U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-20-2011, 04:05 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,794,192 times
I'm not sure about the "clash", but to me, many people seemed very stand-offish, unfriendly, and abrupt to the point of rudeness in Cincy, at least initially. Others were very warm, friendly, and pleasant - but I encountered more in the first category. This was c.1969-1972, while working in an older middle-class Cincinnati suburb. I hope things have changed since then.

I am from Lexington, not rural Ky, was professionally employed, and my speech is typical of educated people from this area - but the attitude of many Cincinnatians towards me was often prejudicial - once they learned I was a Kentuckian, I got lots of comments about bare feet, moonshine, etc., and the attitude often was very definitely hostile, not humorous. Efforts at ordinary courteous friendliness were met with suspicion, while efforts to counter the bare feet comments with efforts at humor about those "brats" for sale in local butcher shops got me nowhere. Sigh.

I expect every Kentuckian has experienced the barefoot comments when out of state - I first encountered it when visiting Montana, at age fifteen ("When did you guys start wearing shoes?"). But Cincinnati is close enough that the hostility surprised me, especially in my line of work, which made clear my educational background by its nature.

I got the impression that the people who behaved this way felt threatened by any "outsider" invading what they viewed as their bailiwick - I was very definitely on their turf, and many of them didn't like it one bit.

At the time, I was an early twenty-something, idealistic and very motivated about my profession and in my first "real" job and apartment. I was also working under a supervisor who previously unknown to me, had driven four of my predecessors from my position in the previous two years. I soon understood why they'd left, and asked for a transfer before I'd been there two months. The supervisor must have known where the bodies were buried, for despite ample evidence that they were unbalanced, they stayed on and on, going through yet more and more unwary young professionals who were unfortunate enough to work under their supervision.

So is this "German"? Not really. My initial experience was certainly unfortunate. I got out from the bad position after six months and only years later encountered anyone quite so awful in the workplace (alas, there was a second sociopath awaiting me down the road - the second one got themselves fired after egregious public verbal attacks on many, many other employees).

But I found a lot of clannishness, especially with older individuals, a sort of conservatism and suspicion of innovation or change. It had nothing to do with politics but apparently a lot to do with being descended from families who'd settled in Cincy during the German migrations of the 1840s, and never having spent much time anywhere else,and having observed the same comfortable habits of daily living for generations without much changing. Anyone who didn't share this background was definitely an outsider, to be treated courteously but not considered "one of us". Or so it seemed to me.

Meanwhile, though I enjoyed Cincy's parks, museums, and other attractions, and made some pleasant acquaintances and one very good friend nearer my own age among my fellow employees, I escaped back to my beautiful Bluegrass as often as I could, and was extremely happy to accept a hometown job in my profession after three years of what felt like exile. I've never regretted moving back home.

Noting all those southbound Ohio plates heading down I-75 on Friday evenings made it clear I wasn't the only homesick Kentuckian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,213 times
I was in NKY a couple of times house hunting in Boone, Kenton Counties and I felt very comfortable there. It feels like once you cross the Roebling bridge your kind of in the south. I feel good when every once in a while I see a "good old boy' with a battle flag on his property etc. I'd be okay living there but its hard to relocate anywhere unless you have a job there first. The people there are very okay as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the starter of this thread is too impressed with himself and doesn't appreciate basic values that I felt permeated the population there in NKY.

Unread 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
Culturally, socially and otherwise, would you say that NKY is the Bluegrass State's answer to New Jersey? I Used to live with this guy from NKY, Irish Catholic fellow, seemed nice enough, aside from the occasional snarky comment at someone else's expense.

Back to the NKY/NJ comparison...

- NJ has Philly and NYC at it's borders, NKY has Cincy (another large, old city)

- Both places have been accused of being the rudest in their state and country, respectively

- Both places most heavily impacted by 19th/early 20th century immigrants Italians of Newport and Northern ... - Google Books

- Both areas are marked by a patchwork of many smaller, but dense, old cities (many of which peaked around the end of WW2) as well as "mall culture"
Interesting analogy except that real estate taxes are so much less in Northern KY than Northern NJ.

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,839 times
We are seriously thinking of moving toward Northern Kentucky from Georgetown, KY. Every time we have been up that way, people have been extremely friendly! I can only hope that it remains that way if we make that final decision to move to Mt. Olivet, KY. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA and moving to Kentucky has been wonderful. I have been here 10 years now and have grown to appreciate the slower pace and down-to-earth people here in Kentucky! I love KY! Go Big Blue!

Unread 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM

I looked in Burlington, Hebron, Independence and all three are nice places to call home although Burlington and Hebron have lower taxes.

Unread 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM

35 posts, read 28,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenky View Post
You sound ignorant. Vegetarian Vietnamese Pho? Did you laugh when you wrote that or were you congratulating yourself on being familiar with a term other that "cheeseburger". And Fashion- don't kid yourself- I wouldn't have used that term to describe anything that I saw there. Let's just leave it at that.

Listen, I had an experience. I went to NKY and it was awful. The people were rude and seemed to lack any degree of tact. I understand that you appreciate your perspective but I'm afraid to say you have only furthered my point. Northern Kentucky is a bad place. You acting as it's delegation only validates my perspective that it is not a place I ever wish to visit again.

One last thing--Arizona is awesome. I traveled all over that state for work and NEVER encountered anything like I did in NKY. FYI.
You're right, most NKY people truly hate Dbags, so I can understand why the locals hated you!

Unread 04-04-2011, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,279 times
NKY is basically just a place to live in peace and quiet.
If your looking to have fun & go out n do stuff, might at well get used to walking your dog..
NKY agreed, the most boring place ive been to in my life. Holstein, Iowa...is a better place.

Unread 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM

3,151 posts, read 4,824,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandtjackson View Post
We are seriously thinking of moving toward Northern Kentucky from Georgetown, KY. Every time we have been up that way, people have been extremely friendly! I can only hope that it remains that way if we make that final decision to move to Mt. Olivet, KY. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA and moving to Kentucky has been wonderful. I have been here 10 years now and have grown to appreciate the slower pace and down-to-earth people here in Kentucky! I love KY! Go Big Blue!
Mt. Olivet is not the N. Ky. that any of us are talking about, though. That essentially is a northern extension of central Kentucky culturally speaking.

N. Ky. as defined by locals and most people throughout the state that I've met consists of the three northernmost counties of Boone, Kenton and Campbell. Those three counties are, at least in their northern halves, tremendously influenced by Cincinnati. The southern halves are a strange Cincinnati-Kentucky hybrid (Cincinnati media, sports with Kentucky colloquialisms and semi-accents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthomas1999 View Post
You're right, most NKY people truly hate Dbags, so I can understand why the locals hated you!
The original poster may have been a bit harsh, I'll grant. But, being a transplant to this area myself, I definitely see where he's coming from. I've really tried to like NKY but it is most definitely not a transplant-friendly area.

Let me just put it this way: I recently went on a couple of dates with a girl who is native to NKY. I bluntly told her that I plan on leaving NKY in the near future for somewhere more suitable for me. Her response? "That's wonderful!" (She wasn't being sarcastic, either, although I promise you she was wishing me success rather than wishing me away.) When I first moved here two years ago, I took another girl on a date who came outright and said that the Cincinnati area is often reputed by transplants as a difficult place to break the ice; how right she was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkrunk View Post
NKY is basically just a place to live in peace and quiet.
If your looking to have fun & go out n do stuff, might at well get used to walking your dog..
NKY agreed, the most boring place ive been to in my life. Holstein, Iowa...is a better place.
NKY is far from the most boring place I've lived. There are enough festivals and restaurants to partake in to satisfy urban and suburban dwellers alike. But the way NKY is laid out infrastructurally sometimes makes it difficult to access different communities. Sure it's bisected by a modern freeway system, but many of the side neighborhoods and communities are bi-sected by big hills which makes for a lot of curvy roads and confusing directions. Therefore, unless a restaurant or attraction is on a major thoroughfare or at Newport on the Levee (which is just off a major thoroughfare, I-471), people almost never know about them.

Unread 05-19-2011, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
NKY is a great place to be......the main problem is too many SE "hicks" think it is a place to be and therefore, make it much like "trash from home and hollers". I would go there anytime, preferably after the "holler trash" find other places to make "home"! NKU is a great university!

Unread 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 642 times
To ihatenky......all I have to respond to that, is w o w! I can truly say, with immense certainty, that if I was to ever experience a personality , such as portrayed in your negative, nasty, ignorant, closeminded, and seemingly never ending banter about the wonderful state I live in, I would not only have walked away halfway through one of your pessimistic run on sentences, but I would have strongly advised everyone else to do the same! I sure hope that you've found your way out of ky, and into some other poor unsuspecting state. Just don't open your mouth to spread your cancerous attitude, and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky