U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 15,174 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move out to Kentucky in a couple years. We currently live in Utah, and will be transplanting horses, dogs, kids, and the like across the country. In our current state, we've had problems with racial issues. My husband is cuban, and he's experianced some discrimination due to be hispanic, for example, he's been pulled over in a shirt and tie for looking suspicious. There's been many other things, but that was the biggest thing.

We've visited many times on vacation and loved the places we've seen. As tourists, we've not seen anything negative at all. However, my husband does car sales and while he's a gifted, gifted man, he's run into problems a time or two. My question to those who live there is as a hispanic man is he likely to run into any more problems in this state then in any other place?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,874,244 times
Since we're not being politically correct, provided he is not 5' tall wearing a cowboy hat and pointy boots, he should be fine in the areas I know.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM

69 posts, read 295,893 times
That last response was totally rude-I hate to say it, but I feel most people here are small minded & don't know the first thing about cultural diversity. This is something Louisville lacks. You may be better off in somewhere like Chicago where people are more open to ethic diversity & won't judge you on your background. The last post was a clear example of this. Too bad there are people like this in KY. They should open their horizons up a bit, maybe this town would be a little better!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schools View Post
That last response was totally rude-I hate to say it, but I feel most people here are small minded & don't know the first thing about cultural diversity. This is something Louisville lacks. You may be better off in somewhere like Chicago where people are more open to ethic diversity & won't judge you on your background. The last post was a clear example of this. Too bad there are people like this in KY. They should open their horizons up a bit, maybe this town would be a little better!
I can't imagine Chicago being too horse friendly.

So would it be your opinion that folks would be less inclined to buy a car (provided it was what they wanted) if the salesman was Cuban? Or would it not matter? We don't care about rude comments...we get that here. We're just concerned about actual sales since that feeds us.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Since we're not being politically correct, provided he is not 5' tall wearing a cowboy hat and pointy boots, he should be fine in the areas I know.
He's 5'8", black hair, brown skin, and dresses like a city boy. He doesn't even speak spanish, so we're talking just looks.

Obviously, if hispanics bothered me, I might have mothered children with a different genetic background. However, I personally think the politically correct thing is as obnoxious as bigotry. So does my husband. He doesn't care so long as he can sell cars. He sells toyota so that's where he'd be going.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 PM

69 posts, read 295,893 times
I think moving anywhere north of KY & staying out of the south is the way to go. People are used to diversity up north & don't care what color your skin is, etc. I can't say the same for here. i know the cost of living is more costly, but have you considered NJ??? Plenty of area for horses there & a very diverse community!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Well, the cost of living is one of the main reasons we're leaving here and going to Kentucky. If we were ok with expensive, then we could just stay here. We need acerage; at least 5 but more like 12-15 and that's within our reach in Kentucky/Tennesee. However, if he can't sell there, then it becomes a moot point since I seriously doubt that they are giving away land.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schools View Post
Clearly you don't understand humor, for all you know I'm Hispanic ... try turning on Mind of Mencia some time and be a little less PC, you'll feel liberated.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monizuki View Post
He's 5'8", black hair, brown skin, and dresses like a city boy. He doesn't even speak spanish, so we're talking just looks.

Obviously, if hispanics bothered me, I might have mothered children with a different genetic background. However, I personally think the politically correct thing is as obnoxious as bigotry. So does my husband. He doesn't care so long as he can sell cars. He sells toyota so that's where he'd be going.
Truthfully he should be fine about anywhere in KY, I say 'about' because clearly I don't speak for everybody ... (I hope that didn't offend anyone.)

Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Truthfully he should be fine about anywhere in KY, I say 'about' because clearly I don't speak for everybody ... (I hope that didn't offend anyone.)
So how about the Toyota Market...I know they've got plants there. How does that influence things? Do lots of people buy them out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky