TX.

We are just really tired of being able to reach out our window and touch the next door neighbors house. We needed to not have any rules that most developments have-no fifth wheel parking, no working on vehicles in the driveway, no dirt bike or 4-wheeler riding in the yard...all those things we do that most neighbors don't enjoy. lol

That's why we chose a farm in Shelbyville to rent. Now, 20 acres is not big by any means. However, it will be so much more than our kids are used to.

I think it should provide a nice balance. Living out in the "country". Close enough to the city for when we venture out for the nightlife.
After having spoken with quite a few people from Shelbyville, it really sounds like it will suit our needs for the next few years.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 AM

15 posts, read 42,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Thanks Old Vet, but ... she looks like a very angry person and nothing you say is going to make a dent. I spent over 20 years working in the Social Service trenches ... mental health, drug abuse, et al... dealing with all manner of personality disorders (as in: "Borderline PD" ... where EVERYBODY loses) to generational dysfunctional family patterns.

I like what you said about God. Even the "Great Thinkers" Alfred Adler Erich Fromm, and Karen Horney who laid the foundation for Transpersonal Psychology admitted that, "it’s all spiritual." I just hope I never have to live near her. I have several degrees and wore my country's colors in time of war too... but I like to get comfortable in my Ebonics whenever the God Lord says it's time to feel my authentic, shameless self, and just feel REAL good.

If I'd written and posted what she just did, the moderator would have been all over me. Probably banned me from posting. For sure she/they’d have pulled the message.

But I'm glad she didn't. It's real ... living near racist people like her who don't even KNOW they are hateful and racist and what they say is not only hurtful, but to continue Old Vet’s theme, it is one more "shovel" full of dirt in their spiritual graves. None of us ... NONE of us escapes Karma. EVERYTHING we say and do comes back on us. EVERYTHING. Look around ... harvest time is here ... and it looks like it's going to get worst.

I'm no fan of most gansta rap ... but there are actually some very positive music being made in that very creative art form. Mexicans? My God ... God loves all of us ... but I'm told that the thing He hates most is Pride.

The WALL? To keep them bad illegals out? Why are they here? NAFTA. It's raping them blind. But I see that they're bringing us gifts. Some are hard to swallow ... but the genie is out of the bottle. Can't put him back in. "It's all spiritual." Got to open up our hearts.

California? It used to be theirs. Damn. Karma. Just think how them and all those Indians felt ... California? It used to be my home … before all those unaccepting, “pure” people moved in with all that hatred. Now it’s me and a lot of people like me who are going to move next door. Seems like a fat lady’s girdle. Push it in one place, and it pops out another. Sure wish we’d grow up. But that brings us back to the spiritual … the theological and the … psychological….
I am so glad that someone finally spoke the truth about what it is like to live in a border State! We live in Arizona and as soon as our house sells we will be moving to Kentucky. It seems as though our State has become overrun by illegals, everyday they are busting drop houses. I would not mind if they choose to come here legally & at least try to learn our language & have some respect for our laws. It has become so bad in our school system that the teachers spend so much time trying to teach in two languages that our English speaking American children are the ones suffering. We live in a nice area & have lots of hispanics that tell us they will not teach their children English that they want them to learn it when they get into school. Go figure! They do not care that my child will suffer from it as long as their child becomes bilingual. Our prison system is overflowing with illegals, they do not care who is in their way when they do driveby's, it could be small children out playing & you better hope that you do not do anything to make them angry when you are driving because they will just shot you down. Try going to McDonald's or Wal-mart and the help being spanish speaking only, happened to me today the lady could not understand what I was asking her. That is ridiculous, this is America and we speak English. Anyway the list is very long when it comes to this subject, I just hope we start to stand up for our rights instead of catering to the needs of Illegals. I wish this lady & her family the best of luck in Shelbyville.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 PM

297 posts, read 939,018 times
Lockdchick-I understand completely. I feel the same way, and am anything but a racist. I came to So. Cal years ago, and was open minded to a fault, even married a chicana. After years of watching the "cultural revolution" happen here, and working in places like Santa Ana, I realized that lots of these folks dslike, disrespect, and discriminate against Americans, and want to replace our culture with theirs. Cultural diversity is a concept that we assume everyone believes in all around the world. They don't, but they are more than happy to take advantage of our generosity.
I am planning to move soon to WV, but might end up in KY. You're giving me ideas. Good luck

Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks to you all who gave me support,understanding and good luck.
The countdown is at 6 days for departure to Shelbyville. We have a 2400 mile drive across country in a caravan of 3 different vehichles.
I look forward to reporting back on this thread with my thoughts and opinions on Shelbyville.

Just one example I like already about the area-

The other day while calling up random people in the area, I called the number of the people that will be closest to us. He lives down the driveway, across the yard, over the main road from us. My message was something like this, " Hi, you don't know me but my name is ****, my family will be moving into the house which I think is close to you. I am looking for info on the area, utilities and the such. I would really appreciate it if you gave me a call back and we could talk about that stuff. Sorry to bother you but look forward to meeting you"

About 45 minutes later he called me back. We ended up chatting for quite some time, I know his life's story and he knows mine. I know all about his kids, wife (who died 7 years ago),he lives alone, dogs he has, military stuff, he was in the AF back in the Korean War, his son is in the AF....quite a bit for someone I haven't even met yet.The type of conversation that makes ya smile and warms the heart. Oh, how I have missed the friendliness of KY.

We ended the conversation with the look forward to meeting yous. I told him that I love to cook and would invite him over and he told me that he would definitely come over to eat my cooking.

I can't wait!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 PM

246 posts, read 960,632 times
Default highliner

I have always found Shelbyville to be a nice town, and I think you'll enjoy living there. However there are a lot of ' those kind of people ' in Kentucky- I'm one, for instance. If you were looking for a nice,goodhearted, rural town, well then, I'd say you've found it. If, however, you were looking for ' old Klan-tucky', then perhaps Drakesboro will suit you better. A word of warning though, I work with law enforcement, and if you came here intending to start racially based trouble, then you will quickly find yourself in plenty of it! All that unpleasant stuff aside, however, if you act decently here, then we will accept you quickly into our communities and hearts.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
I have always found Shelbyville to be a nice town, and I think you'll enjoy living there. However there are a lot of ' those kind of people ' in Kentucky- I'm one, for instance. If you were looking for a nice,goodhearted, rural town, well then, I'd say you've found it. If, however, you were looking for ' old Klan-tucky', then perhaps Drakesboro will suit you better. A word of warning though, I work with law enforcement, and if you came here intending to start racially based trouble, then you will quickly find yourself in plenty of it! All that unpleasant stuff aside, however, if you act decently here, then we will accept you quickly into our communities and hearts.

You'll have to be a bit more specific concerning which of "those kind of people" you are Illegal?

A bit more specific also on the racial tension aspect. Are you saying that... there are ,in fact, so many ILLEGALS there who dislike white people they will threaten my children or my family? That they basically run the town?

Also, you are in law enforement...state, local, something higher in the government?? Mabey you can answer a few questions about the area then...
1) How many deaths have been caused by ILLEGALs there in the town? Be it in automobile accidents (where they have no insurance or DL's)? Or by murders?
2) How many crimes DAILY are commited by ILLEGALS in Shelbyville?

Aw heck, I'll just call up the local sheriff right now and find this stuff out.

EDIT- darn time difference-seems the headquarters for the local PD is closed right now(it's after working hrs). I guess that really shows me the level of crime in Shelbyville.:laughing:
So, I called the State Police Post for Shelbyville- they are not on any alerts for illegal immigrant activity, the nice trooper I talked to said in all his time there (over a year at that post) he knows of no issues and I basically read him my post on here-he just laughed and said I'd have no issues there in Shelbyville.

Kinda makes this post useless now though huh?

I suppose I should have just been my normal sufficient self and made these calls beforehand. lmao

Thanks to everyone who has sent me emails! It's really nice to read that MANY other people out there feel the way I do about illegals. Esp those of you who live in "border" towns and see and live this stuff first hand on a daily basis.

The average US citizen really has no idea what it's like. I don't care what color of skin you have-where I am right now-well, let's just say that LEGAL US citizens are the minority. If you get into an accident with an illegal ( they don't have insurance or even DL's) the police here CAN NOT impound an illegal's vehicle (no matter the outcome of the accident-death or whatever). The impounding would place an undue hardship on the illegal and make them worse off than they are. Someone gets hits in an automobile by one, they get to leave the scene of the crime and nothing can be done to them. Meanwhile, you're at the funeral of whomever was killed.

I can't even order Papa John's pizza in English. We had to point to the menu items because the person taking the order couldn't speak English.

The 4th of July. Gunshots all over by a friend's apartment complex. He was watching out of his balcony-Hispanics were shooting off their pistols through the walls of the complex. The cops were called-they tried to tell the guys to drop the weapons-the only response they got from the guys shooting was," No habla, no habla"
They got dropped and cuffed really quickly, much to their surprise.

Ah, but the move back is so looked forward to-simple life (not even cable TV is out where we are moving)
Rural KY is still in my heart after all these years.

Last edited by lokdchick; 07-09-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or