Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphene View Post
Continuing along this topic, can anyone recommend any rural school districts for well-performing public schools? I know I can look at stats, but stats are only half the picture. Any parents out there in small town/rural communities in Central to South Kentucky that are "pretty happy" to "extremely happy" with their child's school? What is the curriculum like? How do the teachers respond to the children? What kind of programs, if any, are available for children after school?
Thanks in advance.

Oldham County is the best school district in the state and would meet your needs. Ideally, would look there, or perhaps Woodford County. Oldham has some very rural areas in the northern half that are still with 45 minutes of city amenities yet completely rural, and you will get much more in home appreciation along with the best all around school district (and it is also a county with a lot more transplants, unlike most of KY)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
You're going to school in the healthcare industry? Consider one hour from the Louisville area.
It has a large medical center:3 Norton Hospitals, including children's hospitals; two Baptist hospitals (3 -counting the one in La Grange); one Jewish in-patient hospital and various ED departments; one University of Louisville hospital). The university has research facilities and Jewish Hospital specializes in heart care and pioneers in hand transplants. Just across the Ohio River, in Indiana, is Clark Hospital and Floyd Hospital.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 PM

50 posts, read 77,839 times
Thank you both, stx12499 and Visvaldis. I'll see how far Oldham and Woodford Counties are from Louisville (nice tip on the hospitals =D) and gauge what my commute and such will be between the two, and see where that info leads me. I greatly appreciate the tips and help. Given the fact that Oldham is the best school district in the state (as er stx12499), I'll start my research there. Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphene View Post
Thank you both, stx12499 and Visvaldis. I'll see how far Oldham and Woodford Counties are from Louisville (nice tip on the hospitals =D) and gauge what my commute and such will be between the two, and see where that info leads me. I greatly appreciate the tips and help. Given the fact that Oldham is the best school district in the state (as er stx12499), I'll start my research there. Thanks again!
Oldham County is a bed room community to Louisville. It is suburban in its southern edge and very rural in its northern edge. Compared to New York, most all of KY will seem rural to you besides downtown Louisville, and some areas inside I-264. Woodford County is a bedroom community to Lexington. Much smaller town, but you may want to check it out. But Louisville is by far the health care leader in the Ohio River Valley. Tomocox is our resdident Oldham County expert. Feel free to contact him and he will help you immensely.

Visvaldis is a little off. There are actually around 22 full service hospitals in the Louisville metro area, including the Southern Indiana suburbs. There are many more bursing homes, assisted living facilities, rehab facilities, and specialty centers along woth extra ERs and probably over 40 urgent care clinics.

There are 5 major players in the metro Louisville healthcare system:

Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's HealthCare > Locations

Hospitals

Facilities

Louisville, Kentucky Hospitals and Specialty Care Centers: University of Louisville Hospital

Louisville VA Medical Center Home

And the above does not include every hospitak in the metro as there are a several more. Here are a few:

Floyd Memorial Hospital
Harrison County Hospital •Â*Home

Lately, there have been talks of merger between UofL and Jewish, creating a goliath healthcare system, and of the leading academic and research centers in the region.

Additionally, there are big expeditures planned, including a new 700 million dollar VA Hospital and also a 1 Billion diollar health care park under development:

Three suburban sites added to list for new VA hospital | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

University Of Louisville | Broken Sidewalk

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM

50 posts, read 77,839 times
Wow! I never expected this much detail, thank you very much. =D
I will start reading up on the information you gave me, and am writing down tomocox's name for future reference. I, thankfully, have over a year to do my background research... which will, most likely, lead to me asking many questions on this forum. (Sorry!) However, I'm finding that Kentuckians are very helpful.
I greatly appreciate your assistance with this, stx12499.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky