Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM

75 posts, read 214,062 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new home where there are major malls, good access to interstates, good schools, good high school lacrosse program, close to an airport, new contruction housing (Maybe a spec) (250,00-350000) within a 20 -30 min drive of Lexington. Prefer a somewhat suburban to rural feel,(Prefer Northern areas) (have family in Cinci)
Any one have a suggestion?

thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMH47 View Post
I am looking for a new home where there are major malls, good access to interstates, good schools, good high school lacrosse program, close to an airport, new contruction housing (Maybe a spec) (250,00-350000) within a 20 -30 min drive of Lexington. Prefer a somewhat suburban to rural feel,(Prefer Northern areas) (have family in Cinci)

Hmm, Lexington doesn't have suburbs 20-30 mins from downtown, it is mostly country 20 miles from downtown. Lexington does not really have suburbs for that matter. It is really more like you live in town in a subdvision or downtown or you live in an outlying small town like Georgetown, Versailles, or Nicholasville. None of them have major malls. Versailles is my favorite small town, it is quite quaint. It is close to Lexington's small airport, but beware there are not too many direct flights from there. Lexington really only has one major mall, and that is Fayette mall, with the nearby Hamburg shoppes. Fayette is a nice mall and has recently added some semi uspcale tenants. Lexington has fairly poor interstate access, and virtually no one uses interstates to commute about the city as I-64 and I-75 are the only interstates nearby and they circle around Lexington's core and almost all of its attractions. I think Georgetown is pretty nice as a small town just minutes north of downtown, and it has good interstate access. That said, there is not much in the way of retail in Georgetown and I wouldn't exactly call it a suburban area.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 AM

Thanks for that info. What about school districts? Which are the best in the Lexington area?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
I agree with stx on Versailles. A nice little town.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Try this site to get school ratings:

GreatSchools.net

Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 PM

283 posts, read 1,025,830 times
Quote:

BMH,

You've posted this question multiple times before in different formats, and I think you've received some great responses. I'm not sure that everything you are looking for is a reality of the location you are mentioning. As I remember your spouse will be working in Lexington and lacrosse was a huge issue to you. Why not move into the Dunbar high school district in the SW section of Lexington? Suburban, shopping, close to airport, lacrosse team in a good high school, not all that far of a drive to Cinci. From your previous posts I can't visualize you being happy in Versailles or Georgetown.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Thanks for your input.
I posted a few times because after you get a few days beyond your post it seems like the interest in your question fades. Probably because people are looking at and responding to the new posts first. I just like to get differing opinions. I have heard everything from the lacrosse is strong to there is no lacrosse to be found in the area. So you see, the more people I hear from the more I can see a pattern to the responses, and get a better feel for what the reality is. I do agree though that Dunbar does seem like a good compromise. My Husband is there today and is scouting the area. We should have a better feel after next weekend when we visit.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input.
I posted a few times because after you get a few days beyond your post it seems like the interest in your question fades. Probably because people are looking at and responding to the new posts first. I just like to get differing opinions. I have heard everything from the lacrosse is strong to there is no lacrosse to be found in the area. So you see, the more people I hear from the more I can see a pattern to the responses, and get a better feel for what the reality is. I do agree though that Dunbar does seem like a good compromise. My Husband is there today and is scouting the area. We should have a better feel after next weekend when we visit.
Lexington has lacrosse teams, but it is just not a huge deal there. I do agree with the above poster that you would probably be happiest near Dunbar or even Lexington Catholic. You will consider this area "suburban," even though it is part of Lexington proper. May I also add that Lexington has a remarkably clean and safe downtown and surrounding areas, so perhaps you may want to look there if you like historic homes?

Also, when it comes to KY, Louisville and the NKY suburbs of Cincinnati offer much more suburbs, malls, and all that kind of jazz.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Hi BHM,

I agree - I think you will find Lexington to be smaller than you might be picturing it. I think your best bet would be the Dunbar area of Lexington or moving directly to the Cinci area. Geographically, Georgetown might be an option but it doesn't offer the amenities that you're seeking (lacrosse, mall, etc). The shopping in Georgetown consists mainly of a Wal-mart, Lowe's, Kohl's, K-mart, Kroger grocery, and some smaller local and chain stores. There are a lot of antique stores in the downtown area. The restaurants are mostly mid-level chains (like Applebee's) and some local cafes, diners, and coffee shops. There is a hospital. It is a nice town, but has more of a rural, small town feel than a typical suburban feel, with a lot of people who still farm and lots of "country folk". Its advantage would be that it is about 30-45 minutes closer to Cincinnati than SW Lexington, via I-75, and there are some nice homes similar to what you desribed (new construction, etc) in your price range. However, you would have to travel to Lexington or Cincinnati for shopping, and most likely would have to use an independent club for lacrosse. Even further north, towns like Dry Ridge and Williamstown will be a much longer drive to Lexington and offer fewer amenities than Georgetown. Until you get into the KY suburbs of Cincinnati (which I'm not familiar with), you are dealing with lots of isolated small towns and rural counties. It doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

If I were you, I would drive through Georgetown and take a look, but I think you will be happiest within the city of Lexington or Cincinnati.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Hi BHM,

I agree - I think you will find Lexington to be smaller than you might be picturing it. I think your best bet would be the Dunbar area of Lexington or moving directly to the Cinci area. Geographically, Georgetown might be an option but it doesn't offer the amenities that you're seeking (lacrosse, mall, etc). The shopping in Georgetown consists mainly of a Wal-mart, Lowe's, Kohl's, K-mart, Kroger grocery, and some smaller local and chain stores. There are a lot of antique stores in the downtown area. The restaurants are mostly mid-level chains (like Applebee's) and some local cafes, diners, and coffee shops. There is a hospital. It is a nice town, but has more of a rural, small town feel than a typical suburban feel, with a lot of people who still farm and lots of "country folk". Its advantage would be that it is about 30-45 minutes closer to Cincinnati than SW Lexington, via I-75, and there are some nice homes similar to what you desribed (new construction, etc) in your price range. However, you would have to travel to Lexington or Cincinnati for shopping, and most likely would have to use an independent club for lacrosse. Even further north, towns like Dry Ridge and Williamstown will be a much longer drive to Lexington and offer fewer amenities than Georgetown. Until you get into the KY suburbs of Cincinnati (which I'm not familiar with), you are dealing with lots of isolated small towns and rural counties. It doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

If I were you, I would drive through Georgetown and take a look, but I think you will be happiest within the city of Lexington or Cincinnati.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
take a look at the Florence/Union Ky 41042,Especially Union Ky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky