Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 15,696 times

Advertisements

Am being considered for a job transfer to Owensboro area and am looking for information. I see that Owensboro is on the Ohio River separating Kentucky from Indiana. What are the differences in local, county and state taxes on either side of the River? Is there an advantage to living in one state than the other? Does it matter which state you work vs live in?

I will be moving from New Orleans and know that it will probably be somewhat of a culture shock, I am hoping for the better. What areas might I consider looking at to live? I am a middle aged single male who is not interested in the bar scene or sports for that matter. I love photography and spend most of my free time with that. I also hope to become active within the community in a variety of volunteer positions.

Thanks for any and all input, I will certainly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,405 times
Hi,

After living else where for the past 12 years or so, I recently moved back to Owensboro.

Honestly, there are good and bad areas like anywhere else. But regardless of the fact that it's the third largest city in Kentucky, it still is a small town. After living in Atlanta and near San Diego for so long, it seems even smaller.

It's good that you don't like the bar or club scene because there really aren't any worth mentioning. There are a couple of museums that are ok, but they are small town museums (I really miss Balboa Park in SD).

The good news is that if you are into nature photography, then it's a really good place and the surrounding countryside is beautiful.

I don't know anything about the tax differences, but honestly, there isn't much difference between the two sides of the river. About 30 minutes or so from Owensboro there is Evansville in Indiana, which is a bigger town. Depending on what you do, I think you'd make more money in Evansville than Owensboro.

Laine

Old 07-28-2007, 02:57 PM

43 posts, read 54,232 times
We did tons of investigating before we moved from Florida to Kentucky. It is not bad working in Owensboro, but we chose to live in Breckinridge county next door to Daviess county because of lower crime, taxes, cheaper acreage, etc. It is a nice drive from Breck to Daviess because you can take S.R. 60 all the way there. Check it out.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 13,633 times
I can't tell you much about the taxes or differences along those lines either but I do think if you are not interested in the "bar scene" or sports (no major sports teams...only local high school teams and 2 small colleges) I think O'boro may be a great fit for you. Ellainey is right about the scenery...O'boro as well as surrounding counties would be great for photography. Or, as DoubleBRanch said, one of the surrounding counties may be a better fit for you if you would like a peaceful, relaxing drive to work. O'boro is not a bad place to live if you are not looking for a lot of excitement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky