U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,964,144 times

Advertisements

What does it mean to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,974,515 times
I find people in KY full of southern hospitality - much more so than in other places in the south that we have vacationed. To me it means smiling people who say hello, consideration for other's feelings, teenagers that you don't know saying hello and calling you sir and ma'am, when you ask a stranger for directions, they practically get in the car with you to show you where you need to go, generosity of spirit, manners, kindness and concern.

Now of course there are inconsiderate types in the south too - just fewer than other places.

One of my most recent examples of how people treat you KY: I called a little shop in Prospect called The Lady Bug - a nice gift shop that carries a variety of things. My best friend lives in Prospect and it was her birthday. I explained to the sales clerk that I needed to purchase a few things I had seen there while visiting and that I was in California - I asked if they delivered and they said usually not but they would be happy to accommodate me. They not only beautifully gift wrapped my purchases but they delivered them to my friend on her birthday - no extra charge. They were so friendly and kind during the whole transaction. This just simply would not happen in Southern California.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Catt that is wonderful! I bet you'll be a repeat customer there, too!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 PM

6,561 posts, read 13,772,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I find people in KY full of southern hospitality - much more so than in other places in the south that we have vacationed. To me it means smiling people who say hello, consideration for other's feelings, teenagers that you don't know saying hello and calling you sir and ma'am, when you ask a stranger for directions, they practically get in the car with you to show you where you need to go, generosity of spirit, manners, kindness and concern.

Now of course there are inconsiderate types in the south too - just fewer than other places.

One of my most recent examples of how people treat you KY: I called a little shop in Prospect called The Lady Bug - a nice gift shop that carries a variety of things. My best friend lives in Prospect and it was her birthday. I explained to the sales clerk that I needed to purchase a few things I had seen there while visiting and that I was in California - I asked if they delivered and they said usually not but they would be happy to accommodate me. They not only beautifully gift wrapped my purchases but they delivered them to my friend on her birthday - no extra charge. They were so friendly and kind during the whole transaction. This just simply would not happen in Southern California.
Louisville has some wonderful small boutiques all over the metro. There is also a FIERCELY independent, anti-chain mentality in many local small business owners and local consumers, exemplified in this local motto

keep Louisville weird ®

I think the small shop owners in general will go out of their way to accomodate you, as that is how they win customer loyalty over cold chains which lack personality and customer service.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,814,554 times
To me Southern Hospitality means treating all people with respect, yet holding others accountable too. It means recognizing a lady or a gentlemen by being a lady or a gentleman too.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:15 AM

I agree with tomocox and cattknap! To me it means a warm gesture, a smile and a hello to strangers, a helping hand when needed as well.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM

458 posts, read 2,563,360 times
Basically just being friendly, saying hello, waving to neighbors, etc.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM

10 posts, read 36,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
To me Southern Hospitality means treating all people with respect, yet holding others accountable too. It means recognizing a lady or a gentlemen by being a lady or a gentleman too.
Ditto! My idea of it too.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:11 AM

I am not sure how I stumbled on this again but I would like to get more ideas on this. What does it mean to you?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,728,414 times
Once under my roof a guest is to be treated with courtesy, no matter how he/she acts. They may never be invited back, or allowed inside my home again, but while they are in my home I will be nice to them. I also try to smile and be nice to people I meet in any situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or