U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 PM

246 posts, read 961,911 times

Advertisements

I disagree strongly with the last two posts. Winchester is a rapidly expanding town of about 25,000 people, and has many pretty and historical neighborhoods as well. Several important highway expansion projects are in the works right now as well, so as to handle the significant growth, that this area is now experiencing. Perhaps that last poster was intending to refer to Stanton instead. P.S. What have got against Clark County Swamp Water (Ale-8-One) anyways. When I worked in the railroad industry, one of our job perks was a free supply of this high test soft drink. Unfortunately, I am no longer permitted to drink this sugary treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 22,440 times
I grew up there and love the place...in fact, I'd give just about anything to move back. It has some of the friendliest and wittiest people I've met, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. I plan to retire there if I can't get back sooner.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,248,108 times
I take it you'll be working in Georgetown. I wouldn't live in either town. I've never been treated very nicely by many Georgetownians and I just notice a mean, snooty attitude among its residents. I hate Georgetown, seriously!

Paris, very close to G'town and Win., is much the same way.

Now, as for Winchester has a lot of the mean redneck types; one of my parents used to work there and disliked almost every second of it. He describes that place as "rough." My brother also used to play baseball over there and described the majority of the townspeople he met as brash and classless. If I were to live near Winchester and still in Clark Co. (of which Win. is the seat,) I'd try to find a nice, secluded tract of land on a bluff overlooking the Kentucky River so I could have some solitude.

You know, it wouldn't be such a long commute from:
1. Dry Ridge or Williamstown in Grant County, only 25 miles north of G'town, 40 mi. or so from Winchester, and very close to Cincinnati.
2. Lexington and Fayette County, the regional economic and cultural center of east central and eastern Kentucky, the closest to both G'town and Winchester.
3. Richmond or points northward in Madison County, only 25 miles south of G'town and very close to Lexington and Winchester.
4. Mount Sterling and Montgomery Co., only 12 miles from Winchester and 30 miles from G'town, not growing very fast (most of its boom was in the 1980s), but just enough shopping and dining that coming into a larger town on the weekend isn't necessary.

Personally, I think the jewel of central Kentucky is Danville, but that is way out of your way. So, my above recommendation stands.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 127,285 times
i recently returned to winchester after 30 years in louisville and it is SO nice not to hear shooting, sirens and screaming 24-7. the only thing i've really noticed that has changed is the drug problem that has popped up and that is so sad. i would love to see programs set up for drug abuse, spouse abuse and to get the less fortunate the help they need, not handouts, but a hand up. winchester is a great place to raise kids, low crime compared to the larger kentucky cities.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 127,285 times
Default we've come a looooong way, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowdude View Post
Winchester - no public transportation(only a pt taxi),no mall,no bike paths,no good paying jobs,no intelligence(I've traveled a lot,these are truly the most ignorant people I have ever come across-they actually take pride in their low intelligence).Horrible drug problem,lots of seedy areas,no shelter for homeless,no services for the blind,no noise ordinance,no portable basketball goal ordinance,no nice parks.For some strange reason the people in Winchester talk very loud.Drive-thru liquor stores!The worst drivers on earth,lots of petty crime,high suicide rate,corrupt police,crumbling sidewalks(if you can even find a sidewalk).If you need medical care,Lexington is the place to go,but only if you can afford a taxi(the retarded folks have it pretty tied up ,as the place they used to get rides quit-this can really delay your ride and be unnerving,as these folks are unpredictabl).The town is crowded and loaded with brats(no supervision-they run wild like packs of dogs,and are completely disrespectful).Just today alone,a neighbor was arrested for robbery,and several children were trespassing in my yard and refused to leave(cursing and threatening me),and a adult visitor next door was snooping around on my patio.My advice-unless you are a creep,don't move here.
as far as i am concerned, i don't understand why u are living here if u have NOTHING good to say about the town i grew up in. i remember when the only fast food restaurants where the jackson house and the dairy queen. i remember leeds theatre and town hall. i remember when we had to go to lexington because there were no malls or big stores in town. now we have the bypass, the renovated downtown area, new community college, new businesses. do u not have a car? if not, then i suggest u call a friend. winchester only had a population of 10,000 when i was coming up and now it has more than doubled. and yes, we LOVE our ale-8s. we have improved greatly, though we still need to address our drug problem as other small towns do too. i say hooray for winchester!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,248,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Yep... hey, I'll give my friend credit. His whole family is the pickup driving, "been to jail 4 times", haven't worked a real job a day in their lives, kind of people, as well as pretty much everyone else he knew in that town. Yet he at least got his stuff together and got the heck out of there. So it CAN be done. And of course, not EVERYONE there is a drug addict loser - but they do seem to have a higher-than-average number of them in that area, though.

He did though, say that the Paris and Nicholasville (spelling?) areas were a LOT nicer in terms of quality of people, though.
Can't comment on Paris.

Actually, Nicholasville, Mt. Sterling, Richmond, and to a developing extent Lawrenceburg are all Lexington suburbs/exurbs that share considerable similarities with Winchester. (Winchester is the very worst, though.) Large portions of these towns look like the "land that time forgot." Mullets, scroungy-dressin' people, lazy linguistics (including very thick and annoying accents,) and confederate flags saying "Dern Tootin', I'm a Rebel" or some such message are very common in each of these towns.

My dad worked in Winchester in the late 1990s. You'll be hard pressed to find a more caring yet strictly professional man than him. He was ecstatic to get out of Winchester and has never looked back.

Not to sound like a snob, but the more "educated" small towns near Lexington--Frankfort, Wilmore, and Danville--will have the smallest sector of white trash, lowest percentage of their populations as a "welfare state," highest qualities of life, nice parks, and stronger homeowner and community pride.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-13-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 AM

237 posts, read 770,687 times
I love Winchester! My 1st cousin lives there and I have visited often. Her husband is a pharmacist in town and they are very active in the community. If you are looking for a nice small to medium size town I highly recommend it!

Dig~

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 22,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Can't comment on Paris.

Actually, Nicholasville, Mt. Sterling, Richmond, and to a developing extent Lawrenceburg are all Lexington suburbs/exurbs that share considerable similarities with Winchester. (Winchester is the very worst, though.) Large portions of these towns look like the "land that time forgot." Mullets, scroungy-dressin' people, lazy linguistics (including very thick and annoying accents,) and confederate flags saying "Dern Tootin', I'm a Rebel" or some such message are very common in each of these towns.

My dad worked in Winchester in the late 1990s. You'll be hard pressed to find a more caring yet strictly professional man than him. He was ecstatic to get out of Winchester and has never looked back.

Not to sound like a snob, but the more "educated" small towns near Lexington--Frankfort, Wilmore, and Danville--will have the smallest sector of white trash, lowest percentage of their populations as a "welfare state," highest qualities of life, nice parks, and stronger homeowner and community pride.
From reading your posts, I get the impression that you'd be hard pressed to find any place that meets your approval.

I find, generally, that the world you perceive without reflects the world within you. Whenever I go to Winchester, I find friendly, welcoming people, beautiful neighborhoods, and a very relaxed atmosphere. Oh, by the way, Winchester has one of the best and largest public libraries I've seen for a town of its size.

If you look for disappointment, you will find it. If you look for the good that is present, you will find it, too.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM

323 posts, read 990,319 times
I lived in Richmond for several years (and am a transplant from California) and I NEVER saw anything resembling the flag statement you've said is commonplace... *snort*

Annoying accents? Uhhhh.... this IS Kentucky and we do have accents here.

I will concede one thing.... some guys still like mullets... hehehe but that's just bad taste, not necessarily lack of education... last time I checked.. the hair is just a covering for the brain, and isn't indicative of the capabilities of the brain!

Respectfully, D.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,661 times
i just moved to winchester ky were are some good fle markets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or