Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 16,238 times

Advertisements

II will appreciate thoughts from the forum about mid-sized (say, 10K - 25K) retirement destinations in Kentucky. I plan a (return) exploratory trip in the spring.

The essential data about me are that I am a RETIREDand SINGLE professional man , so I am eager to find a town where I can make friends, where folks are naturally friendly and accepting of a transplant Yankee (Vermont,) who does not arrive with an attitude. Of course, given my age, quality health care is a consideration, as are outdoor recreational opportunities (I fly fish, run, hike) In most ways, I should fit Kentucky culture and values pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM

409 posts, read 872,328 times
Three places that pop into my head right away are Danville, Somerset and Shelbyville. Danville is within 20 minutes of Lexington and Shelbyville is within thirty minutes of Louisville.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Hi, Chris! Try around Murray. It's a university town, friendly people too. For your fishing and hiking, Kentucky Lake is about 20 miles away. At 160,000 acres, it's the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River, so there's plenty of fishing.Kentucky Lake Information and History For hiking the Land Between the Lakes has over 200 miles of hiking trails, including on that runs the entire length of the LBL, 65 miles. LBL | HIKING Main Trails (http://lbl.org/HIMainTrails.html - broken link) For running, I was in Murray (http://www.mymurray.com/) last weekend and saw several runners in town. In cold or wet weather (but, being from Vermont, cold weather to us is probably just a cool breeze to you! lol), the regional special events center is set up for running inside. RSEC: Walking and Recreation (http://www.murraystate.edu/rsec/walkingandrec.htm - broken link) . There's plenty to see and do in this area. In 1987, the Murray-Kentucky Lake area was rated the #1 retirement community in the country.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Three places that pop into my head right away are Danville, Somerset and Shelbyville. Danville is within 20 minutes of Lexington and Shelbyville is within thirty minutes of Louisville.
Danville is an outstanding pick! Probably my favorite small town in ALL of Kentucky. Centre College, Norton Center, a beautiful downtown, a great hospital, only 35 miles to Lexington, very close to lakes and mountains. Truly a great central location and a very nice small city. Don't expect to find Macy's, Von Maur or Nordstrom, but there are still Walmart, Peebles, JCPenney, Lowe's, a movie theater, Applebee's, O'Charley's, just what you need and only a bit more.

Shelbyville has become a strange conglomeration of (mostly) dirty, illegal immigrants and snooty, faux-high society Louisville transplants. You know, the ones that are the $80,000/year millionaires and leasing BMWs but don't have the means yet still have the "attitude." It was a really nice town ten years ago, but now I'd pass Shelbyville. I'd actually choose La Grange and Crestwood anyday over Shelbyville, and those towns put you much closer to downtown Louisville.

Somerset...a dump. Arguably my least favorite town in the state, ranking with Hopkinsville, Winchester and Corbin. Nothing about Somerset enchants me--the layout, people, atmosphere, etc. I also hear about quite a bit of crime on the news eminating from Somerset/Pulaski County, such as drug deals gone bad, unpinned dogs almost eating people, nasty domestic disputes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hi, Chris! Try around Murray. It's a university town, friendly people too. For your fishing and hiking, Kentucky Lake is about 20 miles away. At 160,000 acres, it's the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River, so there's plenty of fishing.Kentucky Lake Information and History For hiking the Land Between the Lakes has over 200 miles of hiking trails, including on that runs the entire length of the LBL, 65 miles. LBL | HIKING Main Trails (http://lbl.org/HIMainTrails.html - broken link) For running, I was in Murray (Murray, Kentucky - MyMurray.com) last weekend and saw several runners in town. In cold or wet weather (but, being from Vermont, cold weather to us is probably just a cool breeze to you! lol), the regional special events center is set up for running inside. RSEC: Walking and Recreation (http://www.murraystate.edu/rsec/walkingandrec.htm - broken link) . There's plenty to see and do in this area. In 1987, the Murray-Kentucky Lake area was rated the #1 retirement community in the country.
Murray's not a bad pick either. Some nice western Kentucky towns also worth looking into are Cadiz and Princeton. Very comfortable, slow-paced, country, and just small. I'm sure they're great for a retired person just looking to settle down.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 AM

Sincere thanks to the three of you who have replied so far. Murray and Danville are real possibile destination that have occurred to me. I have visited Danville and have to agree that it is a lovely town. I plan to visit Murray this spring.

What about Middlesboro or Frankfort? Middlesboro looks like a stunning location, but will East Kentucky be a harder adjustment?

For me friendly neighbors and health care and nature are the issues. Will my indisbutable Yanke identity and accent pose a problem in any of these communities?

Hope y'all are surviving the ice storm. Thank you!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
I'm a big fan of Frankfort, but can't answer your question re the northern accent. I'm renting in northern Franklin County right now (seasonal) and just bought a house in Owen County for the long haul, but I have relatives all over the area so my situation is very different. I have noticed that almost everyone I meet is a native of the area, at least in the rural areas I frequent. People are certainly friendly enough, but perhaps not as outgoing as I am accustomed to encountering here in Alabama. And that's okay, because us Alabama folks are quite often described by our own Yankee transplants as being overly effusive.

I do know that Frankfort appears to have a very nice new hospital and is relatively convenient to Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati, has good housing stocks in many periods and styles, and is in the population target range you're looking for. Frankfort's business appears to be based on the state government, so you should be able to count on a stable local economy, as well as steadily (albeit moderately) appreciating land and home values. If I wanted to live in town, Frankfort is compact enough and certainly pretty enough to make me happy.

As a youngster, I saw many anglers flyfishing in the Elkhorn on foot, but I suspect today that you would be restricted to float fishing those same areas inasmuch as landowners are much more sensitive to riverbed trespass these days. And that's all I know.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,015 times
I would recommend Morganfield, KY. It is near the Illinois, Indiana border. My husband and I moved here a year ago from Northern Indiana and love it. Evansville is very close, 45 minutes max, Shawnee National Forest is also close. Land Between the Lakes is within a couple of hours and there are several local wildlife & fishing areas. Henderson has the Audubon Park and riverwalk areas. The people hear have been really welcoming and we love it here!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM

409 posts, read 872,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophilos View Post

What about Middlesboro or Frankfort? Middlesboro looks like a stunning location, but will East Kentucky be a harder adjustment?

For me friendly neighbors and health care and nature are the issues. Will my indisbutable Yanke identity and accent pose a problem in any of these communities?

Hope y'all are surviving the ice storm. Thank you!
I can't really speak to Frankfort, but Middlesboro is nice. However, it is somewhat out of the way (expect about a hour drive to get to the interstate to go anywhere). Neighbors should be alright, as long as you don't settle in the middle of a holler where they're dealing drugs from. (I'm only half joking).

Health care would be the real issue I think. I've heard little about the Middlesboro hospital, and what little I've heard is not negative, but it is definitely not positive. The nearest major medical centers are in Knoxville, Tn and Lexington, Ky.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Do you have any health problems? Louisville has by far the leading stroke and heart centers in the state. If I were older, I personally would not live more than 40 miles from Louisville or Cincinnati, or possibly, Lexington, in the state of KY. I work in health care and can vouch for the very poor hospitals in the state outside these centers.

Based on what you are describing, I think you would really love La Grange, KY. It is a very nice town, with a quaint, tiny historic downtown. Also Bardstown, which is a bit larger, but further from Louisville. Close to Lexington, i woul dlook at Versailles, which is another quaint town in a highly educated county, much like Oldham.

The fact is, ANYWHERE in KY, even living downtown of its cities, will put you within minutes of mountains, knobs, rolling fields, horse farms, hiking, etc.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Thanks stx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Do you have any health problems? . . . .

Based on what you are describing, I think you would really love La Grange, KY. It is a very nice town, with a quaint, tiny historic downtown. . . . The fact is, ANYWHERE in KY, even living downtown of its cities, will put you within minutes of mountains, knobs, rolling fields, horse farms, hiking, etc.
Many hanks, stx, for the La Grange suggestion, which would never have occurred to me. Looks charming. Its proximity to Louisville and its culture is a huge plus.

No health issues yet; quite athletic for my age, just realistic, because I'm not getting any younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky