U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,502,413 times

Advertisements

We are planning to retire to Kentucky, probably the lake cumberland area, and are just investigating the area via internet. If I understand right, Pulaski County and all the counties around it are dry. Where do people who live there go to buy beer and vodka? As far as I can figure out, Lebanon would be the closest, and that is 80 miles away. Any input would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 PM

4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
I am not familiar with the current status of prohibition along the I-75 corridor, but if I remember correctly, people in the Somerset area had to go to Mt. Vernon (Rockcastle Co) or even as high as Madison Co. Many Kentucky counties have become moist. That means limited availability. Typically liquor in moist counties have alchol available in minimum size eating establishments

Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM

527 posts, read 1,566,783 times
this link will take you to a map of wet/dry counties in KY:

Map of Wet and Dry Counties in Kentucky (http://www.abc.ky.gov/Map+of+Wet+and+Dry+Counties+in+Kentucky.htm - broken link)

Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 PM

Thanks, Tomocox and Toria...I guess that answers my question...I checked out the map and think I'd go to Lexington and make a day of it!! Do you think they will ever change in Pulaski or Wayne County???

Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 AM

4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
Not as long as there are Baptist Preachers and Bootleggers. That is an old Kentucky joke where two normally opposite groups join in a combined effort to prevent "legal" alcohol sales.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:01 PM

tomocox.. I am new to this forum, so I don't know if I can ask you what area of the state you cover as an agent? I am just trying to get as much info on Kentucky as I can. The reason I was looking at the Lake Cumberland area was for it's natural beauty and the price of property and taxes. Now I wonder if I should be checking out other areas, too...maybe that are are more open minded???

Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 PM

216 posts, read 817,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
tomocox.. I am new to this forum, so I don't know if I can ask you what area of the state you cover as an agent? I am just trying to get as much info on Kentucky as I can. The reason I was looking at the Lake Cumberland area was for it's natural beauty and the price of property and taxes. Now I wonder if I should be checking out other areas, too...maybe that are are more open minded???
When I first started looking at Kentucky, I was drawn to the Lake Cumberland area too. After a lot of research, I decided that we would enjoy driving to the area and boating/camping instead of living there. It's relatively not too far of a distance from Louisville or Lexington, where a greater diversity of people, events, and ideas are naturally present. (Both places have an abundance of places with beverages of all kinds available in restaurants and stores too!)

Old 08-25-2007, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 20,444 times
Good Morning, I am new here! We are also looking to move to Kentucky out of Florida to retire. Was wondering if you made the move and how things are going if you did. Thank you for any update. Have wonderful day, Office Nanny

Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 720,548 times
Question Back on the subject of the "dry" county issue

Found this issue very interesting, and did some research about how many counties in Kentucky are still "Dry", really amazing. Sounds like someone is still living in the past! They have even proved with statistics how more "Dry" county residents get into alcohol related accidents than "Wet" county residents! Making people dry vast distances to get alcohol is crazy! If they want it, they will get it! Oh well what do you do. It does sound like there are less and less counties or cities each year, or have that silly "moist" designation to just confuse the issue more.

Now my questions for those who know regarding this issue.

#1) Can you buy out of state wine in a "Wet" county? The reason I ask this, because I read a article saying talking about the 2006 ruling that may kill the Wineries in Ky because of there inability to sell out of state/county/city, and how hard they made it for out of state wineries to sell in KY [practically impossible from the sound of it?]

#2] Can you travel with sealed alcohol through a "Dry" county? Example one went to another county that does sell alcohol. Purchased it, put it in the trunk, and brought it home, but your travels took you through or into a "Dry" state. This one makes me very curious.

#3] Is there really bootlegging still going on to this day?

Inquiring minds want to know. Plus if my in-laws end up moving over after us, being from England, they will really want to know! They know how to drink!! Hah.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 AM

667 posts, read 969,023 times
I live in Laurel county, just east of Pulaski county/Somerset. I can tell you that a weekly Friday ritual is for people to head to Richmond to stock on alcohol. The trip from Somerset to Richmond is about 45 min to an hour. Recently, communities like Somerset, Corbin and London voted to go "moist." In a moist town you can buy drinks at restaurants that seat more than 100 people. Also, I think Tomocox said there was age old Ky joke about Baptist preachers and bootleggers joining force..I think that's a reality. I know back in 2004, when London voted on a referendum to go "moist," about every Baptist church in town was up in arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky