U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 65,866 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move to Shelbyville in a couple of days. My husband just recently accepted a new job in Louisville. Could anyone tell me more about the area? I guess the home we will be renting in somewhat on the edge of Simpsonville and Shelbyville. I was born and raised in Corbin,KY then joined the Navy at the age of 18 and have been mostly in CA ever since. My husband is from Queens, New York. (this should be an interesting adjustment for him) He has been in the Navy for almost 19 yrs. He will, hopefully, retire while we are there.

We have 5 year old twins who will be starting kindergarten very shortly after we get settled in...anyone have experience with the schools in Shelbyville?
How's the climate in the winter? Any snow?

Does anyone know the demographics of the area very well? We are currently living in CA and the town is about 90% hispanic, 8% black and the rest are white folks. Put it this way-we HATE it here in our town in CA. I am hoping to hear that KY (Shelbyville) is still a nice English speaking state/city with very little ebonics happening also. I know, that sounds horrible, but if it offends you then we just won't be friends.

Feel free to PM me any info or we can email or chat on the phone.

We are also into the outdoors quite a bit. We all have dirt bikes and a couple of quads and we have a toyota rock crawler...we (husband and I) like to have a few beers, some bbq's and if that sounds good, then let me know.

I don't know anyone from the area. Louisville was always the big, scary city to me growing up. I'm sure that's changed since I have now been all over the world.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:35 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
Default KY bound

You remind me of all the reasons why I had to leave my home state of California.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
You remind me of all the reasons why I had to leave my home state of California.
Why's that? You couldn't speak Spanish? Listened to something other than rap or mariachi music? Like to eat lots of red meat? You enjoyed having many freedoms that CA doesn't offer?

You said that like it was a bad thing?

I keep reading my first post and it just doesn't convey what I want it to.

Let me clarify- I am really looking forward to being back in an English speaking community. Now, I don't care if you are pink,purple, or green with black polka dots---English is the language here and I want my kids to be able to communicate with other children. We are a basic white family. Well, my husband is Greek but mostly just plain old white people. We are in our 30's, only have military experience as far as work goes. SO, we have been around the word a couple times, met all tyes of people and learned who we want to be around.

We would love to meet all types of people, as long as you are civil, courteous and mindful of others.

I hope that paints a little better picture of us and what we are looking for and hoping to find in Shelbyville.

Anyway, I can't hide my excitement for this move. It's been many, many years since living in KY.
I am finally going back to my roots and "home"

Last edited by lokdchick; 07-02-2007 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,748,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokdchick View Post
We are getting ready to move to Shelbyville in a couple of days. My husband just recently accepted a new job in Louisville. Could anyone tell me more about the area? I guess the home we will be renting in somewhat on the edge of Simpsonville and Shelbyville. I was born and raised in Corbin,KY then joined the Navy at the age of 18 and have been mostly in CA ever since. My husband is from Queens, New York. (this should be an interesting adjustment for him) He has been in the Navy for almost 19 yrs. He will, hopefully, retire while we are there.

We have 5 year old twins who will be starting kindergarten very shortly after we get settled in...anyone have experience with the schools in Shelbyville?
How's the climate in the winter? Any snow?

Does anyone know the demographics of the area very well? We are currently living in CA and the town is about 90% hispanic, 8% black and the rest are white folks. Put it this way-we HATE it here in our town in CA. I am hoping to hear that KY (Shelbyville) is still a nice English speaking state/city with very little ebonics happening also. I know, that sounds horrible, but if it offends you then we just won't be friends.

Feel free to PM me any info or we can email or chat on the phone.

We are also into the outdoors quite a bit. We all have dirt bikes and a couple of quads and we have a toyota rock crawler...we (husband and I) like to have a few beers, some bbq's and if that sounds good, then let me know.

I don't know anyone from the area. Louisville was always the big, scary city to me growing up. I'm sure that's changed since I have now been all over the world.

Thanks for your time!
For KY, Shelbyville has a high Hispanic population, but nothing like CA. Much of the downtown Shelbyville area is Mexican shops and groceries. Of all the small towns in that region, it is the most Hispanic. Why don't you consider living in a closer in suburb or even the city?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
For KY, Shelbyville has a high Hispanic population, but nothing like CA. Much of the downtown Shelbyville area is Mexican shops and groceries. Of all the small towns in that region, it is the most Hispanic. Why don't you consider living in a closer in suburb or even the city?

I fell in love with a house there. It's big, has almost 20 acres of land and not in a development. We have been in overcrowded cities for way too long now.
We don't want to hear our neighbors at night or see them during the day.
We wanted the kids to be able to roam on their dirt bikes without breaking any community rules or regs. My husband likes to tinker in the garage on various projects that most close neighbors wouldn't enjoy hearing start up late at night. lol

I would venture to guess that the Hispanics there are not the same type as we have here in "Little Mexico". I could be wrong though.

When we first moved in here, I was warned to not put my all white kids in the school system because the Hispanic kids routinely stabbed white kids. This is kindergarten I am talking about. I'd bet they have a few more backers for their rights here than Shelbyville also. lol

Are the radio stations mostly in Spanish-if so, I guess it's time for XM or Sirius. lol Is everything in the area's K-mart in spanish and all from Mexico?

We just wanted to be away from the city and anything remotely suburbish with all the crazy rules and regs.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,016 times
Wink Step away from the shovel

OMG - Do you realize that by moving to Shelbyville, your "all white kids" could very likely grow up to marry a Mexican, listen to rap music, and learn to speak Spanish? The little rebellious teenagers just might even adapt "Spanglish" as their language of choice!

Still worse, out of the blue, they might become infected by that rap music and start talking Ebonics! Or (shudder) become a vegetarian.:eek:

God has ways of opening our stubborn hearts my young friend. From your words, it looks like yours will be an interesting journey.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvet View Post
OMG - Do you realize that by moving to Shelbyville, your "all white kids" could very likely grow up to marry a Mexican, listen to rap music, and learn to speak Spanish? They will not be growing up in Shelbyville.We will only be there for 2 1/2 to 3 years.There will be NO rap music in my house until the kids are old enough to want to listen to it themselves.If they want to, that's fine as long as it is not "kill whitey" "kill cops" ""raped my mother" " music.The little rebellious teenagers just might even adapt "Spanglish" as their language of choice!
Once again, we won't be there when they are teenagers.

Still worse, out of the blue, they might become infected by that rap music and start talking Ebonics! Or (shudder) become a vegetarian.:eek:
I am fine with them being vegetarians-I am fine with all vegetarians-as long as I am not looked down upon by them for enjoying a nice juicy steak on the grill.In CA (where we have been)sometimes, you'd think that the animals have more rights than humans.I will not apologize for being a meat-eating,law abiding,legal citizen of this country.

God has ways of opening our stubborn hearts my young friend. From your words, it looks like yours will be an interesting journey.
Well, I can say it works in reverse also, oldvet. Maybe having the illegal Mexicans running over the border holding friends at gun point for their truck and trailer is God's way of making me hate the illegals more. Maybe having friends' who had put up USA flags on their homes get robbed and the flag burned with the local mexican mafia tags left is his way of making me hate the ILLEGAL mexicans more. Oh, how I could go on and on...

Now let's talk about people (families)who come to this country LEGALLY-I am so fine with that, that I married one.Granted, he's Greek, not mexican. LMAO

Now, if they have gone though all the proper paperwork, pay their taxes,work an honest living---I'll make them a pie and take it to them.

Let's address ebonics-I'm sorry, but my kids will not say, "Hey mom, let me ax you a question. Can I have 50 cent? I need to chip in on a fo-dee"

They will know proper English and use it in MY home.

Once again, I don't care what color you are, as long as you have taken the time to learn the English language, when living in AMERICA-we will be good!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:33 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
Default Nice Try Old Vet

Thanks Old Vet, but ... she looks like a very angry person and nothing you say is going to make a dent. I spent over 20 years working in the Social Service trenches ... mental health, drug abuse, et al... dealing with all manner of personality disorders (as in: "Borderline PD" ... where EVERYBODY loses) to generational dysfunctional family patterns.

I like what you said about God. Even the "Great Thinkers" Alfred Adler Erich Fromm, and Karen Horney who laid the foundation for Transpersonal Psychology admitted that, "it’s all spiritual." I just hope I never have to live near her. I have several degrees and wore my country's colors in time of war too... but I like to get comfortable in my Ebonics whenever the God Lord says it's time to feel my authentic, shameless self, and just feel REAL good.

If I'd written and posted what she just did, the moderator would have been all over me. Probably banned me from posting. For sure she/they’d have pulled the message.

But I'm glad she didn't. It's real ... living near racist people like her who don't even KNOW they are hateful and racist and what they say is not only hurtful, but to continue Old Vet’s theme, it is one more "shovel" full of dirt in their spiritual graves. None of us ... NONE of us escapes Karma. EVERYTHING we say and do comes back on us. EVERYTHING. Look around ... harvest time is here ... and it looks like it's going to get worst.

I'm no fan of most gansta rap ... but there are actually some very positive music being made in that very creative art form. Mexicans? My God ... God loves all of us ... but I'm told that the thing He hates most is Pride.

The WALL? To keep them bad illegals out? Why are they here? NAFTA. It's raping them blind. But I see that they're bringing us gifts. Some are hard to swallow ... but the genie is out of the bottle. Can't put him back in. "It's all spiritual." Got to open up our hearts.

California? It used to be theirs. Damn. Karma. Just think how them and all those Indians felt ... California? It used to be my home … before all those unaccepting, “pure” people moved in with all that hatred. Now it’s me and a lot of people like me who are going to move next door. Seems like a fat lady’s girdle. Push it in one place, and it pops out another. Sure wish we’d grow up. But that brings us back to the spiritual … the theological and the … psychological….

Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Old good gosh, now I am a very angry person with BPD?

Gansta rap-that's the name of the music that I would not allow in my house. The same as I wouldn't allow any white supremist music.I have been known to play a bit of R&B, jazz and all sorts of music. Heck, I don't even really like country music but I used to play bluegrass with my father and papaw.

Once again, I feel no need to apologize for being the person I am today.

Anyway, I made some calls and found out many things about Shelbyville today. I talked to many local realtors and restaurant owners. It sounds like a wonderful place to live . I can't wait to move there!!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,951,905 times
The only statistics I came up with show that Shelbyville has 72% white, non hispanic residents with 9.5% hispanic.

Lokdchick - I hear what you are saying and understand completely. You don't need to apologize or explain yourself. I think we all want to live where we feel safe and where we have things in common with the people around us. There is nothing wrong with that.

I live in Long Beach, CA and we are retiring to the Louisville area next year. I've been to Shelbyville about 5 times and thought it was an interesting town with some nice residential areas...the downtown area has some run down areas and quite a bit of traffic but most towns that size and age do.

I will tell you this though - if my husband were going to work in Louisville (long commute for him) and I had small children, I would not pick Shelbyville - I'd choose Prospect or Crestwood or one of the many nice, safe residential neighborhoods that are all around Oldham or Jefferson County....not sure why you are choosing Shelbyville - please look at the crime statistics for Shelbyville too - not that great.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-03-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or