U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 25,318 times
Default Winchester???

I'm thinking about moving to KY but I'm not sure which town. I was wondering how far Winchester was from Georgetown and if there are any good jobs in Winchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM

246 posts, read 705,687 times
Default highliner

Winchester is a great small-to-medium sized city. Its safe for people of all races, and is approximately 20 miles from Georgetown. Also, there are a significant number of automotive industry jobs available here, if you don't want to commute to Lex or G'town. The town is growing steadily, and features an old time pioneer-feel main street. Its well worth checking out.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM

321 posts, read 722,707 times
My impression of Winchester is progressive, small town with low crime, lower cost of housing and within reasonable driving distance to Lexington if needed for more job options. It sits right on I-64, so is very accessible to Airports in Lex, Lou, or Cincy or shopping in those three larger cities as well. Winchester has more of a small town feel, with a little more amenities than smaller towns. Hope this helps!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM

4,758 posts, read 7,806,953 times
Call Karyn Keely at Coldwell Banker McMahan in Winchester KY. She's a great friend of mine and a very good down to earth Realtor. She has sold all around Winchester (Paris-Bourbon Co is to the N-NW and Mt-Sterling-Montgomery Co is E-NE of Winchester) I have an old toll free number of 888-744-4894 and her e-mail is Hunt4karyn@aol.com

Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 22,379 times
I agree with the other posters. I've experienced friendly, welcoming people, the downtown area is historically restored and it's within a respectable commuting distance to Lexington.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 PM

9,118 posts, read 20,945,960 times
Wow - what good reviews so far. Ok, this might be more like stepping on chewing gum, but my roommate read this post and his eyebrows are still raised. He's from Winchester and is in the "over 45" age bracket and very down to earth, and he has more of a "warning" for people who are thinking of moving there.

His comments: He admittedly comes from a family that is from the "wrong side of the tracks". He left Winchester a few years back to get away from the bad elements that his "clan" were and hung out with, and moved to Atlanta for career reasons and now does very well both in career and on a personal level. I could write a book about his large family and numerous friends in that area that would scare anyone away from a 10 mile radius of Winchester. The stories of drug use, abuse, and dealing in that area ALONE sounds like a made-for-TV story.

His opinion is that it's a shame because Winchester has done a lot to restore what is now a very nice looking downtown area, and the economy isn't really bad overall, either. He just wanted to state that behind the restored brick facades there is a very serious problem with drugs and other things in that particular area that is larger than some other areas, that perhaps some people are unaware of. He said it is definately NOT the place he would want his children growing up in today (they are full grown now), if he could do it over again. He says he's not slamming the area - maybe one day the rather large bad element will leave, clean up their acts, or just get locked up and taken off the street, but until then, there are other burbs that don't have the same level of drug-related problems the Winchester area has.

I'm typing this for him because at an average of 3-5 words per minute, it would have taken him a month or so to do this. Just relaying his opinion and he says it's "no offense" to any particular person or group reading this. He just wanted to express an alternate opinion from someone who was born and raised in that area.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 AM

190 posts, read 583,922 times
I have to agree with Atlantagreg's friend about the problems in that area. Not too long ago we were out antiquing, and went to Winchester. Twice we were stopped as we walked around the main street areas to ask if we were "buying", and I don't mean antiques! I got turned around searching for one flea market, and went into one section that was pretty rough, and not too far from the town. Let's just say I got out of there double quick! Winchester seems to have liquor stores pretty much everywhere. However, there is a historic district in Winchester that is beautiful, with homes that need to be put in magazines they are so pretty! I guess we have to take the bad with the good. To me, it's a good town to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM

9,118 posts, read 20,945,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
I have to agree with Atlantagreg's friend about the problems in that area. Not too long ago we were out antiquing, and went to Winchester. Twice we were stopped as we walked around the main street areas to ask if we were "buying", and I don't mean antiques! I got turned around searching for one flea market, and went into one section that was pretty rough, and not too far from the town. Let's just say I got out of there double quick! Winchester seems to have liquor stores pretty much everywhere. However, there is a historic district in Winchester that is beautiful, with homes that need to be put in magazines they are so pretty! I guess we have to take the bad with the good. To me, it's a good town to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Yep... hey, I'll give my friend credit. His whole family is the pickup driving, "been to jail 4 times", haven't worked a real job a day in their lives, kind of people, as well as pretty much everyone else he knew in that town. Yet he at least got his stuff together and got the heck out of there. So it CAN be done. And of course, not EVERYONE there is a drug addict loser - but they do seem to have a higher-than-average number of them in that area, though.

He did though, say that the Paris and Nicholasville (spelling?) areas were a LOT nicer in terms of quality of people, though.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 8,191 times
Thumbs down winchester sucks

Winchester - no public transportation(only a pt taxi),no mall,no bike paths,no good paying jobs,no intelligence(I've traveled a lot,these are truly the most ignorant people I have ever come across-they actually take pride in their low intelligence).Horrible drug problem,lots of seedy areas,no shelter for homeless,no services for the blind,no noise ordinance,no portable basketball goal ordinance,no nice parks.For some strange reason the people in Winchester talk very loud.Drive-thru liquor stores!The worst drivers on earth,lots of petty crime,high suicide rate,corrupt police,crumbling sidewalks(if you can even find a sidewalk).If you need medical care,Lexington is the place to go,but only if you can afford a taxi(the retarded folks have it pretty tied up ,as the place they used to get rides quit-this can really delay your ride and be unnerving,as these folks are unpredictabl).The town is crowded and loaded with brats(no supervision-they run wild like packs of dogs,and are completely disrespectful).Just today alone,a neighbor was arrested for robbery,and several children were trespassing in my yard and refused to leave(cursing and threatening me),and a adult visitor next door was snooping around on my patio.My advice-unless you are a creep,don't move here.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,191 times
Thumbs down winchester ky

These folks have a real addiction to Ale-8...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky