U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 AM

96 posts, read 479,543 times

Advertisements

............I am considering retiring to Kentucky or Tennessee and was wondering what it's like to live in & retire to Newport, Kentucky or Florence, Kentucky ?? Are these towns similar or different from each other ?? What are good or bad points about retiring to these towns ??.....After working for 30 years in NYC; I would like to retire to a nice, rural, retirement-friendly community with nice forest or mountain views nearby + a small lake nearby + a Hospital yet; I don't want to retire to a Town where the population is less than 6,000 & my wife can't drive to a mall or outlet.........Does Newport or Florence fit these requirements ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 28,292 times
I live in-between each of these two towns and I can tell you that Newport is considered (by those not living in Newport) a white trash area. Newport has added a mall (Newport on the Levy) and has lots of great eateries down by the river. There are some great areas in Newport, but the change is happening slowly, like many things in this neck of the woods. Florence is very nice with all the shopping places you would care to find within 10 miles, including a nice mall. Hospital within 5 miles or so (depends on where you live). It's not really rural as in pastures and cows, but there are many homes with land and lots of winding roads as well as condos or apartments in "rural" settings. And lots of nice little hills and forests to be seen. I think that between the two, Florence is the better choice unless you are willing to wait for Newport to finish its upgrading. Also, Newport doesn't really have much ruralness (is that a word?) to it due to it's location so close to Cincy and right on the river. That's just my take, for what it's worth. Others may jump in here and have a completely different view. Hopefully you'll get enough responses to have an informed decision. BTW - I'd love to move to the mountains of Tennessee! lol

Old 08-15-2006, 11:01 PM

108 posts, read 697,963 times
I'd agree with Centaura 57. I've been to both areas quite a bit (I lived most of my earlier years right down the AA in Maysville). Florence is a great area IMO with lots of shopping, friendly people and a lot of stuff to do. Plus Cincy is fairly close. There are some bad points (not necessarily bad in themselves, but bad in regards to your original post).

Good Points:

Cincy Metro Area has a LOT of shopping including several large indoor malls.

Lot of activities (Arnoff Center has plays, Reds Baseball, lot of festivals, Zoo, Bengals football, arts museum, etc).

Florence doesn't have a bad crime rate and is economically, one of the most prosperous regions in the state.

Great hospitals in the region.

Probably be much easier for your wife to adjust to (especially if she doesn't want to move to a tiny town).

Bad Points:

A lot of the NKY area is suburban sprawl that fans out from Cincinnati.

Cincy Metro is a big region (not compared to NYC but it is 2 million+ I think)...traffic *can* be really bad or it can be not so bad. It depends on accidents and when you drive. But if you don't like a lot of traffic (at least on the main highways/interstates), this could be a major point.

Florence isn't rural. It is suburban sprawl. Sprawl here isn't as bad as cities like NYC (Jersey side) or LA, but it still is what it is. If you are looking for a quite farming community or a town similiar to Andy Griffith, you need to look elsewhere. I don't mind the sprawl of suburbia (and in my mind, it is not all that bad) and the lots do have some land, this is not a rural area. Florence is the largest city in Boone County, and the second largest in Northern Kentucky. The population of 2000 was around 86K...back in
1990 it was around 58K. As you can imagine, the area has seen major growth and is projected to continue (Boone is expected to see a + 40K population growth between 2000 and 2010).

As for forest or mountain views...you are in the wrong part of the state. Florence is more of a suburb than a rural/mountain town. No it isn't all concrete or strip malls, but there are no huge tracts of undisturbed land or perfectly preserved forest/mountain areas).

Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 AM

96 posts, read 479,543 times
Default So where are the retirement towns with forests or mountain views in Kentucky ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppipa01 View Post
I'd agree with Centaura 57. I've been to both areas quite a bit (I lived most of my earlier years right down the AA in Maysville). Florence is a great area IMO with lots of shopping, friendly people and a lot of stuff to do. Plus Cincy is fairly close. There are some bad points (not necessarily bad in themselves, but bad in regards to your original post).

Good Points:

Cincy Metro Area has a LOT of shopping including several large indoor malls.

Lot of activities (Arnoff Center has plays, Reds Baseball, lot of festivals, Zoo, Bengals football, arts museum, etc).

Florence doesn't have a bad crime rate and is economically, one of the most prosperous regions in the state.

Great hospitals in the region.

Probably be much easier for your wife to adjust to (especially if she doesn't want to move to a tiny town).

Bad Points:

A lot of the NKY area is suburban sprawl that fans out from Cincinnati.

Cincy Metro is a big region (not compared to NYC but it is 2 million+ I think)...traffic *can* be really bad or it can be not so bad. It depends on accidents and when you drive. But if you don't like a lot of traffic (at least on the main highways/interstates), this could be a major point.

Florence isn't rural. It is suburban sprawl. Sprawl here isn't as bad as cities like NYC (Jersey side) or LA, but it still is what it is. If you are looking for a quite farming community or a town similiar to Andy Griffith, you need to look elsewhere. I don't mind the sprawl of suburbia (and in my mind, it is not all that bad) and the lots do have some land, this is not a rural area. Florence is the largest city in Boone County, and the second largest in Northern Kentucky. The population of 2000 was around 86K...back in
1990 it was around 58K. As you can imagine, the area has seen major growth and is projected to continue (Boone is expected to see a + 40K population growth between 2000 and 2010).

As for forest or mountain views...you are in the wrong part of the state. Florence is more of a suburb than a rural/mountain town. No it isn't all concrete or strip malls, but there are no huge tracts of undisturbed land or perfectly preserved forest/mountain areas).
.....I am looking for retirement towns with forests or mountain views & would like to know exactly what part of Kentucky they are in ?......I have heard that Eastern Kentucky ( which apparently encompasses Appalachia & Great Smokey Mountains ) has many towns with forests/ mountain views ( maybe even a small lake ) but don't know if any of these towns ( or this area ) is considered suitable for retirement ??...I guess that I would rather be closer to Andy Griffith than Newark ( not to bad mouth New Jersey ).......

Old 08-16-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Mountain views and lakes?

Look in and around Pike County, especially Pikeville, which is fast becoming very modern - malls and everything, but the population is only around 10,000. It's a great town, not a city per se. The Breaks are within an hour - great fishing, camping, vistas! You want mountains? You'll definitely find them there. Of all the places I've been to in eastern Kentucky, this is the one town that is actually GROWING! Pike Count is beautiful, but finding a home to buy is a little hard. People don't leave! lol At least the cost of building a home is reasonable, and finding land isn't all that hard, just finding a home ready to move into can take a little while. Here's a link to the local paper online.

http://www.news-expressky.com/

Old 08-16-2006, 07:07 AM

Akk! You can tell I'm a newby! lol Cut and paste the darn link since dingbat here couldn't manage to insert it properly. lol

Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 PM

108 posts, read 697,963 times
The Eastern part of KY is where the mountains and forests are. Most of central and western KY is gently rolling hills and farmland. Inner counties of Northern KY is urban sprawl from Cincy, while the outlying counties are still rural farmland.

As for KY, I could suggest a few cities that you look at.

Ashland KY

Besides Pikeville, Ashland is the other eastern KY city that you might want to look at. It is located in Boyd County, Kentucky, nestled along the banks of the Ohio River. The population was 21,981 at the 2000 census. Ashland is a part of the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 288,649. Ashland serves as an important economic center for northeast Kentucky. Don't know much about it, though I have heard positive reviews.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Downtown_ashland_KY.jpg (broken link)

Maysville, KY

This is my hometown. Not a lot of forest/mountains, but has farmland around it and it is a small rural town nestled along the Ohio River. Shopping though, you'll most likely do in Lexington or Cincy (hour drive). I can tell you more if you like.

Bardstown, KY

Same deal...no mountains or forest, but farmland and located close to Louisville for shopping (maybe 25 miles). Very nice place from what I have heard. Also give you information if you'd like.

As for TN, you may want to look at Gatlinburg. It is right next to Great Smokey Mountains National Park and is a small, quiet town with beautiful surroundings (you'll find your mountains and streams). While there aren't any "malls" in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge (about 20 miles or so away) is very commercialized and does have shopping (although mostly, the city of Pigeon forge is a tourist trap).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Gatlinburg2.JPG (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky