Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 AM

50 posts, read 77,820 times

Advertisements

Hi All
This may sound foolish, but how are NY'ers received in the more rural areas of KY? We are researching our options for affordable places to live that can offer land, decent cost of living, relatively low crime, and friendly/relaxed communities. I have read through the Kentucky forum throughout the last two weeks, and would really like an honest answer about how "newcomers" are treated in the rural areas, as opposed to Louisville or Lexington. We don't want to live in a city, but would need to be within an hour's driving distance for amenities. In addition, we are a small family, white/hispanic mix, and I am in school at the moment, hoping to get a degree in the health care industry. (Don't know if that affects anything.)

Thank you in advance for any input.

EDIT: I read the sticky a little late - **face palm**
Where you are working Not anywhere in KY yet. Going to school and working in NY.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing Around 100K
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate An hour each way.
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Public is preferable.
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Rural/small town. Close enough to drive few minutes to my neighbors in an emergency, but not near enough to see into their windows.
-Community amenities important to you Grocery, obviously; decent schools, hunting (bow and gun) supplies available, internet at DSL or higher, and maybe a Target or other such store to handle emergent shopping needs that can't be done online.
-Pie or cake? Apple, pumpkin and sweet potato pie, Red Velvet Cake or chocolate. =D

Last edited by seraphene; 11-01-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM

141 posts, read 752,337 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_GLcumolw

Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,877 times
We're NY transplants to Bourbon County, just east of Lex. Everyone we've mentioned that we're from NY to, is interested in what part, or how did we end up in KY, or other such details. Never have we been ill received! You'll love it here! Good luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,844 times
My best guess for you all will be Glasgow, Kentucky. It's a smaller city but it's no so small; it's the perfect size. Housing is affordable, depending on what you're looking for and what location, it can range from $100,000 to $400,000 for the most part. There is little crime in that area, and it's the kind of city where everyone knows everyone. It's got restaurants (Wendy's, Colton's, Applebees, Long John Silvers, Hardees, etc.), grocery stores (Walmart, Kmart, Food Lion, Houchens, etc.), clothing stores (Walmart, Kmart, Goodies, Pebbles, etc.) but not a ton of them, a movie theater, as well as a few other things.
As for how new comers are received in Glasgow pretty well, there is a extension college campus located in town so they are used to new comers. But don't think just because it has a college campus in town it will be the typical "college town" it is not. It's only a commuter campus so most students drive from out of town to come to campus.
Glasgow is only 30 minutes away from Bowling Green, Kentucky. With you going to school you could either go to the Western Kentucky University extension's campus in Glasgow or drive to Bowling Green to go to the main campus. There are various job opportunities in either Glasgow or Bowling Green depending on what type of job you are looking for.
Currently I'm living in Bowling Green and it's a great city as well, just a bigger one than Glasgow and it is your typical "college town". But by what your saying Glasgow would be a great city to live in.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I'll look into Bourbon County (ty, ponypulr) and the areas surrounding Bowling green, esp. Glasgow (ty, craig.poland964). And muchas gracias for the YouTube down home welcome I got.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Continuing along this topic, can anyone recommend any rural school districts for well-performing public schools? I know I can look at stats, but stats are only half the picture. Any parents out there in small town/rural communities in Central to South Kentucky that are "pretty happy" to "extremely happy" with their child's school? What is the curriculum like? How do the teachers respond to the children? What kind of programs, if any, are available for children after school?
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Does anyone have answers/suggestions regarding the questions I asked about schools and curriculum?
A germane response would be most appreciated.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM

298 posts, read 596,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphene View Post
Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I'll look into Bourbon County (ty, ponypulr) and the areas surrounding Bowling green, esp. Glasgow (ty, craig.poland964). And muchas gracias for the YouTube down home welcome I got.

You got to over look Deo...he is our local idoit.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks HiBall, I got a good chuckle out of it and many other posts I found from that person on other threads. I'm not going to let one person taint my opinion of Kentucky =D.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 PM

141 posts, read 752,337 times
If I be considered a fool for Christ's sake, I shall count myself lucky to be in the company of St. Paul. (1 Corintjians 4:10)

"For the foolish things of the world hath God chosen, that he may confound the wise, and the weak things of the world hath God chosen, that he may confound the strong." (1 Corinthians 1:27)

Last edited by DeoGratias; 11-04-2010 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky