U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
mxb mxb started this thread

6 posts, read 4,910 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our oldest granddaughter live in a small mountain community on our 5 acre ranch in central CA . My husband is in construction/estimating/welding, Of course there hasn't been any work in those fields in CA for quite a while.

Our daughter and son-in-law are at Fort Campbell with their family. We are looking at us moving out there and all of us buying a big house (at least 6bds) with farmland. We have found some we like outside of Hopkinsville. We have researched online a lot. I have read a lot of posts on here both good and bad about the area, most of them were a few years old though. We kow ALL places have good and bad things about them, there are no perfect places.

So.... Jobs- handyman, welding, estimating, etc
Housing- around $240,000 House with at least 6bds, and land
Commute time- up to 1 1/2 hrs
Schools- public depends on the teachers, would consider private
Our granddaughter is an Honor Roll student in middle school. We don't want to see her grades fall.
Environment- as rural as we can and still be close to Ft. Campbell
Amenities- We aren't very particular-nice people, gas&market
Right now we drive 45 min. to the city once a month to stock up on food, go 15 min. into town 2-4 times a week for milk, bank, feedstore etc. otherwise we are working on our ranch.
Pie or cake- Me-Pie but I LOVE to bake and decorate cakes Husband and granddaughter- cake & pie

Monica
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 PM

5,363 posts, read 7,539,187 times
Hi, Monica. I live in Cadiz, in Trigg County, about 20 miles from Hopkinsville. My son-in-law is stationed at Ft. Campbell and presently deployed to Afghanistan. This is his 2nd time at Ft. Campbell. First time he was stationed here, and this was before he met my step daughter, he told his buddies this is where he wanted to retire from the Army. They bought a house (3 BR, 2 bath, with a full basement set up as a 1 br apartment. This is on 14 acres and they bought it for $140,000. They are in the south part of the county. As the crow flies they are about 5 miles from Ft. Campbell. Driving it's around 20. You can hear all the training going on from time to time.
The Trigg County School System is very good. Trigg Co. High School won a bronze medal in the U.S. News Best High Schools in 2010. Our granddaughter is going to the middle school now and grandson is in the elementary. They moved here from South Carolina and both grandkids have improved dramatically. Trigg County Schools | Cadiz, KY . Cadiz is a small town of about 3,000. Cadiz people are friendly people. There are 2 grocery stores (not including the convenience markets). If you like to hunt, fish, or just enjoy the outdoors, we are about 15 miles from the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area (Land Between The Lakes), 170,000 acres between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake with no commercial or residential area anywhere from one end to the other.
Like I said we have 2 groceries in town but most people drive the 18 miles to Hopkinsville, or 35 miles to Murray, once a week to stock up on food. Right now, gas here in Cadiz is $2.84.9. I gassed up in Hopkinsville this afternoon for $261.9. I mentioned Murray. That's where Murray State University is located. For the 20th year, Murray State has been rated one of the best colleges in the country by U.S. News and World Report. Murray State University on the Web . Murray's school of agriculture offers an animal/equine science program.
As far as jobs for your husband, there is a company here that makes semi trailers, needing welders. Couldn't tell you a lot about them, but the plant always seem busy. Also U.S. 68/Ky. 80 highway is in the process of being 4 laned from one end of the state to the other. The bridges over the 2 lakes I mentioned earlier are going to be replaced. Construction for the Lake Barkley bridge ($165 million)is scheduled for next year. The approaches are already being prepared on the LBL side. Construction for the Kentucky Lake bridge ($165 million) is scheduled to start in 2012. You can go to this site Trigg County (http://transportation.ky.gov/progmgmt/sypmaps/d_1/Trigg.html# - broken link) , and see the projects for Trigg County. The bridges I'm talking about are the 2 pink crosses on the left.
I'll quit rambling, but hope I helped out a little too. Wherever you decide to move, welcome to Kentucky!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 AM

kygman- Thank for the information. Our son-in-law is also deployed in Afghanistan right now-for the second time, our daughter will probably be going for her second time early next year. I wouldn't mind hearing the training at all. We did look online at a couple of places in Trigg county. Our daughter is talking to a realtor today about a few places. We were not too impressed by the stats online about the schools in Hopkinsville, we will have to check out the private ones also. We love small towns-live outside of one now. Hopkinsville is a little bigger than what we like, but we would not be living in town anyway.

We have been checking out LBL online.WOW!! we are drooling-can't wait to get out there and enjoy the outdoors. We are very outdoor oriented people. We live in the mts. and love to spend time doing things around here. But of course there is NO water around here. There is a lake 20 miles away though. Hunting is not very good out here-short season and scrawny deer. It sounds like there is good fishing-I can't wait to catch my very first fish!

Gas is around $3.09 here right now! Our grandaughter that we raise recently changed her future from a vetrinarian to either an anthropologist or archaeologist, so we have been looking at colleges that have courses involving those fields. Although she also is in middle school so we have time.

Right now we go into the city 40 mi. away once every couple of months to stock up and go to the market in between for more milk etc. My husband has been looking online around there and says that there is so much more going on there than here that he should be able to find something. And since he does not mind driving( he was driving 1 1/2 hrs. one way) then he has a lot more options at hand.

Well guess I rambled on enough. Thanks for the welcome!
Monica

Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Need anything else just let me know. As far as the driving to work, my parents live in Mayfield and my dad worked for 35 years at the Gaseous Diffusion Plant outside Paducah, 90 miles round trip. But every year of that was carpooling.
You mentioned the lakes, Kentucky Lake is the largest artificial lake, by acreage, east of the Mississippi River. That's why I don't have much luck fishing there. I bank fish and there's a whole lotta water out there for the fish to get away from me! lol

Last edited by kygman; 11-29-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 05:43 PM

What about auto racing? I am sure there is some. What kinds and where. I know there is no NASCAR track in KY. But I would bet there are some dirt tracks. Is there any monster trucks?

Monica

Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM

3,791 posts, read 5,079,227 times
I live in Murray and kygman summed things up perfectly. As far as racing, Kentucky Speedway They will have a cup race next season and have had Busch series (I still call it that), IRL, etc there for years. Dirt tracks, Paducah International Raceway has tons of action and have the monster trucks once in a while. Great place for a low-cost family night out.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM

There IS NASCAR in Kentucky. The track at Sparta will host the Sprint Cup race July 9th. Dale, Jr., Tony Stewart, and Ken Schrader (sp?) bought the Paducah International Raceway (that's about 50 miles up I-24 from Cadiz). PIR is a dirt track. All 3 men come down and race every now and then. Don't know a lot about it but there's a dirt track near Kentucky Dam. I think it's Ky. Lake Raceway. The one thing I would like to have seen there (not sure they're doing it any more) was the school bus demolition derby, with the track supplying the busses!
Paducah International Raceway . Mud bogs seem to have been picking up around the area the past year or so.
If you like motorcycles, the Little Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is always the third weekend in July in Sturgis, Ky., about 70 miles away. I used to live there. A town of 2000 swamped with 25,000 bikers for the weekend.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM

That;s great!! We haven't watched NASCAR for about 5 years. We decided that we get lots more done with no tv, so we unpluged it and when we moved to the mountains we did not get a dish. That is one of the few things that we miss. We have not been to the races in years-it's so expensive in CA. We like racing of ALL kinds. Thanks!
Monica

Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Monica it dawned on me this morning there is also a NASCAR track in Nashville, Tn., which is about an hour from here. It's on the Nationwide schedule.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,763 times
Hello Everyone,
Thank you Kygman and KentuckyDad95 for posting all this useful info. Hubby and I are also looking in Ky., because it seems we can get most for our little money. Hubby is retired army. Did 2 tours in Iraq. I myself am a total foreigner, by birth and not by choice....lol. We've been living in NE PA for 6 yrs now. Moved here for NJ to get away from the crowd,unfortunately the crowd has found us. We are drowning in rudeness and and we are trying to save our children from the "CANCEROUS ENTITLEMENT .....Me,me,me....ME 5 MINUTES AGO, MF !!!! SYNDROME" Not a fan of NYC Cosmopolitanism. We are looking in all parts of KY, and we really like the South East corner. We try to stay close to small towns, good and hones people who stand on their feet. Any suggestions?
Thank you again.
p.s. I know our handle is " i wanna live in OK", but their property prices on getting really high which means a lot of people are moving there. We prefer quieter and slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky