Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 PM

38 posts, read 144,152 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I have been scouting out smaller towns for possible relocation for the past three years or so. We have focused our search on the mountain areas of Western NC. Recently, however, we were told that we may like Berea, KY. After some research, it sounds quite promising. We like the idea of living in a town that has a small liberal arts college and Berea College sounds as if it fits the bill. Very cool from what we have read thus far! We are possibly planning a trip in the next few months. We are hoping to get some info before we go. Any help or info anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

1.) Can anyone provide some info on the politics of the town? Mostly Red or mostly Blue? If you are progressive or liberal, will you need to keep that to yourself?
2.) Would newcomers be scorned if they did not attend?
3.) Schools? How do they measure up to the national averages?
4.) What is it like to live in a dry town? Do people really refrain from alcohol?
5.) Is the town family oriented? Are there plenty of family events? If so, what?
6.) Is the town divided into actual neighborhoods? Does the town have sidewalks?
7.) How are taxes - city, local, state?
8.) What is healthcare like in the area? Are there decent hospitals?
9.) Are there local farmers markets?
10.) Do folks grow vegetable gardens?
11.) Do many folks commute elsewhere for employment?
12.) Are there many outdoor activities available? Hiking, fishing, biking, etc.?
13.) How cold does it get? How much snow? How warm in the summer?
14.) How is the cost of living? Home prices?
15.) Is diversity (in all realms) seen as a good thing or a bad thing?

Any info would be most appreciated.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Berea-Kentucky.html
You can look here in C-D and find out info on just about any town here in kentucky.
Here's the page on Berea.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM

19 posts, read 58,327 times
Born and bred Berean here, who also happened to attend Berea College so I'll throw in my two cents for you and try to do it objectively as well!

1.) Can anyone provide some info on the politics of the town? Mostly Red or mostly Blue? If you are progressive or liberal, will you need to keep that to yourself? The areas in the central Berea, essentially nearest to the college, are predominantly blue. As you move further away from the college campus it becomes more red. Now that's not to say that you won't find your pockets of red and blue within each of these respective areas. Traditionally, though, the closer to the school you reside, the more liberal it tends to be. That's due in part to the college's underlying mission to be fairly liberal in political ideology, much to many's dismay.

2.) Would newcomers be scorned if they did not attend? Attend what? The college? Not at all. Perhaps if you lived in one of the more remote areas outside Berea, but that is by no means the norm. In fact, it so rare that it probably isn't even worth mentioning. I would say that 99% of Bereans would be welcoming.

3.) Schools? How do they measure up to the national averages? Graduated from the public schools in Berea, ie Foley Middle and Madison Southern High. They used to be really good public schools, or at least better than average. That was about 8 years ago when I attended though. Test scores and what not have gone down since then...Not sure how they compare to national averages, but compared to my hey day in school, they are not nearly what they used to be. I still have a sister attending and my mother substitute teach's there so at least I can say I am "somewhat" in the loop...

Berea Community school (k-12) is still a very good school. For years it was associated with Berea College, though that relationship is effectively over. They always maintain a very high standard of education and always do well regarding test scores.
4.) What is it like to live in a dry town? Do people really refrain from alcohol?

I hated it, most people hate it. Berea remains a dry town predominantly because of Berea College. Though the school is by and large liberal, it retains its 100% dry stance toward alcohol, which is a part of the college's 155 year old founding principles. Because of this, the city remains dry. FYI, the town of Berea was entirely owned by Berea College. There would be no city of Berea if Berea College did not give the city so much land. Therefore, they have a big say in how the city is shaped. It's underlying and many wouldn't know of it, but it's certainly there.

Anyway, the nearest liquor store is about 15 minutes up US25, just within the Richmond city limits...I think you'll find that quite a few Bereans frequent that store. In fact, I think it's sole purpose is to cater to those who live in the southern half of the county, where it is dry, ie Berea. Boy I kept this place in business by myself during college...
5.) Is the town family oriented? Are there plenty of family events? If so, what?

A vast majority of the events are put on through the College and as such, are fairly family oriented...But those events were always few and far between as far as I was concerned. My opinion as a kid, a teen and a college student in Berea, it was a nice, quite place to raise a family away from the hustle and bustle of city life, but it sucked in the area of things to do.
6.) Is the town divided into actual neighborhoods? Does the town have sidewalks?
There are a fair amount of neighborhoods in Berea, though none are overtly huge neighborhoods. Within a 2-3 mile radius there are quite a few sidewalks and smaller, quainter neighborhoods. Again, the further you go from the college, the more large scale, newer neighborhoods you will find. Once you break past the 2-3 mile barrier, there are hardly any sidewalks in the outter reaches of the city (and that is not too far.)
7.) How are taxes - city, local, state?
Absolutely no help here. I lived in the dorms after I left home at 18 for school and rented an apartment when I got married. The taxes weren't bad at all and very reasonable. Not sure how they go on home ownership, though.

8.) What is healthcare like in the area? Are there decent hospitals?
St. Joseph's Berea is a fairly good hospital for anything not too life threatening or serious. Pattie A. Clay Regional in Richmond handles situation that are a bit more serious in nature. Anything terribly serious and you'll have to go to Lexington. But as far as the general flu bugs, illiness, arm breaks, apendectomy's etc etc, Berea Hospital will meet all your needs, and meet them very well at that.

9.) Are there local farmers markets?

Before I moved to Phoenix, about 6 months ago, farmers markets took place Tuesday and Friday evenings, next to the Log House on Berea College's campus. You'll be able to find that very easily...you really cant miss it as you drive through campus...
10.) Do folks grow vegetable gardens?

Yes. Give someone a 1/4 acre of land and there's a good chance they'll garden it.
11.) Do many folks commute elsewhere for employment?
Not infrequent at all to see people go to Richmond, Lexington and even to Georgetown, where there is a huge Toyota plant. Unless you can get a job at the College, who are no longer highering (my previous job was a college researcher in finances, they have put a college wide moratorium on 99% of jobs) you'll be hard pressed to find a career job, unless you are an entrepreneur.
12.) Are there many outdoor activities available? Hiking, fishing, biking, etc.?

Plenty of all the above. To continue from above (#5) as a kid and teen I spent 95% of my time doing these three. The Pinnacles, about 5 miles from Berea, are the main hiking attraction, with quite a few trails and peaks to hike. A lot of lakes are privately owned...at least the best to fish anyway, but there are a few open to the public. Owsley Fork Resevoir being the most prevalent. I biked 1000's of miles all over that city from the age of about 4-16, when I got my license!
13.) How cold does it get? How much snow? How warm in the summer?

I hated the winters and springs in Kentucky. They were the so incredibly unpredictable and that is why I moved to AZ. I've seen 22 inches of snow, 70 degrees on Christmas day, a blizzard in early April (after 2 85 degree days I might add. I laid out by the pool in early April to enjoy the sun and got a bit sun burned for two days. On day 3, it was 25 degrees and we had a whiteout.) What finally drove me to the edge is that the winters don't consist of a lot of snow. COLD COLD rains, sleet and Ice are more typical in the winter. I'd rather see 14 inches of snow as opposed to 4 inches of ice...

The summers are lovely. If the temps rise above 90, it'll be a big deal. Most likely they will stay in the mid-80's with darn near 100% humidity...boy is that fun
14.) How is the cost of living? Home prices?

Again, not the greatest source here. However, I do know the cost of living is very very low. At the same time, income is not nearly as high as many places, so it all evens out in the long run. I lived in a family of 6 and never felt like we were living poorly. My wife and I attended college at the same time and we had to take up part time and odd jobs to survive and not once did I feel like we were living sub-standard. Home prices, much like anywhere in the nation, are down now too. And that is already on top of the fact that they were never bad to begin with. I cannot give you numbers, but I am certain that you will be pleased by home prices in Berea.
15.) Is diversity (in all realms) seen as a good thing or a bad thing?

Boy could I go on about this...The college preaches the diversity of the area as if you are living in the most diverse place in the world. The fact of the matter is that Berea is not really that diverse, especially as you get away from Berea College. I lived there 23 years and I really can't say that I ever knew anyone that loathed the idea of 'diversity,' I know KY gets the reputation as being extremely racist, still "old south" minded and what not. It is anything but the former, except in extreme cases and that is the same everywhere and whereas the latter is concerned, Berea and KY in general still hold true to many of the "old south" principles, but that doesn't mean that it frowns upon diversity. People really just stick to themselves. You don't bother them, they won't bother you. Black, white, Mexican, purple polka dotted, whatever. Just be nice to people and they'll be nice back. The liberal teachings at Berea College preached this diversity and in most cases, it only lead to a rise in tensions, often times between students and especially between the college and the communtiy...I kid you not. They are always trying to force the idea in everything they do and I personally think that is bad. If a community is truly diverse and embracing, as a majority of Berea is, you don't need to preach it day in, day out. As I said, be nice to people and they will be kind to you...no matter the circumstances.

Well, I hope this helped. Berea will forever be "home" for me, but I swear I could never live there again. It was a great place to grow up, but in the end, wasn't for me and that is predominantly because of my college experience...but that's for another day!

If you are looking for the quite life, near the mountains but not 2 hrs from a bigger city, Berea is a good fit.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 PM

Default Thank you!

Mangobus24,

Thank you so much for the thorough info! We truly appreciate all of your time and effort. How could one ask for more than the perspective of a native?!

My question #2 was in reference to attending church. "Would newcombers be scorned for not attending church?" I simply forget the church part!

We so appreciate your candor in regards to the info you supplied. In regards to the diversity issue, we think we got your drift. It sounds as if the college and the community might be at odds in some cases. Is this accurate? You stated that you could never live there again due to your college experience. We would love to probe you further about this, as the college (at least its founding principles and concepts) is what has drawn us to research the community further. By no means do we wish to pry, but if you wish to elaborate further, we'd be all ears. Feel free to email directly if you wish.

Again, thanks so much for your time and energy.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
It should also be noted that Berea is rightfully known as the arts and crafts capitol of Kentucky, due to the many creative and artistic people who live and make their living there by offering their creations for sale. You'll find pottery, basketry, weavings, handmade jewelry, paintings and drawings, woodwork, furniture, musical instruments and more for sale in Berea. I did some of my Christmas shopping there last Saturday - very nice to help the local economy by buying unique items of high quality, all locally made.

Berea College has long been a supporter and source of handicrafts, and still offers a wide variety of student made crafts for sale. Berea is tuition-free, but all students must work, and some choose to learn to make things - pottery, weavings, furniture, woodcarvings, etc. Their creations are for sale at the Log House, and other Kentucky-made arts and crafts can be found at the Kentucky Artisan Center, as well as in the shops and studios along Chestnut Street, the Square, and in Old Town.

There are also many antique shops in Berea.

As for "family-oriented" activities, Berea is a major center for traditional music an dance, both through the college, local schools, and community. There are regular contra and English country dances held each month that are open to the public, and the annual (very intensive) Christmas Country Dance School has been going on for over 60 years during the week between Christmas and New Year's, attended by over 200 adults and teens from all over. In addition to the college's famous Berea Country Dancers performance group, the Festival Dancers are a group of local middle and high school students who perform traditional and historic dances, often in period costume, and who have traveled abroad numerous times on dance tours.

And of course the local schools offer more typical extra curricular activities: sports, class plays, etc. The college has an excellent drama department which produces plays of consistently high quality, again open to the public.

Concerts of both classical and traditional folk music are often offered through the college, and folk music also can be heard regularly at various coffee shops, the visitors' center in Old Town, and at the Kentucky Artisan Center on the edge of town by I-75. So if you and your family have an interest in or are open to learning more about traditional crafts, music and dance, Berea will be a great place for you to live.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-23-2009 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks for your reply, CraigCreek.
We appreciate all the info about the arts and crafts aspects of the community. We like the sound of it all! From your reply it sounds as if you do not live in Berea, correct?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
No, I live 45 minutes away, so it's an easy drive. I have lots of friends in Berea and visit frequently.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
As for the walkability question, Berea also has a nice bike trail system - this is because Berea students are prohibited from having cars on campus until their junior year. The Boone Tavern block (on campus) has several coffee shops and craft stores, the actual downtown Berea (1 mile west of there) has several more antique and craft stores.

I'd also say Berea feels much smaller than 11,000 people and most chain stores and restaurants are 10 miles north in Richmond (pop. 33,000)

Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Berea has a bit of the "hippy" thing going on there. It's a much smaller version of Asheville, NC basically. That town seems to attract that kind of people. It does have antique stores, though I've never been to any, have just seen them while driving by. The Kentucky Artisan Center off I-75 is really nice and has lots of Kentucky made products of different price ranges, from cheap to expensive. The layout of Berea, mainly near downtown is really odd. The streets are not a grid system at all for some reason. I prefer Richmond which is just 10 minutes north of Berea.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM

19 posts, read 58,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As for the walkability question, Berea also has a nice bike trail system - this is because Berea students are prohibited from having cars on campus until their junior year. The Boone Tavern block (on campus) has several coffee shops and craft stores, the actual downtown Berea (1 mile west of there) has several more antique and craft stores.

I'd also say Berea feels much smaller than 11,000 people and most chain stores and restaurants are 10 miles north in Richmond (pop. 33,000)

In the immediate vicinity of Berea College, there are plenty of bike trails, sidewalks. But if you get more than 1 mile away from the campus itself, there will be nearly no sidewalks, bikepaths. It's something the City of Berea is working toward, but as of now they are seriously lacking in walkability in the outskirts of the city.

Boone Tavern and Old Town Berea are nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky